ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

phantom rx580 throttling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapyink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: phantom rx580 throttling
    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 2:19am
card throttles with iracing open, fps is capped at 84, when it throttles it drops to the low 60's
Therapyink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapyink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
guessing the answer is don't buy anything AS Rock?????? thanks For the Help!
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 5:35am
Not sure if I can help, but could you give some more details? Does the framerate drop even if nothing special is happening on screen or is there some other reason you think it's throttling and not just unable to handle what iRacing is throwing at it? Are you using some program to monitor temps, frequencies etc. (I don't know if iRacing has any tools for performance monitoring)? What are your full system specs and are you also monitoring the CPU during these episodes?
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapyink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 5:34am
it seems to do it more when I back out of driving and am just in the lobby if you will, I have a ryzen 3 2200, b350 asrock pro4, with 16 gb of ram, my old 1050ti never did the throttling or anything so assumed it was just the card, I am not sure how to monitor the cpu while ingame, will have to look into that, considering going to a ryzen 7 with a new b450 board
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:09am
I've no experience with iRacing, so I don't know how the lobby has been coded, but for example in Overwatch the framerate is never above 60 outside actual gameplay and that's because the menus have been coded that way, not because the GPU can't handle the menus. However, if I understood correctly the framerate varies both in the lobby and during gameplay. Neither of these are in itself a sign of throttling, as it's quite normal that the framerate varies. Also, without experience playing iRacing on a similar system, I've no reference point for what the "normal" FPS readings should be like. So, here are a few simple things you could try to identify the problem:

1. If you have the newest Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition installed, there are some performance metrics available to you that you can turn on via the Radeon Overlay. Unless iRacing is incompatible with the overlay, you should be able to monitor for example GPU temperature, GPU load, CPU load etc. (but unfortunately not CPU temperature) with no external software necessary.

2. You can monitor several of your system parameters using e.g. CPUID's HWMonitor. Just start it up before you start up iRacing and after a short session check back to see what the max values for CPU temp, GPU temp etc. Or if you can run iRacing in windowed mode, monitor how the different values change during gameplay when the FPS value drops. If the GPU or CPU temperature is high and you see the clock speeds dropping, then it's possible your system is suffering from thermal throttling.

By the way, what sort of FPS figures were you getting with the 1050 Ti?
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:43pm
The easiest way to monitor your CPU and GPU usage in games is MSI's Afterburner. You can enable an on screen display and set it to show you a wide variety of statistics.

I typically configure it to show:

FPS:
GPU usage:
CPU usage:
CPU Temp:
GPU Temp:

You can additionally set it to show thermal throttling indicators as well as voltage throttling. You may want to look at some tutorials to use it on youtube. As a general rule, if your CPU is at 100% usage and your GPU is nowhere near 100% usage then the CPU is holding you back. On the flip side, the GPU is holding you back if the CPU is at a lower usage than the GPU by a wide margin. The goal is to adjust settings (resolution and quality) until the CPU and GPU are within 20% of each other and FPS are acceptable. This offers the best visual performance with the least stutter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapyink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:53pm
with the 1050 I was down around 45 -60, never had a throttle to it, This thing you can hear the fans slow down on the GPU when it does it.. have a new MB and Ryzen 7 coming, so may re apply Thermal paste on the Card when I put it all togetherThank you Both for the info, as soon as I can get back ingame will see what I can find out on cpu or gpu spikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapyink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:54pm
using the radeon software the gpu is at 100% as soon as the game opens, cpu never really gets over 35%

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapyink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:53am
gpu temps go to 77c to 79c almost instantly as well.. will re doint==g the thermal paste fix that?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:20am
I can't say if redoing the thermal paste will make a difference. Even if you use a good quality thermal paste, I would not expect significant gains unless something has gone wrong in the application of the original thermal paste. The temperatures you are seeing are not unheard of for an RX580 under max load, so I wouldn't worry too much about them, but if you want to lower the temperatures, I would suggest using the Radeon software to perform a mild undervolt (take 50 mV off the higher performance states to start with).

Does the GPU load and temp stay the same during the episodes when you see 60 FPS? What about GPU clockspeed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic