ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 taichi new bios bad flash? Halp!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acommunistrobot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 taichi new bios bad flash? Halp!
    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:23am
Today I upgraded to the newest BIOS listed for my board (5.1?) I had installed the required AMD drivers yesterday.

Now, on boot up I get post codes 36, f2, f9 in that order, and no video from either HDMI or DP on either card (no integrated graphics)

I have tried:
Clearing cmos (remove battery, power sources and hold power buttons left battery out for half an hour or zo)
Reseating RAM
Reseating RAM in different slots
Tried each stick (running a dual channel 16gb kit) in a different slot
Removing RAM entirely
Removing both gpu's, tried them individually in each pcie slot available
Tried putting USB drive with all past bios updates in rear slot and hitting various F keys after the UEFI(Should be) displays.
Left the pc running for several hours after a bootup to black screen

I have not removed my cpu, but as it and everything else was functioning fine until the 5.1 update, I don't see how that could help.
I did follow the bios update order on the website any time I updated and had no problems until now.

If I even just had video it would make resolving this much easier.

Build is:
X370 taichi
Ryzen 1800x
Corsair vengeance pro rgb 3200mhz 16gb
2x rtx 2089 xc/xc ultra
Western digital 2tb m.2 ssd
Dark rock pro 4 cooler

Any suggestions? I am inclined to believe I f'd up the flash somehow but unsure of where to go from here.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:06am
Hhm, what was your previous BIOS version? If it has been earlier thsn 3.30 it's bad.

Otherwise you've done pretty much eveything. Maybe it's time for an ASUS?
Acommunistrobot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acommunistrobot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:10am
Went from 4.8 to 5.1. Thinking I just need a new board as I doubt asrock will replace a year old board.
garych View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

Hhm, what was your previous BIOS version? If it has been earlier thsn 3.30 it's bad.

Otherwise you've done pretty much eveything. Maybe it's time for an ASUS?

You can't accidentally not flash 3.30 before flashing newer version as newer ones simply won't show up in the list unless you have 3.30 flashed first.
Exsosus2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exsosus2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 5:36pm
Hi, was your CPU clocked to the default speed before upgrading? In other words, not OC'd? Not downclocking to the default again may cause this probelm and it did for me for the similair motherboard: X370 Professional Gaming, one younger brother from your board.

Well, let us know. If the answer is yet, run the 'reset' button on your motherboard. There is no reason to remove the CMOS battery after the reset button was introduced (according to ASrock).
Exsosus2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exsosus2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 5:38pm
Hi, was your CPU clocked to the default speed before upgrading? In other words, not OC'd? Not downclocking to the default again may cause this probelm and it did for me for the similair motherboard: X370 Professional Gaming, one younger brother from your board.

Well, let us know. If the answer is yet, run the 'reset' button on your motherboard. There is no reason to remove the CMOS battery after the reset button was introduced (according to ASrock).

Now I'm stable. If your board still will not upgrade after resetting its probably defective.

On a personal note, I advise not getting Asus boards. ASRock has a higher quality of reliability if you look at statistics for the year 2018.
Acommunistrobot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acommunistrobot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:47pm
CPU was running stock settings. As far as I can tell the cmos button does nothing in this case but neither did the battery removal and cold boot
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:15pm
It's time for a new mobo...
Exsosus2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exsosus2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 5:27am
Hi again. Your mobo is most likely defective. Buy a new ASRock board or a different company. I for one recommend: ASRock or Gigabyte as they have very high reliability (99%). Asus has 89% for the year 2018. Still one of the higher boards though so I am not completely against that company.

Wish you the best on your new purchase.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 6:34am
I would love to see the source of your statistics.

Judging by web forums alone, I'd say ASRoock has the most duds.

Also, some models are more prone to defects than other, so generalizing about brands is stupid in most cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic