ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z390 Taichi Ultimate 10GbE network overheating?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi Ultimate 10GbE network overheating?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi Ultimate 10GbE network overheating?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:24pm
Hi!

In two weeks after installing 10GbE network 3 times it stopped working with 'network cable unplugged' error. Reinstalling drivers, rebooting windows did not help. When switching the cable to 1GbE port it was working normally, so the other side should not be in fault. Intially I thought that I have dead 10GbE network, but it started to work after cold boot (shutting down computer and restarting).

One common thing was that network stopped working after few hour gaming sessions or runing PCU heavy simulations. This made me think about overheating, as my 10GbE network adapter gets quite hot and I assume the onboard chip is not much different. The onboard chip heatsink is under VRM heathins and enclosed within plastic cover - this certanly does not help with cooling.

So week ago took of the plastic cover and mounted 60mm fan blowing on the 1/3 of chip radiator that is visible (the rest is under VMR heatsink). Havn't got any network problems since then.

While this is not definite proof, it is quite suspicious. I have i9 9900k CPU, running on default settings, but VMRs get quite hot under CPU load, so I imagine that might lead to heating up the compartment the network chip heatsink is enclosed in.

I'll keep this post updated, but if I will not have any network shutdowns in future, I will have to assume that overheating was the problem.

Maphizto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maphizto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:58am
I don't have anything to add other than this also seems to be my problem. Haven't tried to add another fan as it seems crazy to just add a fan for the 10GbE.

Same thing as you described. Also i9 9900k. No overclocking. Network offline right in the middle of a gaming session. Rebooting did not help anything. Turned computer off, checked router/switch, came back a couple minutes later and it worked again. After another 20minutes network was offline again.
wiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:57pm
Yes, haven't had any problems since adding the fan, so now I'm pretty sure that helped. I'll try without the fan running - maybe improving air flow by just removing the plastic shroud is enough.

While adding additional fan might sound crazy - the 10GbE option was one of the main reasons why I picked this board. So without it working I'd asking myself a question - why this board and not simply taichi or even another brand.
Maphizto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maphizto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:42am
Excactly why I bought it. 10GbE. To use it now I need to remove a plastic and add a fan. Seems like we'd better have bought the little brother and manually add a 10GbE card.

I'm just dreading to rip the board out of the case to remove the plastic and try to figure out where the extra fan can be mounted.

Did no one test the 10GbE feature? It's winter here in Europe and running this board with a i9 9900k is not unusual, so this should have come up while developing the board. :(
krm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:09am
I've had the integrated NICs fail or have similar issues on several motherboards even on 1GBE connections. This has always been where I've used the PC as a CCTV or similar server with high continuous network traffic.

These days I buy better grade NIC controller cards which come with heat sinks and seem fine no matter what the load.   I've had similar issues with SATA ports over and above the Intel integrated ones and have also gone the separate card route there.

I think the 'how much can we jam on a motherboard' approach doesn't always work out that well in practice :-(
iggyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iggyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:13am
I had the same issue of the 10G overheating. I didn't know why it would fail after ~20min of runtime. I would shut down the computer and after a few minutes would reboot and 10G worked again for ~20min. Thanks to this post I tested the overheating issue by placing a quiet 120mm fan over the heat sinks. Problem solved! I also am running an open case so had no airflow over the area till I mounted the fan above it. I'm assuming, depending on the airflow of your case, some people may have issues and others may not. If you have a 10G problem, supply more airflow over the heat sinks and everything should work if you have an overheating issue. Thanks again for this post.
Maphizto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maphizto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:42am
Just wanted to add that removing the plastic shroud was indeed enough to get rid of the 10GBE network problems. Haven't had one failure since I removed the shroud. I don't have an extra fan.

Thank you wiper for posting your solution
morisey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morisey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
same issue , im using 10gbe to connect NAS , while i was using AIO 360 cpu (i9 9900k) cooler all was fine , then it decided to start drip on me. As soon as i changed to tower cpu cooler , connection to NAS started to drop after ~15-20 mins. Guess there is only few solutions , remove shroud and and additional vent. , go back to AIO or put custom loop.

All in all sh*ty underthought design.
CHnuschti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHnuschti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:59pm
10G ethernet adapter part name is AQC107.
Was able to test it several times (only over WAN/Internet). Delivered constant 8Gbit over ~ 10mins, no crashes.
There was a firmware upgrade 3.1.89 (from here 3.1.44), worked well here: https://www.aquantia.com/drivers-firmware/aqc-100/atlflashupdate_1-2-1_3-1-89/
Also installed the new driver from https://www.aquantia.com/support/driver-download/ 2.1.18, but there were some glitches, not really sure if it was driver related, switched back to 2.1.005 original from the asrock site.
I dont have issuses with it. I however dismounted the hole plastic cover crap from the mainboard, and did not mount any "additional" fans just for this adapter.
LocutusH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LocutusH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 8:29pm
Hi

I think i have the same issue on my X470 taichi ultimate.
Can anyone tell me how do i remove that plastic cover above the chip?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic