ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock X399 Professional Gaming DrDebug 0d error
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X399 Professional Gaming DrDebug 0d error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X399 Professional Gaming DrDebug 0d error
    Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 10:19pm
Hi, I just finished new build with 1950x on X399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming mobo, pretty inexperienced with building pcs so I hope you can point out at something that I did wrong.

Currently system doesn's boot, screen remains dark, DrDebug after cyclilng through a lot of options for around 30sec stops at 0d

Things I tried

- changing RAM, currently I picked up new HX430C15PB3K4/32 and tried it in pretty much all configurations, clearing CMOS after each try. 4 sticks, 2 sticks, 1 in slot B2, 1 in slot A2. I was really hoping that this is the problem as initially I ordered some G.SKILL sticks without checking Memory QVL and I thought that's why my PC doesnt want to boot

- tried both brand new gf 1070Ti and old gf 1050, in various combinations with RAM, same story, 0d after a while

- unplugged SSD from the mobo, unplugged USB 3.0 cable

any ideas what else I can try? is it possible I physically damaged something and that's the outcome disguised as memory/VGA/other device issue? closing the infamous foxconn socket wasnt fun...

complete spec:

SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black (SPC178)
HyperX DDR4, 32GB, 3000MHz, CL16 (HX430C15PB3K4/32)
[OLD G.Skill DDR4, 32GB, 3000MHz, CL16 (F4-3000C16D-32GISB)]
ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
Corsair HX850 (CP-9020138-EU)
SSD ADATA SU800 256GB SATA3 (ASU800SS-256GT-C)
Nzxt Kraken X62 v.2 (RL-KRX62-02)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8GB GDDR5 (256 bit) DVI-D, HDMI, 3xDP, BOX
(GV-N107TGAMING-8GD)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, 3.4GHz, 40MB (YD195XA8AEWOF)

majcy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 3:25am
^ quick update, actually only few minutes ago I switched my monitor's input source to the right one, looks like there's signal, I can get to the 1st screen with ASRock logo with ''press F2 for..'' etc. but it freezes and it's unresponsive to the keyboard, drDebug looks the same, stops at 0d, but I guess that working screen rules out some bad scenarios and should narrow down what is possibly wrong with my build?
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:37am
I'd say it's either the CPU not seated properly or Threadripper being fussy about memory yet again.

Try reseating the cpu; with the tray in the up position slide the cpu down on it's tray as far down as it will go and then make sure the chip actually lowers down on the pins in exactly the right position but without actually touching the pins of course. Then ensure you use the screwdriver that came with your Threadripper CPU as it has a function that 'clicks' or alerts you to when you have applied enough torsion to each screw.

All I can say about RAM incompatibility is you need to test with a completely different stick from somewhere.
majcy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:28pm
hey, thanks Jay, much appreciate your answer, just want to double check with someone else - can it really be the case that its CPU? I was actually quite happy with 0d error as it doesnt mention CPU as potential issue and there are other codes reserved for CPU problems.

Not sure if you had any experience with TR4 socket but it's a nightmare to tight down the screws, and exerting a lot of pressure on an expensive hardware is something I don't really want to do again, and even more so unplugging everything and taking out mobo to lay it down on the desk with better support is something I'm not looking forward to.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 9:34pm
I believe Jay is right. If memory serves me right, there were quite some X399 PG mobos with the faulty Foxconn CPU socket.

As a rule, one should always stick with QVL memory for a reason. Even more true with 1st gen TR & Ryzens.

If you decide to take it all apart, make sure you also check the RAM (DDR4 slots are not novice-friendly), GPU and cabling. Any loose contact may be causing this issue.
majcy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 5:06am
I took everything apart and rebuilt it from scratch, reseating the cpu, checking all the cabling and connections once again, took out the battery, cleared the CMOS with the button, same final outcome.

That 2nd set of hyperx RAM sticks that I've got is listed twice on the QVL memory list so I dont feel like buying 3rd set to check the RAM again.

Any ideas for the next step? Just return the mobo?
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 5:23am
Darn it!

Sorry, bro. It's now out of our hands. Try returning the mobo. Maybe get an ASUS if you can?
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 5:46am
Grr, there's been a couple of people that have had non-posting x399 boards in here. What to do when there's simply no post?
majcy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:08am
ok, I actually got it to POST!

I'm gonna take the blame on this one - the problem was USB 2.0 header that's connecting what appears to be a faulty card reader in the front panel of my case. Unplugging it did the trick.

Initially I just assumed that since no device is connected in the front panel all I should care about is if the header is fully in, not loose. I didn't want to unplug it as the water pump uses same header next to it and I wasn't sure which one of the two was which (laziness, all I had to do was run the cables through this mess) and I was worried that powering water cooling without all the cables connected might end bad

Anyway, thank you guys for your time and ideas, I hope this topic will help someone in future

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic