ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi Z390 overclocking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaDonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi Z390 overclocking
    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 7:06pm
INTRO AND VOLTAGES

I hope this information is useful. If you are reading this then I am probably already dead from starvation after not being able to afford food after buying a 9700K. I am using CPU burner that comes with MSI Kombustor v4 to load all cores as my stability test. I run it just for a few minutes and stop if the temps reach past 90 degrees. Using a fixed voltage works well but offset voltage gave the same results ( as checked with CPUID HWMonitor) no matter what value I entered?? Must be a bug in the <capslock> BIOS <capslock /> or something. So i just entered '5' for the voltage offset. Load line levels 1 to 5 were what I ended up using to adjust the 'voltage under load'. Here are the voltages under load for the different levels. Under no load the voltage would be about 0.8 to 1.0
Level 1 and 2 = too much for me.
Level 3 = 1.4
Level 4 = 1.3
level 5 =1.25

I ended up using Level 4 which as I sit here is reported by CUPID as 1.360 (the figures above are rough). My temps are 90+ degrees hovering just under thermal throttling. All cores of my 9700K are @ 5.1 ghz. I am fine with this overclock as no game will load the CPU like this so I imagine my temps will be mid 70's under normal conditions. The voltage is maybe a tad high but if the temps, again under normal usage, are fine I am okay with a high voltage. This brings me to frequency.

FREQUENCY

I am using all core overclocking because the other settings did not work as expected. I am sure this is a BIOS issue. I can complain about the lack of fine tuning given the confusing nature of the BIOS but I can deal with how it is and the taichi is the cheapest premium board. Will the offset frequency and voltage ever be fixed with an update? I hope so.

THOUGHTS

I do not mind eight physical cores at 5.1 ghz. No 2019 AMD chip is going to make me regret my decision to upgrade when I did. In the UK we need to heat the room anyway. I hope not to degrade the chip but am confident it will last for the four years I need out of it. Thanks for reading.
hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:30am
Thank you for your post SeaDonkey! Your speeds give me hope.

I too purchased a Z390 Taichi with a 9700k and got it all running last night. Without any overclocking, I have been impressed with its performance, but running at stock isn?™t why I bought a ?œK.??

I played in the bios for a couple of hours last night, read some articles and watched some YouTube videos, but in the end, nothing I did had any effect. And I mean nothing too. The core clock, the voltage, nothing. Even when I changed the CPU clock from 36 to 37 in the bios and the bios read 3700MHz, I thought I?™d save and boot into 3700MHz, but cpu-z was still showing 3594.74MHz.

I am sure it is something I?™m not doing correctly, hopefully something really simple like, ?œnot clicking an ?˜actually apply this on reboot??button or something.

Is there a guide on this forum that actually tells you what steps to follow to learn to overclock this bios, or a basic education guide in general? It?™s been along time since I?™ve done any overclocking, and never before on a GUI bios like this. I really like it, but it?™s a lot to take in, having access to so many settings.

Here is my current rig (gen 1 i5 oc?™d from 2.8 to 4.01, which has been running for 8 years, and my new rig, side-by-side)

Any assistance you can offer will be put into production for the next 8 years if history indeed repeats itself.

hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm
I thought I could embed a google image. I guess I was wrong. I'll try one from IMGUR now.
SeaDonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaDonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:48am
My old PC was an i5 too but you win with 8 years. Mine is a 4690k so a mere 4 years old. Still a good chip but 8th/9th gen being about 30% faster was enough. In the BIOS under OC Tweaker->CPU setting an all core ratio (F10 to save and exit but you know this) works for me and the frequency is reported correctly. When you go back to the BIOS are the values saved? Changing the voltage is only meaningful if you can monitor it. I fear that some very high voltages were put through my CPU before I started to use CPUID HWMonitor to see what was actually happening when the BIOS settings were changed. If in doubt a fixed voltage worked fine for me for this board. Re-read my first post because it may help you understand that the way my BIOS is set is the ONLY way I could find to make sense of this crazy motherboards sometimes nonsense settings. Eight more years for you four for me ;).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic