ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi Ultimate, no post, code 3E, 15, 67

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiongk25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi Ultimate, no post, code 3E, 15, 67
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:21pm
Hello,

I Recently purchased new MOBO. x470 Taichi Ultimate
Completed installation and plugged in power cord.
Computer turns on automatically and gives code: 3E, 15, 67 then dies.

Specs are as followed

CPU: R5 2600X and R3 2200G
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 TI Black
Memory: Trident Z RGB 16 GB 3200 CS 16
Storage: Samsung Evo 970 500 GB & Crucial MX500 2 TB
PSU: EVGA 850 G3

Troubled shoot by:

Removing ram and only booting with 1 stick.
Removed and replaced CPU with R3 2200g
Removed CPU fan to have easy access to replacing of both CPU
Thoroughly visually inspecting both CPU for bent pins, none found.

I did notice that in removing the CPU from the socket, there was an unusual click before the lever is in the full upright position.

Check EPS cables and swapped 4 pins EPS around in case one wasn't the right one.

All different variations gives same codes and computer still attempts to start without pressing power button.

I was never able to reach the BIOS since the computer dies after code 67.

I'm really at a lost and am not sure what to do next.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:55pm
Are you sure the last number is 67 not b7? b7 is RAM related and given that your RAM kit does not list any AM4 boards as supported on it's QVL that is what I suspect your problem may be.

As for the click on the socket when moving the lever, that is normal on most PGA sockets.
xiongk25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiongk25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:00pm
It could be the ram.

I did transfer over the ram from an Asus x470-i motherboard and it worked fine there.

Is it normal for one ram kit to work with a certain brand of motherboard compared to the next? I know that there are "AMD" ram kits but I had this ram kit from before and figured i'd use them.
xiongk25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiongk25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:02am
I'm going through the QVL list on the page and I found this kit

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
P/N: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W

It matches the parts as supported under "Memory QVL (Pinnacle Ridge)" except for the "W" at the end which I figure it stands for "white"

I just want to verify that the ram kit is compatible with this motherboard before purchasing it.

As noted above, the current Ram kit that I have is not listed under the QVL list.

Another question, are there any Corsair LPX ram that is compatible with this motherboard? I can't seem to find any listed.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:52am
DDR4 RAM is tricky to navigate. There are many different kits that are not on QVLs that work perfectly fine and there are some that simply won't allow post. It is very much a hit and miss scenario. Things have greatly improved since AMD launched the AM4 platform but there are still a few RAM kits out there that simply won't work with it.

You are correct, the W denotes the color variant of the RAM. As for LPX kits, I have used 2 different LPX kits on my X370 Taichi without issue but I have seen a few reports on the forums using other LPX kits that didn't turn out well. Both my kits are older and no longer available new so I won't list their part numbers. The kit you found is on the QVL so it will work but, if you are looking for a cheaper option, bare in mind you can also check the QVL of the RAM itself, so long as AM4 boards are listed for the kit it should work fine. We see a lot of people having good luck with GSkill's Flair X RAM kits as well as their Fortis line on the budget end.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Edited by Xaltar - 13 Feb 2019 at 12:53am
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 3:42am
My money is on your motherboard being broken. I suppose it could be the memory but I don't really believe it. Any chance you could borrow a different brand stick just to see if it boots at all?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:16am
Kshendel, I have seen numerous people have issues trying to use Trident X RAM with Ryzen (AM4), here and on other forums with multiple brand boards. I will always be honest on these forums, if I suspected the board was at fault I would have immediately recommended an RMA.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm
hmmm the system should boot in fail safe 2133 settings no matter what type of ram.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 3:34pm
If only that were always the case, we would get a lot fewer threads like this The issue is that the fail safe defaults are determined by the RAM's JDEC information not an industry standard. In other words, if the RAM in question has a default JDEC of 2400 or 2666 and the system is unable to post with those settings you are out of luck. In some cases, if you install a different RAM module that is able to post you can manually set the frequency to 2133, save and exit then install the troublesome RAM. After all that it most often will post but is still unable to run at anything beyond 2133 without extensive tweaking and messing about. For the average user this is impossible and for most more savvy users it is simply unacceptable to spend money on something that does not function as advertised. The only time I would recommend the workaround I mentioned is in the case of a user being unable to return the RAM for some reason.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:46pm
All 'profiles' which a given RAM support should be written in the SPD. If a mobo can't 'negotiate' the profiles between the CPU and the RAM, that's a whole other story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic