ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

MOBO not powering down with OS Shutdown?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Alen021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alen021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOBO not powering down with OS Shutdown?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 2:49pm
I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this shutdown your PC using command. https://thegeekpage.com/fan-and-lights-staying-on-even-after-shutdown/
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:32pm
Thanks for the follow-up!

I just realize I had to be a bit more verbose, but I'm happy that you're happy!

BTW, Windows should automatically partition your SSD to GPT during the initail phase of the installation process. One just needs to delete the currently presented MBR partitions in the menu.

What strikes me is that this trivial (for the likes of me) task would cost you a hefty amount of cash in some PC shop, and they won't even take the extra 5 minutes to tweak all as it should. I hate to see people robbed of their hard earned cash for trivial issues.

Also, with your setup you should be able to run all modern games and mods for them @ ultra. As far as sims are concerned, I hear from pros that even the tower comes close to real life, so that's one more thing pilot-wannabes can practice offline.

I will PM you my email, so you can whitelist me later. If I ever come across a question about the ol' trusty 7-turdy-7 (nicknamed as such by spoiled passengers like me), or aviation in general, I'll drop you a line or two.

Best of luck!
Geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:57pm
Progress Update:

Had a long evening last night getting all of this back up and running, but I'm happy to report that it's all working perfectly! Xhue, I can't thank you enough for your help with all of this! I ran into a few snags along the way, but managed to hack my way through most of them. Had to figure out how to convert a MBR disk (my SSD) to GPD (Thanks youtube).. Got most of my games re-loaded.. WOW.. They look amazing running in ultra with the GTX1080..

Lastly, my power down and sleep mode issues are gone.. When I power it down, it all turns off properly, as does sleep mode..

Thanks again for all of the patience!
Geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:49pm
Now that's a checklist!! Excellent! I can't thank you enough for dumbing this down for me!

Truth be told, the reason I upgraded this computer is so that I can run either Microsoft flight sim, or XPlane at high frame rates/video settings. Although my regular job is flying 737's, I will be starting to teach my 15 year old son to fly in the coming months. The avionics/nav stuff seems very good on the sims, and beats paying 150 dollar an hour burning gas to learn how to push buttons!

Highly recommend getting your PPL, it's a really rewarding process and it's something you have for a lifetime! If there is anything I can help with/answer questions about please don't hesitate to reach out.. Shoot me a pm and I can give you a good contact number. Heck, if you lived in Maryland, I"d take you up sometime and let you do some flying! I'll report back later this evening on how it's coming along with the windows install!

Cheers!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:34pm
Ah, a fellow pilot! Nice! Although I've only flew sims and held the yoke of a friend's Cessna in mid-air, I have huge ambitions getting a license myself soon.

As a pilot, you've dealt with checklists all your life, so I decided I make you another one. I hope it's easier for you.

Disclaimer: I always get giggity when flying comes out in a conversation. Please excuse my poor attempts at humor. I'll try to keep the slang at minimum, so other less-pilot(ish) people can follow too. Also, the punchlist will skip certain trivial steps for the sake of clarity.

First, some clarifications - CSM mean legacy BIOS architecture will be used system-wide, which is compatible with some older HW. Disabling it allows one to utilize the newer UEFI standard and allows for enabling some security enchancements like Secure Boot. I recommend you disable CSM.

Now, onwards unto the horizon!

- download the latest .iso from Microsoft's website.
- download Rufus portable.
- burn the .iso with Rufus.
- power down the PC.
- unplug the power cord from the wall.
- check RAM seating, cables and connectors too.
- clear the CMOS by moving the jumper in position (check manual if unsure).
- leave the CMOS jumper in its new position for some good 20 sec.
- return the CMOS jumper to its original resting place.
- plug the power cord back in the APU, err, the wall.
- plug the USB with Windows in some USB port.
- turn on the PC.
- you should hear M1 spooling up (I mean the CPU fan of course).
- enter BIOS.
- enable only XMP profile for the RAM.
- diable CSM from 'Boot' menu.
- save and exit BIOS.
- try booting from USB, aim for the option that has 'UEFI' in it.
- we're now at V1, no turning back.
- if you see Windows logo then rotate!
- if you got to this step, congrats - you almost plopped Windows.
- tune the setup options to your liking.
- after Windows is airborne, gearup that mofo, i.e. wait for it to finish with its post-install stuff (leave it alone for 20 min).
- download only AMD chipset drivers from AMD.
- download the GPU driver from their website.
- enjoy.

After all this you should have a stable and fast PC. Some additional tuning may be required afterwards, but that's also easy.

Have fun!

Geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:00pm
Windows arrived today, so I'll get to working on this tomorrow. I have a few more questions about your steps if you don't mind!

Looked into Rufus, and understand how to get the .iso file onto a USB drive with rufus.. Specifically, what does "Plop windows" mean? So sorry, I'm a pilot by trade, not a computer guy!

Also, what are the benefits/reasons for disabling CSM?

Really appreciate all of your help, I'm going to follow your directions precisely!

xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:34am
Once your Win 10 arrives, make sure that:

1. You check all cabling, RAM, etc. are well seated.
2. Clear CMOS
3. Enable only XMP profiles and disable CSM (you may need to ditch the DVD on boot if you want CSM disabled)
4. Plop Win 10 (preferably get the latest .iso from MS' website and burn with Rufus)
5. Download the respective drivers from nvidia, AMD, etc.
Geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:14pm
Xhue!

Wow, thank you for the detailed response! Sounds like my idea would have set me up for problems down the road! Thanks for saving me on that one.. lol. I hate to admit, but I?™m primarily a Mac guy so I?™m not used to having to wipe a hard disk clean in order to upgrade the os.. I certainly will on this though, most of my games are steam or origin, so that shouldn?™t be much of a problem.. I was able to follow your post until the server part, then my knowledge ran out.. I do have win 10 pro on the way, so I?™ll get it loaded next week. Really hoping that fixes my power down/sleep issues!

John
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:35am
My advice - DO NOT MIGRATE any program or installation from one place to another! I can't stress this enough!

The only times you can afford direct copy/paste are portable apps, save/project data, multimedia files and VM containers. That's it.

Different OS (or builds for that matter) have (or need) different HAL settings, different registry hives (Win), different folder structures, etc.

If you old HDD has programs you no longer have the installation files, licenses (cracks?) for, that's another story. I could in theory help but most likely I simply won't.

Here is how I circumvent similar issues - on all my machines I have a disposable OS disk (not only partitions!) or disposable disk for the VM hypervisor. All the rest is hosted on networked storage. This of course cost a lot, but I put it as a goal a long time ago and boy, it was worth it! I can now wipe or lose my entire OS disk and I couldn't care less. Heck I often do experiments which end with a need for total rebuild.

Bottom line - if it's not a standalone file, re-deploy from scratch.

Geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:30am
Xhue,

Thank you for the response.. Windows 10 is enroute and I?™ll see if that takes care of it! I knew it wasn?™t a good idea but figured I?™d give it a try. I?™m researching how to move my data and programs over to Win10.. I?™m wondering if I can make a bootable clone via ?śbackup and restore??on win7 (on an external drive) then full install win10 and do a ?śrestore?? Any idea if this works?

Thanks again,
John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic