ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

System locks up during certain installes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merowland01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System locks up during certain installes
    Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 12:59pm
I have an Asrock Z170 Extreme7+ MB.  I just installed Windows 10 64 bit.  While restoring the system, certain installs (like LAN driver update Lan(v20.2_PV_v2)) lock up at 60%.  I have to power off the PC to even get the MB to boot.  I also, noticed that a LG cell phone driver (LG_USBModemDriver_Eng_WHQL_Ver_4.9.4_All.exe) locks up at 100%.  Anyone got any ideas?

P.S. I was able to install the LAN drivers by using the Update Driver in the Device Manager.Cry

Added 10/25/15 4:13 AM:  I found another program that stops at 60% - Creative_XMB3-VDWEB-2-11.exe.
I will work with Creative on this one....doesn't seem like it likes latest Realtek drivers....

Edited by merowland01 - 25 Oct 2015 at 5:10pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by merowland01 merowland01 wrote:

I have an Asrock Z170 Extreme7+ MB.  I just installed Windows 10 64 bit.  While restoring the system, certain installs (like LAN driver update Lan(v20.2_PV_v2)) lock up at 60%.  I have to power off the PC to even get the MB to boot.  I also, noticed that a LG cell phone driver (LG_USBModemDriver_Eng_WHQL_Ver_4.9.4_All.exe) locks up at 100%.  Anyone got any ideas?

P.S. I was able to install the LAN drivers by using the Update Driver in the Device Manager.Cry

Your post is confusing. You said you installed Windows 10. Then you said you are restoring the system. Do you mean restoring the system from a backup? Or do you mean you are just installing all the drivers after a fresh Win 10 installation?

If you are simply installing drivers, do you have the CPU and/or memory over clocked? What type and speed of memory are you using? You should be running the CPU at stock speed while installing drivers and basic software, to avoid OS corruption in case any OC fails.

When installing drivers after a new OS installation, you must first run the Chipset/INF file installation program, and then the Intel IME software installation program. After those two, the order is not important.

It sounds like the installation programs are stressing something in the system to the point that it locks up.

I've installed Win 10 on the same board a few times, and never had your problem.

merowland01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merowland01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 5:09pm
Sorry for confusion...new install, INF & IME installed first.  Then others.  No OC.  I found another program that stops at 60% - Creative_XMB3-VDWEB-2-11.exe.  Thanks for trying...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 5:34pm
It sounds like a resource conflict to me. Maybe try removing the soundcard and see if the other drivers install normally. If it solves the problem then make sure you disable the onboard sound in your BIOS and try with the soundcard again. This is based on the assumption you are using a creative labs soundcard with the system. Sound cards reserve a fair amount of resources so if too many devices are vying for the same IRQ and DMA etc you will experience lockups. 

I have messed about a fair bit with audio on my systems over the years and have often run into problems like this with multiple sound cards installed in a system. The LAN, any "modem" driver, legacy ports and onboard sound typically share resources, add an additional sound card and you can end up with freezing when drivers initialize the hardware. The LG driver for example tries to initialize the hardware at the end of the installation where most other drivers will initialize earlier in the process.

If you still have lockups try disabling any and all features on your motherboard you do not use like legacy ports, SATA 2 ports (if not in use) etc and try again.

Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merowland01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 12:42am

(Quote) Xaltar wrote:

It sounds like a resource conflict to me. Maybe try removing the soundcard and see if the other drivers install normally. If it solves the problem then make sure you disable the onboard sound in your BIOS and try with the soundcard again. This is based on the assumption you are using a creative labs soundcard with the system. Sound cards reserve a fair amount of resources so if too many devices are vying for the same IRQ and DMA etc you will experience lockups. (End Quote)

I don't have a sound card, only the onboard HD audio.  I set onboard HD audio to "Disabled"and then removed all devices in Device Manager that had anything to do with audio, Then tried the programs....still lovcked up at 60%.  I'm not computer literate enough to do this: "disabling any and all features on your motherboard you do not use like legacy ports, SATA 2 ports (if not in use) etc". Can you give me some examples of what I'm looking for in the Device Manager?  Thanks

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 1:52am
I think that Xaltar is referring to disabling things in the UEFI/BIOS, rather than in Windows.

Many of those settings would be in the Advanced, Chipset Configuration screen in the UEFI.

I'm wondering if your hardware has an instability that is causing the lockups when installing drivers. As I said, I have this board and I have never had this problem.

What model of memory are you using? Full specs please, including model number, speed, etc.

Actually, we have no idea what other hardware you are using. Such as CPU, power supply, etc. That information is really needed to help us discover the problem.

When you are installing drivers, where are you running the installation programs from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merowland01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 2:46am
[B](Quote) From parsec:

I think that Xaltar is referring to disabling things in the UEFI/BIOS, rather than in Windows.
Many of those settings would be in the Advanced, Chipset Configuration screen in the UEFI.
I'm wondering if your hardware has an instability that is causing the lockups when installing drivers. As I said, I have this board and I have never had this problem.
What model of memory are you using? Full specs please, including model number, speed, etc.
Actually, we have no idea what other hardware you are using. Such as CPU, power supply, etc. That information is really needed to help us discover the problem.
When you are installing drivers, where are you running the installation programs from?(End Quote)[\B]

Here are the PC stats:
MB: Asrock Z170 Extreme7+
CPU: Intel I7-6700k OC'd at 4.7 (during installs no OC)
GPU(s): 2 - EVGA GTX580s on slots 2 & 4 in SLI
HDD: 2 - Seagate 1TB ST31000524AS in RAID 0 => Volume_0000, Boot drive
SSD: 1 - Intel 311 SSD 20 GB, dedicated cache to Volume_0000
Memmory: 16 GB 2 - GSkill DDR4 3600 F4-3600C17D-8GTZ (from Asrock approved list) (during installs 2133, OC at 3600)
PSU: Recommended PSU Wattage from online PSU calculator: 925 Watts; Have 1000 Watt Gold PSU

Also, I have another Post for a problem where USB headers USB3_5_6 and USB3_7_8 dont't work.  Please look at "USB ports for 3.0 on MB don't work" elsewhere in this forum. Thanks for your time.Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic