ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC No display on powerup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC No display on powerup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC No display on powerup
    Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:08am
Setup:

Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC
Intel i9-9900k
Cooler Master 650w PSU
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16gb (8+8)

The cpu, mobo, and PSU are all brand new. The memory is from another machine that has been running fine for a while.

Problem: On power up nothing is displaying. No error codes, no indication that any peripherals are even present. CPU fans power up and spin when connected, but that's it. I've stripped out everything non-essential and just have the PSU, mobo, and RAM hooked up. I've tried 2 monitors (both I know work). The memory works in other computers, but I've also tried them one at time in each mobo slot. I've triple checked the PSU connections. I've removed the CPU and double checked for bent pins. Can't find anything. I'm out of ideas.

Last time this happened to me it turned out that the mobo did not support the CPU without a BIOS update, so I had to buy the cheapest last gen CPU to use to update the BIOS, but this time I jumped right to the X90 (vs the X70) to ensure BIOS compatibility.

One thing that is driving me crazy is on the rear of the mobo, there are two slow blinking red LEDs that turn on once I flip the PSU on (but before I power up the system) but I can't find anything about them in the manual, nor via Google.

Thoughts?
smoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 2:11am
New symptom: system powers down after about two minutes. (still no display and not able to get to BIOS).

This means it has to be PSU related, right?
smoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 2:42am
Okay tried a new PSU that I know works (with cords that I know work) and got the same result.

:(
Coin3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coin3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:56am
I have encountered the same issue with my motherboard, and I've found one more person who had the issue and fixed it by switching to the Asus MB:
[URL=https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yXtgXL]https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yXtgXL[/URL]

It must be a fault with the batch our boards were made in.

My board is on its way back to Newegg for replacement.
Jucko13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jucko13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 12:21am
I had the same problem a few days ago when the board arrived. What I did is remove the graphics card and connect a display to the onboard display port or hdmi.

Now it should post and you can update your bios with a usb-stick. My bios needed to be updated to 1.50 to support the i9-9900K.

Hope this helps
Coin3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coin3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Jucko13 Jucko13 wrote:

I had the same problem a few days ago when the board arrived. What I did is remove the graphics card and connect a display to the onboard display port or hdmi.

Now it should post and you can update your bios with a usb-stick. My bios needed to be updated to 1.50 to support the i9-9900K.

Hope this helps

I'm glad that you were able to fix your MB, but unfortunately doing the same with mine did not fix the problem. Even after removing the graphics card and all extra connections, leaving just the power supply, MB, CPU, and RAM, the system would not post and would restart itself randomly.

My return to newegg has been approved, and I got a MB speaker and multimeter this time for troubleshooting if I run into problems with the replacement. I will update if I anything comes up.
Coin3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coin3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm
I just want to report that I got a replacement for my Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC MB, and it works with no problems. I had a bit of a scare during the first boot because it reset itself twice (I assume to prep the BIOS), but no problems from then on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic