FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beep codes for Z87E-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beep codes for Z87E-ITX
    Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 12:40am
Three long beeps is no memory is installed in the board. The board will be unable to start without any memory installed.

Three short beeps is considered a memory failure, but it can also be caused by memory incompatibility. A few other things can cause the memory to "fail".

Do you have a power cable from the PSU connected to the eight pin CPU power connector on the board? It is just below the black VRM heat sink, to the left of the CPU socket.

You must have at least a four pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected, or the CPU won't work. The memory controller is part of the CPU, which could explain the memory problem beep code.

What models of memory have you tried? Please post the full memory name, capacity, and model number. Are you mixing two different models at the same time? Also, whenever you change the memory or change the slots the memory is in, you must clear the CMOS/BIOS.

The memory you're using may be incompatible with the memory controller. You can't just use any DDR3 memory. Also you must be very careful when inserting the memory in the DIMM slots, if it is not fully seated in the slot, it won't work.
franzp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franzp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 12:05am
Hello everyone,

since yesterday I'm getting three short beeps when I try to boot my system. First of I though it was a memory failure but after replacing the RAM I got the same codes. When I tried to start the system without any memory I get three long beeps.

The manual says this mainboard has a "64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS" but i could find any information about the difference between three short vs. three long beeps. Doese anybody know what this beep failure means? I'm not sure what component i need to replace...

Regards
Franz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic