ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AB350 Pro4 can't shut down fully / wake from sleep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 can't shut down fully / wake from sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 can't shut down fully / wake from sleep
    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:23pm
PCPartPicker part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4B2QbX

Essentially:

Ryzen 1700X
ASRock AB350M Pro 4
Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti
Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

PC can not wake up from sleep and can not shut down all the way. When I try to shut the PC down through Windows, the screen goes black and the fan seems to get a little bit louder. However, the motherboard fan LED will stay on (I've used AORUS Engine to turn off the lights for the graphics card, but before I did so the graphics card RGB would stay on too). In this state, the power button does nothing, so I have to force shutdown to turn the computer on again. When I try to sleep, the computer also stays in this half-awake state and the screen is unresponsive, even when pressing the power button/keys on the keyboard.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

Turned off Fast Startup in Windows 10
    make sure Deep Sleep is off in BIOS
    Updated drivers
    Reset cmos with jumper and taking out battery.
    I've also tried shutting down when booting Ubuntu from a usb drive, it hangs on what looks to be a terminal window.
    Reset CMOS with jumper with all power cables disconnected. CMOS reset isn't fixing this problem.
    Reinstalling Windows, despite confirming with Ubuntu that it isn't an OS related problem. Interestingly enough, freshly installed Windows acts similarly to Ubuntu when attempting to shut off, where the shutdown screen freezes. Booting Windows in to Safe Mode also has the same problem when shutting down. In fully updated Windows, the motherboard can make it to No Signal before the computer has trouble shutting down.
    Downgraded BIOS to 3.0, upgraded it back to 5.4 with Instant Flash

Provide any additional details you wish below.

RAM is on A2 and B2.
BIOS and chipset firmware are fully updated.
Don't have Intel, so downgrading Intel Management Driver does not work.
Interestingly enough, after updating BIOS, the motherboard is able to fully turn off the computer when restarting. This makes me want to think that it's not the motherboard, even though it probably is.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Mar 2019 at 12:03am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:38pm
What is your PSU? This forum is not kind to URLs...
mochination View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 12:05am
Corsair - RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 12:14am
Updated the OP to remove URL tags. I asked ASRock to disable live links because they are a spam bot magnet. You can just copy paste the link into a new tab.

As for your issue, these sleep/shutdown issues are a real pain to diagnose. It could be anything from a faulty power/reset switch to incompatible hardware and that is before we even look at the potential for OS related issues. I can offer a few suggestions to help diagnose however:

1. I see you have a Ubuntu installation, you can try creating a Live USB bootable flash drive then disconnect all other storage from the system and boot from that. Try shut down from that and see if it gives you the same issue. This will rule out/confirm corrupted boot information on your drives.

2. Pull all non power related cables from your board including the front panel header connections (power, reset and LED connectors). Then reconnect only the power switch and your boot drive and see if you still get the error, if you do, swap the power switch for the reset one and try with that as your power switch. If the error persists, move on to step 3.

3. If you have a spare drive available, disconnect all storage from the system and install the spare. Perform a fresh OS install on that using the latest install medium downloaded from Microsoft. I once had an issue because I was using an outdated installation medium and it lacked necessary updates so always use the latest available.

Let us know if any of this helps, I have tried to suggest things you have not already tried.
mochination View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochination Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 12:29am
Shutting down from Ubuntu does not work either, same hang as fresh Windows 10 install/Safe Mode Windows 10.

I can try 2 and 3. Thanks for the suggestions.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 2:17am
If you have your SSD connected while booting from Ubuntu you did not already try step one. The point is to eliminate the possibility of bad boot info on your SSD so it needs to be disconnected. The UEFI accesses your drives and reads data from them before you even complete post, corruption here can cause all kinds of undesirable behavior ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic