ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Several questions about overclocking - x470 Taichi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Several questions about overclocking - x470 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankGehry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Several questions about overclocking - x470 Taichi
    Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 11:06pm
I have a 2700x in an X470 Taichi Ultimate.

First off, after doing a bit of research, it seems better to use PBO instead of manually overclocking. Is this the general consensus?

Those that do overclock via PBO also recommend setting a VCore offset of around -.100v in order to decrease voltage to the CPU and perhaps gain stability. I think I understand this right, but I am new to overclocking.

My issue is, I cannot find out exactly how to set that VCore offset as I don't really see any setting in the BIOS that is worded as such.

Lastly, I think my mobo has BIOS version 1.20 on it. Would it be wise to update it? They say not to update unless you're experiencing bugs or performance hits, but perhaps it's so out-dated that an update would be advised.

I appreciate all the help. I'm just getting my feet wet in the world of overclocking, and I want to make the most out of my new rig.
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 6:37am
1.2 is very old. I'd at least update to the 2018 midsummer release, which I think was 1.5x, or the new release which is 2.0. I did an update of my Ultimate to 2.0 and after some initial self-inflicted problems, it's been very stable. I don't overclock my CPU so I can't answer your other questions from experience.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:39am
the 2700X is very hard to overclock avg only have 100mhz over stock boost

you are better off tuning the memory side of the system to get performance rather than higher cpu clock speeds

i overclock all my previous cpus because it was fun buying the cheapest similar spec cpu and overclock it over the expensive variant.

manual overclocking means changing multipler and bclk whatever changes made here usually means its locked to that final clock. Lets say you ended up overclocking to 4.3ghz it stays there (i could be wrong because i totally gave up OCing 2700x)

pbo just lets it work like stock and rely on boost as for me my cpu already does 4.3 out of the box and it has the low power state intact. you can improve better mixing both pbo and bclk while keeping turbo and cnq working.

difference

manual all cores ends up at a clock speed lets say 4.3ghz

pbo all cores goes up and down depending on load & temps

whatever you do dont use windows to update your bios
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 2:50pm
First, totally update BIOS and then cleat your CMOS afterwards. However, don't use the Windows utility as the guys above said.

I've seen excellent performance with PB2 & XFR2. As long as you have a decent PSU, a beefy CPU cooler and some airflow over the VRM, PB2 & XFR2 should boost your CPU significantly.

I can't tell you where the offset option for that board is, though. You need to check the web some, or see if someone here can point you.

Also, offset usually goes between -0.0875V and -0.1V.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic