ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi Dr. Debug Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi Dr. Debug Error
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:19am

I am building a X399 Taichi Threadripper 2950x system. After putting it almost all together, the Dr. Debug shows 00, which the book says to reinstall the CPU and then reset the CMOS.

Before doing all that yet, I would like to know what went wrong. I have installed CPUs before and while the 2950x is pretty big, I can't think of a way the CPU was installed incorrectly as it only goes in and gets tightened down one way.

Thanks.
scjconsulting
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:12am
Threadrippers are known for having tough time getting them well-seated the first time.

There is more - certain mobos had bad/faulty Foxconn TR4 sockets.

The two things above can easily break contact between some socket pins and the CPU itself. Actually, even 1 badly contacting pin can flip you in your face. With more than 4000 pins you pull the odds.

My suggestion is to re-install the CPU, check all RAM, cabling and other connectors, clear CMOS and give it another try.
scjconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:24am

Thanks for your reply. It will take a few days to get some more silver compound, but will get back to you.
scjconsulting
scjconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:00am

I reinstalled the CPU and I guess I am making progress?

After going through the codes, I get a d6 and the an 0d and then stops. Sometime it goes through the codes twice.

The d6 means graphics card problem. It is a MSI 2070 which you remember is in the 2nd PCIE slot because the cooler blocks the first slot.

Should I buy a new cooler, one where the fans exhaust on the top (240 or 280mm), and then then the graphics card could be in the 1st PCIE slot? I was thinking a Corsair H115i. Are there any you recommend?

I'm still a little confused on the Clean CMOS switch. Do you push the button with the power on/off or plugged in/not?

Thanks.
scjconsulting
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:13pm
Hmm, let's see.

To clear CMOS you need to unplug the power cord of your PC from the wall. Then push the Clear CMOS switch and hold it for 10-15 seconds. Alternatively, you can achieve the same by the on-board jumper.

The fact that you are seeing progress when moving the CPU is telling. What do you say you try it once more?

Let's try this, in the following order:
- clear CMOS as described above;
- try booting again; observe the behavior;
- update BIOS via your mobo flashback option;
- clear CMOS again, try booting;
- remove the GPU, clear CMOS and try booting again;
- re-seat your RAM sticks, I know it sounds crazy but it isn't;

If none of the above helps then maybe you need to return the mobo.

As for the coolers - h115i is very good cooler but it doesn't have TR4 coldplate. I'd recommend the Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 280mm or 360mm variants. Look for the 2nd gen moniker, as the 1st gen had issues with the cooling liquid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic