ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Upgrade to Windows 10 IRST driver load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Upgrade to Windows 10 IRST driver load
    Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
I have windows 7 installed on a SSD 840 card. I just bought the ASROCK Z170 OC formula board and 3 256mg Samsung 951 M.2 cards I have set up as Raid O C drive.

I would like to upgrade to windows 10 and install it on this computer, but to do that using USB you have to remove the USB stick right when Windows 10 setup starts according to Microsoft  so that it won't ask you for a Product key. Microsoft says if it asks for the product key then you have to start over. Well in order to install windows 10 on the Raid 0 you have load the Intel IRST drivers from the USB or any USB. But if I do then the product key question comes up and if I load those drivers from another USB without windows on it, windows setup won't continue.

Stuck. Has anyone with a RAID 0 M.2 card upgraded to Windows 10? Any suggestions on how to proceed?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by TimH TimH wrote:

I have windows 7 installed on a SSD 840 card. I just bought the ASROCK Z170 OC formula board and 3 256mg Samsung 951 M.2 cards I have set up as Raid O C drive.

I would like to upgrade to windows 10 and install it on this computer, but to do that using USB you have to remove the USB stick right when Windows 10 setup starts according to Microsoft  so that it won't ask you for a Product key. Microsoft says if it asks for the product key then you have to start over. Well in order to install windows 10 on the Raid 0 you have load the Intel IRST drivers from the USB or any USB. But if I do then the product key question comes up and if I load those drivers from another USB without windows on it, windows setup won't continue.

Stuck. Has anyone with a RAID 0 M.2 card upgraded to Windows 10? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I'm not sure I understand what your entire situation is.

1. Are you trying to do the free upgrade to Windows 10, from Windows 7?

2. If so, you now have Windows 7 on the 840 SSD, but you are trying to use a Windows 10 USB installation media to install Windows 10 on the SM951's in RAID 0, and the RAID 0 volume is empty, correct?

3. The 840 SSD with Windows 7 is being used, or was used, on another PC with a different mother board, correct?

4. Did you create the USB Windows 10 installation media yourself from a Windows 10 ISO download?

Regardless, the "information" from Microsoft you included above does not make sense at all. Perhaps they did not understand your questions.

Removing the Windows 10 installation USB drive at any point before the OS drive is selected, and possibly prepared (loading driver, formatting, etc) will cause the installation to fail.

There is no chance the Windows 10 installation can continue without the installation USB drive in the PC during the entire installation process.

I've installed Windows 10 from a USB drive created from a Windows 10 ISO download file several times. The prompt for the product key is one of the first things that happens, right after you select "Install Windows Now".

Also, on the screen that prompts you to enter the product key, every time I've seen that screen, at the bottom there is a button labeled "Skip" that allows you to skip entering the product key. I never enter a product key and just click Skip, and the installation continues.

I never have a network cable connected to the PC when I install Windows for several reasons, so possibly that is why I get the Skip option. But I doubt that is why.

Actually, all of the above does not matter if what I asked about in questions 1, 2, and 3 is correct.

You cannot do a free upgrade to Windows 10 on an empty drive. You can do the free upgrade to Windows 10 from the Windows 7 installation on the 840 SSD. That is how the free upgrade works. You must upgrade to Windows 10 from an existing Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 installation. You never get a product key with the upgrade installation, and the Windows 7 key won't work for Windows 10.

All of this is the problem with the free upgrade installation, and why I have now bought two Windows 10 product keys. The upgrade installation is not meant for those of us that install Windows one or more times on different hardware.

The RAID 0 and driver loading aspect of this is not part of the problem you think you have. Are you sure you got your information from Microsoft, or from one of the many "Windows" websites that have nothing to do with Microsoft? Did you even try to do the Windows 10 installation yet?
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 11:49pm
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
says:

"IMPORTANT: To upgrade for free, select Upgrade this PC now in the tool. You should NOT be asked for a product key during the upgrade process. If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.

Parsec
I feel like you that there  is no way Windows 10 installation can work without the USB stick. I installed it and it wouldn't activate using the windows 7 key. I will try upgrading from windows7 but im not sure windows 7 will boot in this new motherboard from my old installation SSD. I have many days off now so I can spend some time on this trying to find the solution but in the end I may have to do what you did and just buy the key.
II

Edited by TimH - 29 Oct 2015 at 11:54pm
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:06am
Well as suspected it didn't boot well into Win7 from the SSD that had win7 on it already. It loaded and I saw the desktop but it began loading drivers for all the new stuff it found and bluescreened and since win7 doesn't have usb keyboard support I couldn't stop the driver loading or boot into safemode or anything. I can't repair it because I have no way to move the mouse and type.

Edited by TimH - 30 Oct 2015 at 1:06am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 2:20am
The bottom line is, as I said previously, the upgrade to Windows 10 can be done only on an existing Windows 7 or 8.1 installation.

The situation where MSoft instructs the user to remove the USB drive is during an upgrade to Windows 10 from an existing Windows 7/8.1 installation, using a USB drive Windows 10 installation media created with the MSoft Windows 10 creation tool, and selecting the Upgrade this PC now in the tool. The media created with that tool is not the same as a standard USB flash drive installation media created without the special tool.

The standard way to upgrade to Win 10 is by installing a Windows update that prepares the PC to upgrade via a download of Windows 10.

Notice what the instructions you posted state:

If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.

It does not say to remove the USB drive IF you are prompted for a product key, it states remove it or you may be prompted for the key. If prompted, you restart the PC and remove the USB drive so you won't be asked for a product key.

But all this won't change the fact that we cannot upgrade to Win 10 from a basic installation of Windows 10, or by using the special Win 10 upgrade tool, which you are attempting to do.

I thought to suggest that you clone your Win 7 installation from the 840 SSD to the RAID 0 array, but that probably won't work unless you install the IRST 14.6 Windows driver package on the Windows 7 installation. But as you know your Win 7 installation was not compatible with the Z170 chipset and all the differences between your old and new boards.

Regardless, you cannot perform an "upgrade Win 10 installation" on an empty drive, with any mother board. That is a reality I've accepted, since I learned what you (and I and many others) would like to do is not possible, sorry to say.

I also considered suggesting you install Win 7 on the RAID 0 volume, using the product key you have now, and calling the MSoft 800 number to validate the installation, and then upgrade to Win 10. But Win 7 has a bug in its file setup that does not allow the EFI bootloader to be found, which is required when using PCIe SSDs as an OS drive.

Edited by parsec - 30 Oct 2015 at 2:25am
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:15am
Okay that was my next step that I guess I'll skip now. But you got real close to my final option aND that involved cloning. I reinstall win7 on the 840 with the USB hack then upgrade It to win10 then clone that to the raid0?
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:20am
What version Windows 10 did you purchase and why Parsec?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic