ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock Fatal1ty X470 K4 trouble shooting question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fatal1ty X470 K4 trouble shooting question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zburator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Fatal1ty X470 K4 trouble shooting question
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 8:46pm
Specs:
Coolermaster
MoBo: ASRock Fatal1ty X470 K4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7, 2700, Pinnacle Ridge 8-Core
GPU: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580, 8GB RAM, Special Edition
PSU: originally, Corsair RM850W ATX 12V, v2.31 and 80 plus Gold Certified (bought in 2004); New PSU: Corsair VS 650W, 80 plus White Certified
Cooling: Corsair Hydro, H115i Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB, DDR4

For back ground, I built my first PC out at Uni with an ASRock Faltal1ty 990FX Killer. I bought the MoBo on the recommendation of a friend because it had the best track record of him always screwing around with it both externally and in the software. I loved how reliable the ASRocks are, and I've yet to find another MoBo that ticks all the marks (not outrageous in price, like the ASUS ROGs), stable, able to take a beating, and barely ever showed DOA.

Now because I'm a firm believer of upgrading when upgrades are needed, I ran my AM3/AM3+ board into the ground and wouldn't have upgraded at all (because it still works) if my family hadn't found out I wanted a new GPU for my birthday/Christmas, and rallied around to basically replace my entire computer. The major problem was my computer parts all got here. The week before Hurricane Michael made land fall, and what with living in the part of Florida that was in the destruction path, we lost power for a month, and yada yada. Basically I couldn't put it together in time for it to abide by the return rules via NewEgg (finally getting everything together by January.) Because I am a full time student (still) and dealing with the Hurricane stuff on the property, I hadn't gotten around to plugging it in.

Remember, everything in this PC is new, the Case, the CPU, the MoBo, the RAM, the whole nine yards (including the Liquid Cooling set up by Corsair.) Except for the PSU which I tried to cannibalize from my original build. My Corsair RM 850W, Gold Standard that is nearly five years old. I know it's not overtly the PSU because I can move it back to my old rig and it works fine.

Now for the symptoms: When I try to turn on my new PC, the MoBo just does a "breathing" effect with the default red RGB lighting. It won't boot to BIOS. It won't even registered something like a SATA or the USB drives so I can run Linux on it to make sure the whole thing works in some capacity. What is more weird, is that it does the breathing effect from the flick of the PSU's On switch, not even me pressing a button to boot.

After digging around the net, I discovered (since I got my 850W PSU to not have to worry about upgrading for at least five years) that certain PSUs, mostly the newest/newer ones, are backwards compatible with older ATX boards. Which got me thinking. If my PSU is bottlenecking the power somehow then the MoBo wouldn't have enough to run, boot, or do more than basically say "the lights are on but no one is home."

My solution, was to buy a low rated White 80 650W Corsair that is brand new and should be compatible with any new hardware. But because of school work and work-work (a writer's work is never done) have bogged me down, I've yet to test it. I have a RX 540 in it for now, but I might remove that just to get down to all new hardware that I'm not 100% of working.

If I can't get answers here, before I call Tech Support, I'm going to change cases, because I know my Raidmax Case works just fine. It's got an entire computer in it that runs normally so I will be able to rule that out, it's just half a day and fighting with it when you also have a Lab/Laika/Shepherd mix and "too many cats" that want to put their noses into what I'm working on or occasionally try to jump into the case itself (which is the worst form of panic right before you catch your flying feline.)

TL;DR:
My ASRock Fatal1ty X470 K4 won't boot event to BIOS, starts the default red LED breathing effect the moment the PSU flip is switched when the machine should be off since no case power button is pressed. I can't fix it. I can't boot into a thumb drive of DVD of Linux. I can't do anything. The speaker does not go off at all, and nothing else spins up but the case fans, not even the fans linked to the CPU's radiator.
Has anyone run across this before? I appreciate all the help anyone could give, even just suggestions, would save me time and I'd be forever grateful.

As a side note, and I doubt it has to do with Newegg themselves, but there aren't any "jumper" sliders like there are to reset the 990FX Killer. I had assumed this was because the flaw was fixed but maybe mine didn't ship with it.

Reply here or DM me if you have any suggestions before I get a large slab of of plywood to attach the new X470z.

Thank you for your help so much!!

-Zbur?tor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic