ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECC RAM for Taichi X370

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECC RAM for Taichi X370
    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:37am
I am trying to install some ECC RAM in my Taichi X370 (Ryzen 7 1700; Samsung 970EVO 500GB; GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Linux Mint 19.1 [Tessa]). The computer does not post, but repeatedly stops, pauses, then tries to restart. Dr. Debug shows 0d (which, I believe, means that I have a memory error). The ECC RAM that I installed are two SAMSUNG 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC (Registered DDR4 2666 [PC4 21300] Server Memory Model M393A2K40BB2-CTD). Their Rank x Org. is 1R x 4, which is a single rank DIMM. This is my first build, and I obviously failed to ensure that ASRock had listed this RAM as compatible with the Taichi X370. (Yeah. Boy do I feel stupid. ) Nonetheless, is there any chance that I might get the RAM to work in it? I have read that ASRock has made headway on getting ECC RAM working on its motherboards, and with my recent update to BIOS version P5.10 I notice various ECC-related settings. I?™m hoping that there might be BIOS settings with which my RAM might work. Or is this a lost cause?
Ryzen 7 1700; ASRock Taichi X370; 2x 16GB Corsair 3100Mhz; Samsung 970EVO 500GB; GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa)
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 5:59am
Hmm, boy, oh boy!

To my knowledge only Ryzen Pro variants supports ECC RAM.

Second, your RAM is regitered, i.e. buffered (or so you claim). Ryzen Pro works only with unbuffered RAM, AFAIK.

Third, you are left at the mercy of the mobo manufacturer to implement proper ECC support in BIOS.

Fourth, what does the memory QVL say about ECC modules?
vlinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:11pm
Many thanks for your response. Here are my thoughts on your four points:

1) On even the first Ryzen processors, ECC is enabled and working but not validated (and thus not officially supported) by AMD (www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/75030-ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive.html). This evidently also holds for Ryzen Pro (www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/74mljp/does_ryzen_pro_have_validated_ecc_support/). My understanding is that if there is ECC support, it has to come from the MoBo manufacturer. And some ECC support is provided by ASRock, as evident in the first-listed URL above for precisely my Taichi X370.

2) Yep. It?™s buffered RAM (www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/module/M393A2K40BB2-CTD/), which means that it is normally used in servers. But again, this is not a CPU issue, since ECC is enabled in my Ryzen 7 (although it remains unclear if this is exclusively for unbuffered ECC RAM).

3) Your third point targets precisely what I am asking. Namely, does ASRock have sufficient ECC support in its BIOS version P5.10 to support my RAM?

4) ASRock?™s QVL (www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/index.asp#Memory) does not list my RAM module. (I?™ve already acknowledged my stupidity in this regard.) The two ECC modules that it does list are both unbuffered, however. And so, buffered RAM may not be supported by the MoBo. What I would like here is confirmation that this is (or is not) the case. Is this something that you can help me with, xhue?
Ryzen 7 1700; ASRock Taichi X370; 2x 16GB Corsair 3100Mhz; Samsung 970EVO 500GB; GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa)
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:36pm
What I can help you with for sure, is to let you know that the CPU's memory controller has to support buffered RAM if you want it running on your system. To my knowledge, no Ryzen support buffered RAM, so your current sticks are no-go in this regard.

My old X370 Taichi had tons of ECC options in its L4.82 BIOS. IDK what is the situation in 5.10

If AMD themselves won't bother validating ECC for consumer platforms, I wonder how much the mobo vendors would care?
vlinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:24pm
AMD's website is terribly uninformative regarding their ECC-enabled CPU's (in)capacity to handle buffered memory. However, I did find a Canadian site (utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/tech/RyzenMemorySpeedAndECC) where they cite Kingston as confirming that "you need unbuffered DDR4 DIMMs for Ryzen". I cannot see where Kingston says this currently. (The Canadian URL is from November 2017, and so kingston.com has likely changed its web pages since then.) Nonetheless, since my Ryzen 7 1700 was introduced prior to the posting, I'm convinced that the statement holds in my case. So my question seems to be answered: Trying to get a Ryzen 7 1700 to work with registered (or buffered) RAM is a lost cause--a problem unrelated to my Taichi X370 or its bios. Thanks, xhue, for helping me puzzle this out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic