ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAM slot choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8EN317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAM slot choice
    Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:50am
Hello. I have some problems with my dual channel memories. B450M Pro4 board, Patriot Viper Elite series RAM-kit, ryzen 2200g cpu.

The shop which assembled the computer, installed the rams into slots A1B1, whereas the manual clearly states A2B2 for optimal speed (2933+). I tried moving them to A2B2, but, PC would not boot, it's just black screen, without having access to BIOS.

Would removing-reinstalling CMOS battery help, or should I just leave the sticks in A1B1? The shop told me it does not matter, but I guess the manual should be correct.

Is there anyone who actually tried A1B1 with 2933+ mhz rams and got them working? Thanks in advance for the input.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 3:05am
Try them again in A2/B2. Make sure they click properly. DDR4 slots are tricky.

If the memory model is in the QVL, they should work equally well in A1/B1. My guess is that A2/B2 have better PCB traces for lower noise and crosstalk.

If you wish to go with 2/B2, unplug the power cord from the wall, remove the CMOS battery and press the power button for 15 seconds.

Put back the battery and plug the power cord. Your PC should boot now.
8EN317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8EN317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 3:30am
thanks, will do : ) probably only next weekend due to not being home.
8EN317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8EN317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:09pm
Oh and one more question. If I have to remove the gpu to access to the battery, will my PC recognize the GPU after the cmos battery removal-reinstall? I'll se whether I can get the battery out without removing the graphics card, but as far as I remember, it's not really accessable.

Thanks in advance for the assistance
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:31pm
It doesn't matter if you remove the GPU or any other thing.

When you clear the CMOS, you are basically telling your BIOS to re-enumerate all hardware and peripherals once again on the next boot. So, as long as everything is in place BEFORE you boot, it should be fine.

P.S. always make sure all cables and cards are seating well in their slots. Often when tinkering around one accidentally nudges a connector or something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic