ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi Bios 3.20 Linux freeze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:54pm
Still freeze
jinjervitus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinjervitus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 1:44pm
[QUOTE=shmerl] The freeze bug affects all first generation Ryzens, no exception. Just not 100% of them. The week doesn't matter.

You are mixing it with another hardware bug, that caused segfaults due to some messed up memory access. That was indeed fixed in later batches. But the freeze issue was not. Only Zen+ fixes it.[/QUOTE

Help me out here. The segfaults which manifested to ferociously in linux on 1st gen Ryzens was due to the pre week-25 hardware flaw? And If I'm getting this right, the C6, sleep state thing is the other bug you refer to? If so, the sleep state bug also affects Ryzen+, as the Typical current Idle setting in firmware was necessary for my 2700x. Am I nearer the mark now?
paologab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paologab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Paolo61 Paolo61 wrote:

Still freeze

hi, when I set up the box I solved the issue of seldom random freezes enablig the ram voltage to manual offset at -0,1v (now I'm @ -0,08) and setting the two ram LLc voltages to 3.

I enabled also the OC voltage profile even if I didn't oc neither the processor nor the ram. Still, I'd enabled the XFR/PBO.

More on cstates and so on, in my notes for this issue, I'd also 'disable cool and quiet'.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X w/Wraith prism
x470 Taichi bios 3.50
16gb HX432C16PB3K2/16 (hynix H5AN8G8NCJR-UHC)
M.2 970 EVO, SATA SSD, 2 SATA HDD
AMD Radeon RX 580 8G OC
Linux Kernel 5.4
Manjaro Stable XFCE
Paolo61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:10pm
Thanks I will try, now is all on default.
it coul be a good idea.
Let you know
Paolo61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:24pm
I was able to change few of the BIOS parameter bu I can't find the LLC for the RAM, in any case now it freeze only when it start and after few reboot it works OK for the day.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:49am
Originally posted by jinjervitus jinjervitus wrote:

Help me out here. The segfaults which manifested to ferociously in linux on 1st gen Ryzens was due to the pre week-25 hardware flaw? And If I'm getting this right, the C6, sleep state thing is the other bug you refer to? If so, the sleep state bug also affects Ryzen+, as the Typical current Idle setting in firmware was necessary for my 2700x. Am I nearer the mark now?

Segfault is different from hardware freezes, yes. If you are still getting hardware freezes even with Ryzen+, then you got some really bard part. Try RMAing it. A lot of Ryzen+ don't have the freeze issue. I suppose it still happens in some defective chips, but only in some minority, unlike in first generation Ryzens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinjervitus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:54am
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

Segfault is different from hardware freezes, yes. If you are still getting hardware freezes even with Ryzen+, then you got some really bard part. Try RMAing it. A lot of Ryzen+ don't have the freeze issue. I suppose it still happens in some defective chips, but only in some minority, unlike in first generation Ryzens.

I never said I was getting hardware freezes. Because I am not. My 2700x system is fine and completely stable, idle or under load. I'm merely trying to understand how many issues there are, whom they affect and what mitigates/fixes them. I'm interested in this stuff.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:04am

I never said I was getting hardware freezes. Because I am not. My 2700x system is fine and completely stable, idle or under load. I'm merely trying to understand how many issues there are, whom they affect and what mitigates/fixes them. I'm interested in this stuff.

There are two issues.

1. Segfaults under heavy multi-threaded load. Affects early first generation Ryzen chips.
2. Freezes due to C6 (idle). Affects all first generation Ryzens.

I.e. Ryzen+ should should be free of both of them as far as I know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinjervitus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:50am
Ah. Thanks. I will test the C6 issue on my 2700x, as I have it off for some reason. I might have justnthrown that into the pot while first setting my system up, unaware that it did not apply to my CPU. Is this the same issuenthat is addressed by setting Low Current to Tyoical instead of Idle?
Paolo61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:36pm
Fixed with the new BIOS 3.4.
Works also with new kernel 5.1.5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic