ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi Bios 3.20 Linux freeze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi Bios 3.20 Linux freeze
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:21pm
Hi, after installing the 3.20 BIOS I ahve frequent freeze on my linux pc, I tryed to install a new kernerl 5.x but same problems random freeze .
All was been OK and stable from when I build it last December .
Please help
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 5:47am
Verify that "Global C States" is Disabled. I think that's what it's called. I ran into a similar issue going from a 1.5x BIOS to the 2.00 one. Another item to reverify is Idle Current set to Typical.
Paolo61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:46pm
thanks i changed the Global C state, was not able to find the Idle flag.
For now is working, I test for few days and then if is ok I will close the issue.
Thanks.
Paolo61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 11:45pm
Still freeze, less prone but still :(
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 11:52pm
I think maybe some of these settings get reset when updating BIOS versions.   It's probably a good idea to note down any specific changes you make and re-check them after a BIOS update. That's what I am going to do, going forward!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:07am
Also note that if you want all the bells and whistles on Ryzen under Linux, it's a thorny garden. Even kernel is being still patched for a few things when Ryzen is in play.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:08am
If you have first generation Ryzens - the freezes are a known hardware bug. The only proper fix is to get second generation Ryzen and newer.

See: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

The firmware should have a workaround (something like "typical current idle"). But it just disables package C6, it's not a real fix. It does prevent freezes though.
jinjervitus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinjervitus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:58am
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

If you have first generation Ryzens - the freezes are a known hardware bug. The only proper fix is to get second generation Ryzen and newer.

See: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

The firmware should have a workaround (something like "typical current idle"). But it just disables package C6, it's not a real fix. It does prevent freezes though.

Not quite correct. This hardware bug only affected pre-week 25 cpus. If you have one, AMD will RMA and replace it with a post -week 25 cpu, still first gen. Anything week 25 or later is not affected. Typical power setting is still sometimes needed for ryzen+. This is the case for my 2700x.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:11am
The freeze bug affects all first generation Ryzens, no exception. Just not 100% of them. The week doesn't matter.

You are mixing it with another hardware bug, that caused segfaults due to some messed up memory access. That was indeed fixed in later batches. But the freeze issue was not. Only Zen+ fixes it.
Paolo61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:52pm
The point is
Bios 3.10 e previous all Works OK
Bios 3.20 freeze
So is not a Ryzen problem
I was not able to find the idle setting on this Bios, I set other parameters and now hope it works.
More later on.
But thanks fo all the suggestions.
:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic