ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ryzen + RAM strangeness. 2200G + ASRock AB350 Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen + RAM strangeness. 2200G + ASRock AB350 Pro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen + RAM strangeness. 2200G + ASRock AB350 Pro
    Posted: 03 May 2019 at 2:10am
I have a Ryzen 2200G in an ASRock AB350 Pro 4 motherboard.

So far it's been absolutely perfect for me. The 2200G worked immediately without having to use a non APU chip to update it.

My 1TB NVMe is working flawlessly after a firmware update.

I had 2x4GB RAM that I just got because it was cheap and I had to wait on an upgrade. I knew it probably wouldn't run at full speed in this motherboard and it didn't.

I searched on ASRock's site for which RAM I could get where I could run 4 pieces and get full speed, I ended up with the Ballistix 8GB (BLT8G4D30BET4K) got two of them for now, planning to get 2 more next month.
Now for my issues/questions.

1) If I have both RAM modules in A1 and A2, they run at full speed (well, 2933, close enough). The BIOS says they're in "single channel mode". Is that correct? (I assume so)

2) If I put one module in A1 and one module in B1, it absolutely won't run at speed, or ANY speed besides non XMP profile speed of 2200. Luckily the motherboard tests the changes then reboots to the previous settings on failure.

3) I absolutely cannot control the RGB on these modules. Not from the BIOS, not from the ASRock RGB app for this motherboard. They're stuck as a sickly bile yellow color.

So my questions are really just... if I get 2 more of these modules will they work at full speed? (ASRock's spec sheet claims they will) and is there any way to get the damned color to change? It's hideous.

Thanks in advance!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 4:39am
You should use slots A2 & B2 for 2 sticks of RAM. If the RAM is in QVL it should run at its rated speed. 4 sticks should run just as fine too, but maybe at lower speed.

There are thousands of Ryzen RAM threads and guides around the web. Check some for more info. It's been discussed countless times even here.

Remeber to push the RAM sticks all the way down. Clear CMOS at every change too.

If RAM is still in sigle channel you may want to try another BIOS version.
FireMrshlBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireMrshlBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:05am
Try A2/B2. Also, try running MemTest86 (look for a download online, like Guru3d' site). Maybe one of your sticks is bad and while it posts when in single channel, its not hitting the bad memory addresses during use so no issues? Worth a shot and some peace of mind. But I'd turn off XMP so it will post while in dual channel and run it to see if any errors are thrown. If you get any, make sure all other OC's and whatnot are taken off so you are running @stock everything and try again, if you still get errors, then bad memory or motherboard issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic