ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi GPU problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supernova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi GPU problems
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:57am

Hi,
I'm trying to get better viewport speeds so I have tried a range of different graphcis cards from W7100 AMD, Nvidia 1080, Nvidia 2080 and the frame rate in Maya is nearly Identical, I would have thought 2080 would have smashed the other two.
This is using Autodesks Maya 2016 windows 10, AMD 1920 Thread ripper, 32GB.
What could case this issue? Also having Maya crash in certain scenes.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:03pm
This is a very specific issue and won't likely be something anyone on the forums can help you with. I suspect even a support ticket to ASRock won't be of much use as I doubt anyone in their tech support department will have taken a deep dive into Maya and it's inner workings. Your best bet would probably be the Autodesk forums in the Maya section or contacting Audodesk's support.

All I can say is that if it's anything like 3ds Max (which I personally use) then it is likely a configuration issue somewhere. In Max I can set viewport acceleration parameters and API (DX, OpenGL etc). In addition, it doesn't matter how powerful the GPU is if it is not ramping up it's clocks with the application. If you are stuck at idle clocks because the GPU doesn't recognize Maya as a 3d workload (stuck at say 300mhz core and memory clocks) then your FPS will remain the same on that card and another lesser card because neither are giving you their full performance.

If you are not getting your full GPU performance you can try setting Maya to "performance mode" under your Nvidia control applet. Where the setting is and how it is accessed has changed a lot since I last used it so you may need to google it. That might help but I suspect it is more likely that you need to configure your viewport acceleration options.

Good luck
Gimli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 2:02am
Depending on how many of the 16x PCIe slots you're using some will limit themselves to 8 buses, this may be where your bottleneck is. IIRC there's also an option in the BIOS to manually set the number of buses assigned to each of the 4 PCIe x16 slots.

If you want to make sure the slot is assigned all of its 16 buses install your graphics card in PCIe slot 1, make sure there's nothing in the other PCIe x16 slots and check the advanced PCIe options in the BIOS and make sure PCIe slot 1 is assigned 16 buses or it's set to "automatic".

The supported options are:
single at x16 (PCIE1);
dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x16 (PCIE4);
triple at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE4);
quad at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE4) / x8 (PCIE5))*
Supernova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supernova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:24am
Thanks
@Xalter yes I'm a 3dsmax user myself. My wife has tried all the different Viewport settings OpenGL, DirectX, Parral mode, etc..

@Gimli, I will double check to see if the GPU is in PCIE1. I am only using two sticks of RAM. Yesterday I tried 4 sticks to see if it was Quad channel thing going on but made no difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic