ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi p5.10+ lost NVME

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi p5.10+ lost NVME
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:30pm
Here is my problem.
Under BIOS p3.30 everything worked fine. I bought a Vega 56 and after reboot crashed the BIOs (flashing 00 error) [this is a whole other post].

So I decided to upgrade the BIOS.

- installed latest VGA driver ASRock. System was fine.
- flashed P5.10 - system could not find the NVME drive.
- flashed p5.50 - system could not find the NVME drive.
- disconnected all other storage devices - no NVME.
- booted with another physical SATA disk - Windows can find the NVME and I can navigate the folders. So I know the NVME works and is usable and confirmed this is a BIOS issue.

I had this issue before but was able to revert to p3.30 and ignore it. As ASRock has limited the ability to downgrade the BIOS I am stuck.
Logged the issue with ASRock support.

Anyone else have NVME issues?
X370 Taichi, 16GB, 256M.2
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:43pm
Did you by chance happen to clear the CMOS ?
genedjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:51pm
Just did that. No change.
genedjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:36am
OK: Update
The BIOS now shows the NVME drive (I did nothing) so I figure, try reinstalling windows. But Windows says it cannot install windows to that drive. So right now I do not have the ability to use NVME.

This is so frustrating. It appears that the BIOS update, disabled being able to boot form NVME - but hey, that is a key feature.
genedjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:58am
A little more info.? As I could see the NVME disk in BIOS after several reboots, i decided to just reinstall windows.? But Windows error'd out saying it could not install on the disk (it could see it).

The error: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS.

In storage it shows enabled as far as I can tell.
genedjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:41am
From another thread, going into the UEFI, Boot, CSM and setting "Launch Storage OpROM Policy" option to UEFI Only. This allowed windows to start the install, but after reboot it can no longer find the system it just installed on.

genedjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 3:48am
Update: Using an SSD I reinstalled windows and proceeding to setup everything. After some tinkering with Diskpart.exe I cleaned all the partitions the Windows installer left behind on the NVME disk, created a simple partition, and formatted it.

ASRock did contact me and will be offering a RMA to replace the MB. But as everything but booting from the Ultra M.2 slot seems to work. I have asked for a solution to that issue.

also - I still need to test the original issue of the new Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse causing the BIOS to crash leaving the blinking "00" error.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 11:47am
00 is CPU related. Not good.

https://asrock.com/support/faq.us.asp?id=334
genedjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genedjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 12:22pm
But I disagree. After playing with this for 3 days, here is what I surmise.
The "00" error is a catch bag, indicating that an error occurred and the CPU died.

But here is my update:

After several reboots, the NVME disk is now seen by the bios (why did it not just be there on boot one?) but I cannot boot from it. Tried many different scenarios but - no go.

I do have a SSD that I put in SATA 1 and its working fine as a bootable disk.

Right now all storage, GPU and other peripherals are working as expected. The only limitation, and its a big one for me, is I cannot boot from the "Ultra M.2" slot.

ASRock has replied, and I have asked about how to resolve the boot issue.
More when I know more.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 12:54pm
Interesting............

Do you have any card in PCIE5, the bottom slot?

Which M2 position are you using? M2_1 or M2_2?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic