ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 different RAMs of size and frequency work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bourdu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 different RAMs of size and frequency work?
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:58pm
Hi,
I'm using a 8GB ram now but I want to upgrade my RAM.
So I have a question, can I use another 16GB RAM to AB350M-HDV along with the current 8 GB?
Is there any side effect or problem?

Thanks for helping.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:13pm
Dear Bourdu,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

For system stable and also dual channel activation, both memory modules should be identical and also coming from the same memory kit (2 x 8GB or 2 x 16GB).

If install a 8GB memory + 16GB memory, the system may unstable or the performance will lower than your expectation.

If you'd like to upgrade system memory, please refer to our QVL to install supported module.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp#Memory

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:52pm
In short, it will probably work but you will not get dual channel operation so performance will be no better than a single module. If all you care about is capacity then the performance will remain unchanged from what you have now but you will have more RAM available to your games/applications.

ASRock does NOT recommend this config as it is outside of the optimal operating parameters of your hardware. My saying it will work is based on personal experience. It will work only if both modules are fully compatible with your board and again, not in dual channel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic