ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi Ultimate Win10 1903 hang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi Ultimate Win10 1903 hang
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:31pm

I've been trying to upgrade to 1903, and the install will hang hard requiring a reset. It only does this in UEFI boot mode. I've got two install of Win 10 x64, one in UEFI mode, and the second in CSM mode.

1903 upgraded the CSM install fine without a hitch, but no luck with the UEFI mode install. I've tried the upgrade, a clean install to a new empty GPT partition, and even an install from booting from the USB install image.

All result in a hard lock up soon after starting. Again, with the CSM mode, everything works fine.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on what to try? Thanks.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 10:28pm
Did your drive partition table set up as GPT ?
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:42am

I've got a total of five hard drives. Two are set up as GPT, and the UEFI install is on a partition on one of those. The CSM install is on another one which is set up as MBR.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:36pm
try disconnecting all drives except the one you want windoze on. Bios settings at default.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 6:43am

Messing around, I think I've figured out the trouble. The GPT disk I was booting off in UEFI mode, and/or the EFI system partition thereon appears to be hinky or something.

I've got a second EFI partition on the second GPT drive, and when I set that to the boot drive, the problem *appears* to go away. I could successfully do a clean install of Win10 1903 with that.

Now, I'm going to attempt to do an upgrade install of my main UEFI install here.

I have no idea what the problem is, but it's something about that disk or the EFI partition. Later, I may delete it and recreate it and see if that fixes things.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic