ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

High CPU Temperature in BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mETALFIRTINa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High CPU Temperature in BIOS
    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:01am
Hey guys,
X399M Taichi CPU temperature is wrong in BIOS.
It shows as 69 degrees, but in Windows10 only 34 degrees.
Due to the wrong CPU temperature, the fans are always 100%.
Please ASROCK fix this in next BIOS.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:48am
Dear mETALFIRTINa,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

Referring your question about wrong temperature under BIOS, we have built a system to check it.
However, both CPU temperature and the fan speed are running properly.

It is normal that CPU temperature under BIOS show higher than temperature show under operating system.

The reason is that there are no drivers under BIOS that will allocate the energy more efficiently.
With drivers under Windows, CPU temperature will become lower.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD
paologab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paologab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:46pm
hi
due to the reference of the OP to the fans I think that the problem is the well known one thet you can see in the forum first sticky thread.

The bios exposes two temperatures one for the fans (tDie temperature plus an offset of +30°C for the TR) and one for everyone (tDie).
The bios shows also the M/B temperature, that can also be set as reference for the fans.

So in Windows may be you see only one of the latters (tDie or M/B) while the fans are set to monitor tDie that to fans is exposed with the offset of +30°C.

To adjust them bahaviour use the Fan-tastic menu in bios to shape your fan curve and the sensor reference
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X w/Wraith prism
x470 Taichi bios 3.50
16gb HX432C16PB3K2/16 (hynix H5AN8G8NCJR-UHC)
M.2 970 EVO, SATA SSD, 2 SATA HDD
AMD Radeon RX 580 8G OC
Linux Kernel 5.4
Manjaro Stable XFCE
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:13pm
I have a similar question.

I recently updated my UEFI, and so fan settings were reset.
I tried setting the CPU fan settings to custom, to lower speed when computer is idle.

The CPU fan can be set to monitor "CPU", "M/B", or "TCTL".

I initially set to CPU, and set my temperatures, and fan speeds. When I tested in windows, my fan speed would not go up, at all, when the CPU was under load and temperatures were rising.

In order for it to work, I had to set the monitor to TCTL, and used temperatures with an offset of +27c. This seems to work, but now, because there is a hard limit of 100c in the temperature settings, the critical temp can only be 100 at the max, which, in TCTL mode, means a die temp of 73c. Does that mean my computer will shut down if my cpu reaches 73c? That could happen...

How to I properly set the CPU fan???
paologab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paologab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 4:27pm
hi

while we wait for someone from ASRock, my two pence.

You should say which m/b and bios you have.

That said, actually any bios should have only CPU (the old tCtrl) and MB sensors shown, so I think you have an old bios.

For the temperature cap, 100° and the offset is for the fans, for what I've understood, while the real cpu temperature limit is hardcoded in the cpu itself (for my ryzen should be 85°), so once there it starts throttling in order to reduce the load and keep the temperature there.

This is the behaviour I observed. For istance, with heavy stress the temperature rockets to 80° (and so do the fans...) than gradually in few minutes reaches 85° and stays there forever (or until I kill the stressing processes).

I never had a shut down due to the temperature level.

Anyway you can test it yourself, simply burn an ISO (win PE or linux), boot it and stress the cpu (for linux I use stressng with matrix option), so even if you have a shutdown, you don't put at risk your working system and you can tweak more.

x470 Taichi bios 3.50
AMD Radeon RX 580 8G OC
Linux Kernel 5.4
Manjaro Stable XFCE
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 5:32pm
i believe the bios does put the cpu in stress and max voltage for it to POST
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by paologab paologab wrote:

hi

while we wait for someone from ASRock, my two pence.

You should say which m/b and bios you have.

That said, actually any bios should have only CPU (the old tCtrl) and MB sensors shown, so I think you have an old bios.

For the temperature cap, 100° and the offset is for the fans, for what I've understood, while the real cpu temperature limit is hardcoded in the cpu itself (for my ryzen should be 85°), so once there it starts throttling in order to reduce the load and keep the temperature there.

This is the behaviour I observed. For istance, with heavy stress the temperature rockets to 80° (and so do the fans...) than gradually in few minutes reaches 85° and stays there forever (or until I kill the stressing processes).

I never had a shut down due to the temperature level.

Anyway you can test it yourself, simply burn an ISO (win PE or linux), boot it and stress the cpu (for linux I use stressng with matrix option), so even if you have a shutdown, you don't put at risk your working system and you can tweak more.

Thanks for responding. Sorry I didn't mention my m/B. It's the same as the OP on this thread, which is why I didn't mention it. Taichi x399, with UEFI 3.50; the latest. And there is a TCTRL temperature sensor option for the CPU fan control. It's the only one that controls the curve. I think the Threadripper has a higher temperature threshold than your CPU. But I may be wrong. Thanks for checking in.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 11:51pm
OH and my CPU is a 1950x.
paologab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paologab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

[QUOTE=paologab] hi

.... I think the Threadripper has a higher temperature threshold than your CPU. But I may be wrong. Thanks for checking in.

no you're right, normal ryzen +10°C while TR +30°C offset
x470 Taichi bios 3.50
AMD Radeon RX 580 8G OC
Linux Kernel 5.4
Manjaro Stable XFCE
rewtdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewtdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:32am
This still affects the x399 and threadripper 2.
This exact same issue happens on my phantom gaming 6 with the latest 1.30 BIOS
Just bought my MB yesterday and was freaking out that I had done something wrong and was cooking my threadripper..

This same issue also reports the incorrect CPU temp to EVGA cooling software as well.

Ryzen Master reports the correct CPU temp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic