ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme7+ / Samsung 950 Pro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme7+ / Samsung 950 Pro
    Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 10:15am
Just got 2 Samsung 950 Pro delivered and installed.

Windows 10 detected both drives and installed just fine.

buttttttt wondering when the Bios will support the new drive and the capability to Raid 0 it.

THX!!!!!!!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 10:44am
Whether or not you can use two NVMe PCIe SSDs in a RAID 0 array is mainly dependent upon the Intel IRST RAID driver and EFI storage Option ROM.

AHCI PCIe SSDs (SM951) can be configured into a RAID 0 array using the Z170 Extreme7+ board. I've done that myself. I haven't done that with NVMe SSDs, and am not aware of anyone that has done that yet.

But it is easy enough to test for yourself. Ideally you would have Win 10 installed on another drive besides one of the 950s. Win 10 would have been installed in RAID mode, and the CSM sub-option in the UEFI, Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only. Or Win 10 installed in RAID mode and CSM disabled. You will also need to enable the RST PCIe Storage Remapping options for the M.2 ports you are using.

Then in the Advanced screen, an entry for the IRST utility should be shown. That is where you can create a RAID 0 array of the 950s, if it is possible. If the 950 Pros are not listed as drives that can be used in a RAID array, then it can't be done yet with the current IRST driver and software.

You can also try to create the RAID 0 array using the IRST Windows program, with all of the above requirements of course.

STANKYLEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 10:52am
Yeah,  familiar with it myself as I've done it with other SSD's.

In the BIOS though, the bios shows the M.2 slots as EMPTY  so you can't create a raid.

I will try to post a picture of it.

STANKYLEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 11:08am
Here is what it looks like with the Samsung 950 Pro's installed,  Slot 1 and 3 should be filled.

The System browser shows them filled and Windows 10 sees both the drives fine,  it's just the BIOS doesn't yet.

STANKYLEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 12:50pm
well BIOS says N/A in easy mode for the M2 Slots and so does advanced.  But the IRST will actually let you create/install the RAID it just had blank selection (basically the SSD had no title to select) but I was able to select the blanks, and it created the raid from there.

these are the results I have gotten from 2 samsung 950 pro's in RAID 0

the SEQ Read/Write is around 2800 MB/s & 2400 MB/s damn

with a single samsung 950 pro drive it was going about as fast as advertised   2400 / 1400  

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 2:40pm
You won't see any entries in the UEFI for NVMe PCIe SSDs when they are in a RAID array or not, when you have RST PCIe Remapping options enabled for the M.2 ports you are using. The only listing of your 950's will be in the IRST utility in the UEFI, and the IRST Windows program.

We are now using two different storage protocols in one board, SATA and NVMe PCIe. Currently the two different storage protocols don't have their own configuration screens, if that is even possible with the current AMI UEFI firmware. The NVMe SSDs work fine but the multiple storage protocols used at the same time is difficult to deal with. Hopefully that will be improved and we will have better listings of the different drives.

When you created the RAID 0 array, did you use the default 16K stripe size? If so, I learned with some other PCIe SSD users that you must use the 128K stripe size to get the best performance.

Another thing we learned is if you clear the CMOS/UEFI, or update the UEFI to a new version (both set all options to their default values), when you start the PC after either of them, the RAID 0 array will fail. That does not happen with SATA SSDs in RAID arrays.

If you want to use your RAID 0 array as an OS drive, be careful and always have a way to restore your OS installation easily, or you will be installing from scratch.
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 8:56pm
I have this board, also looking at a couple of 950 pros to play with. Some good info here parsec, thanks much...

Surely there can't be two parsecs running round the net with this much raid info... good to see you again. Smile
STANKYLEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 9:36pm
Yeah,  i've seen it wipe out the Raid already once.  Lol. debating if i should take one of them out until a Bios can stabilize it?

Starman63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starman63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 8:04am
I have 2 new 950 pros in a 170 OC Formula.

I have the raid created in the bios and it shows the raid is bootable.

However, when I go to load windows (Yes, I have loaded the Intel 64 bit driver) it recognizes the entire 1tb (almost) drive, but will not install to it because it says the drive is not bootable due to the controller...

I have tried MANY options and they all do the same thing.

GRRRR
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

I have this board, also looking at a couple of 950 pros to play with. Some good info here parsec, thanks much...

Surely there can't be two parsecs running round the net with this much raid info... good to see you again. Smile

OMG, DooRules, is that really you?!?!?! Wink Thumbs Up

You've been MIA from the OCN SSD forum for a long time now, I was worried you drove your snow mobile off a cliff... seriously!!! Cool

You gotta know it's me man, cuz it is. Great to see you are still in this game too!!

Be careful with RAID 0 of these PCIe SSDs, you MUST use the 128K stripe or performance is terrible. Plus the IRST 14.6 driver is... the first one that really works with these SSDs, and is still a little flaky.

Otherwise, lets see what YOU can do with these SSDs and ASRock board (??)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic