ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to X470 Taichi (non ultimate) - RAMissues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to X470 Taichi (non ultimate) - RAMissues
    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:29am
First of all my system specs:

Ryzen 1800X
X470 Taichi (non ultimate)
Corsair Vengeance LED CMU64GX4M4C3000C15 4dimm kit.
1080ti

BIOS rev 3.43

I bought this board looking to upgrade to a Zen2 3900X.

I can only POST if I leave my XMP and DRAM speed on Auto. (I'm not touching the 3200 XMP provided in the BIOS)

I'm not only stuck at 2133MHz with my 3000MHz kit that used to work fine on my old Prime X370 Pro but no matter what I try in the BIOS is a nono.

Even if I manually type in the default 2133Mhz values the MOBO is using I'm unable to POST. Tried one by one all the additional options such as ProODT etc... nothing helped.

Even if I leave it all on auto besides the RAM speed manually set to 2133MHz no POST.

I see the board using a value of 15 by default on TrdrdSc and when I try to type that on the box my max value allowed is 10 or so. That also happens with some other value.

How I'm I supposed to train my memory under these circumstances?

I don't see CLDO_VDDP in the BIOS, where is that? Not in the AMD CBS for sure.

BTW: Where are the LLC options regarding switching freq? I can't find that either.

Is it only me or the memory side of this BIOS is rather buggy?

Is Asrock working on this that you can tell?

Is it a problem with the latest BIOSes?

I did tried with the DRAM calculator, also tried with the values I know from my Prime X370 Pro. Nope! beeĆ¼ beep beep!

Thanks a million in advance, so far I tried for hours patiently but nothing helped, not even at 2400Mhz. Snif! :(
Sacco_Belmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:37am
My RAM Kit is not in the QVL. I'm not saying I should automatically get my rated 3000Mhz but at least something, at least POST at manually set default 2133Mhz and see from there...this BIOS feels like nothing whatsoever works in the memory area. A total brick wall.

Ah, BTW: The BIOS also states "Single channel mode" in the main window where I can clearly see all DIMM slots populated and CPUz says the ram is running in Dual mode.

That's another hint that this BIOS has a broken memory training engine.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:41am
Well, where do I start?

1st gen Ryzens (1800X too) have issues with memory speed and compatibility. Their IMC can hardly drive 4 DIMMs above 2400, even with the best RAM.

Second, your memory is not in the QVL for this mobo. More so, this memory is known for its incompatibility with Ryzen.

Best you can do - swap it for a compatible one. Backup plan - run Ryzen Mem Calc by 1usmus, record the values given by the calc, clear CMOS, put the recorded values manually in BIOS.

Fingers crossed!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Sacco_Belmonte Sacco_Belmonte wrote:

My RAM Kit is not in the QVL. I'm not saying I should automatically get my rated 3000Mhz but at least something, at least POST at manually set default 2133Mhz and see from there...this BIOS feels like nothing whatsoever works in the memory area. A total brick wall.

Ah, BTW: The BIOS also states "Single channel mode" in the main window where I can clearly see all DIMM slots populated and CPUz says the ram is running in Dual mode.

That's another hint that this BIOS has a broken memory training engine.

Hmm, we were writing together at the same time.

Single channel mode can also mean some of your RAM sticks are not well seated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:45am
I have been using the 1usmus CALC but lately is been giving weird lower values. Like a CAS of 13 at 2933 for my kit which should be around 16

I did tried 2933 and 3000 and nope! nothing.

What makes me think is rather an Asrock thing is that my RAM was working quite nicely in my Prime X370 Pro.

Yeah I guess I would order a compatible kit, the bad thing is that I do need 64GB and that hurts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:48am
I forgot to mention I cleaned the pins and re installed the RAM modules. Still says single mode. This happened to others too as I found in other forums.

I also tried with 2 sticks. Still says single channel, Tried swapping sticks, same.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:50am
I honestly thing the memory side in the Asrock BIOS is not doing what it should, not even letting it retry 10 times with default JEDEC 2133 values.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:56am
I guess the best would be to wait till there is a QVL for Zen 2 and buy a rew RAM kit then....and in the meantime I can see if new BIOSes fix my current kit.

Oh well...
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 6:36am
For dual-channel to work you must use A2/B2 slots. It SHOULD POST in dual-channel, albeit maybe @ 2133.

Now, last paragraph would be valid for regular RAM. You however have 16GB per stick. Now let me tell you that I'm yet to see a 1st generation Ryzen driving 16GB per stick. It's not the mobo at fault here, it's a CPU limitation. Better wait for Zen 2, you just might not need to swap the memory after all.

As for ASRock's BIOS not doing its thing - I highly doubt it, and believe me, there is probably no other person hating their BIOS like me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacco_Belmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 9:41am
I know what happened now.

I skipped BIOS 2.00 when going from v1 to 3.43 without going through v2.00 which concerns my CPU

Do you know what is the best way to roll back? Is it AFUDOS? Can I use any AFUDOS.exe I find in the internet?

Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic