ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Extreme4 does not detect Samsung Pro 950 M.2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme4 does not detect Samsung Pro 950 M.2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITKosta829 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme4 does not detect Samsung Pro 950 M.2
    Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 4:46am
Just as the subject states, my newly purchased X99 Extreme4 does not detect a Samsung Pro 950 M.2.  Any tips to get it detected would help.  BIOS is most current at v2.00.

As a side note, in the systembrowser, the M.2 slot is highlighted yellow just as the other components in the system and it says M2_1: NVME Mass Storage Controller.  The other PCIE slots that are unoccupied are not highlighted yellow so i believe it is recognized.

In the Storage Configuration screen however it says Ultra M.2: Not Detected.

System Specs:
Core i7-5820
32GB Quad Channel Corsair DDR4-2133
Sapphire 8GB R9 390
Samsung 256GB V-NAND SSD 950 Pro M.2 NVM Express

***Edit***

Few things i noticed while trying to figure things out.  Trying my windows 7 Ultimate disc, install would not detect the drive.  

I tried my Windows 8.1 USB installer, and it detected the drive.  A notice was posted below the partition creation window indicating that windows could not be installed.
"The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk.  Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in BIOS."

Edited by ITKosta829 - 06 Nov 2015 at 10:26am
ITKosta829 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITKosta829 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 11:13am
OK i kinda figured it out myself and got windows 8.1 installed after i disabled CSM and disabled my sata controllers temporarily.

this video helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

I still want to know why the M.2 Drive isnt detected in BIOS...
alex1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:00pm
I have the same problem. Is there a solution?
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:59pm
It does not show up in my bios either but is available for Os install for w10. Pretty sure at this point it does not show up in any of our bios's  except as you mentioned the system browser.

Windows 7 needs NVMe drivers added at install for the 950 to be seen. 

Edited by DooRules - 30 Dec 2015 at 7:59pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 2:56pm
Don't forget the 950 Pro is an NVMe drive, which is unrelated to SATA drives. We are now dealing with multiple drive protocols in one PC, and the UEFI interface is still being worked out to deal with this situation.

NVMe SSDs not being listed in the UEFI is normal, and not a sign of a problem. Z170 chipset boards with the latest UEFI versions may list NVMe SSDs, but older chipsets so far don't have that capability. If the NVMe SSD is in the Boot order, and seen by the Windows installer or in Windows itself, all is well.

If you check the System Browser feature in Tools in the UEFI, does that show the 950? My ASRock X99 and Z170 boards will show the 950 Pro, the SM951, and the Intel 750 NVMe SSD in the System Browser.

The Intel 750 SSD is listed in the Advanced screen as an individual entry in the UEFI of my Z170 board. That UEFI also has an NVMe configuration entry in the Advanced screen, but that seems to appear only when Legacy booting (CSM Enabled.)

The 950 Pro is not listed like the Intel 750 is in the Z170 board's UEFI. I assume that is because Intel supplies the storage Option ROMs that are used by the UEFI, while Samsung does not. Samsung's Magician software spells Intel as "Inet" and displays the 750's product number backwards, so they get some revenge.

Z97 and X99 chipset boards are the "oldest" chipsets that can be used with NVMe SSDs. The NVMe SSDs were released after those chipsets, so we are lucky we can use NVMe SSDs on those boards at all.

EDIT: My statement above in italics is not correct. That is, it is not correct if an earlier Intel chipset board, the seven or eight series chipsets, does NOT have a UEFI/BIOS update to support a PCIe NVMe SSD.

My ASRock Z77 Extreme4 board has a Beta UEFI version that supports NVMe. I'm currently using an Intel 750 NVMe SSD as the OS drive on that board, using Win 10, and the Beta UEFI version. Of course the Windows installation must be a UEFI booting configuration, or at least use the Launch UEFI Storage OpROM Policy sub-option of the CSM option.

Edited by parsec - 02 May 2016 at 12:02pm
napajedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napajedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:25pm
Hello guys
I have a X99m ext4, my bios does not show the 950 pro, but the slot M.2 x4 lines was already 'prepared for ssd M.2 when they built the motherboard ...
GODenergy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GODenergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:21am
Originally posted by ITKosta829 ITKosta829 wrote:

OK i kinda figured it out myself and got windows 8.1 installed after i disabled CSM and disabled my sata controllers temporarily.

Ugh, well I just installed my Samsung 950 Pro 256GB into my ASROCK X99 Extreme4 aswell.

It was NOT detected in the BIOS under storage but however was in the "BOOT OPTIONS" for some reason.

Of course, when I booted off my USB external CD/DVD drive and launched Windows 8, it was NOT detected there either.

I followed the instructions off that youtube video and managed to atleast install Windows 8 on the M.2 Samsung 950 using the USB Windows 8 UEFI per the video and disabling the CSM option in BIOS and deleting the boot keys.

The m.2 samsung 950 is still not showing up in BIOS though. I even installed the Samsung 950 PRO driver off the samsung website, but that seem to do literally nothing ( what does it even do?) Can anyone explain why does CSM need to be disabled and what does deleting the secure boot keys do?

I had some buggy stuff too happen where I went to power down the PC after installing Windows 8 on the M.2 drive and the screen went black and never powered down. And upon booting up i had some visual glitches (LAN icon got duplciated bottom left):
http://i.imgur.com/PrhS0Tz.jpg

Edited by GODenergy - 02 May 2016 at 7:22am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by GODenergy GODenergy wrote:

Ugh, well I just installed my Samsung 950 Pro 256GB into my ASROCK X99 Extreme4 aswell.

It was NOT detected in the BIOS under storage but however was in the "BOOT OPTIONS" for some reason.

Of course, when I booted off my USB external CD/DVD drive and launched Windows 8, it was NOT detected there either.

I followed the instructions off that youtube video and managed to atleast install Windows 8 on the M.2 Samsung 950 using the USB Windows 8 UEFI per the video and disabling the CSM option in BIOS and deleting the boot keys.

The m.2 samsung 950 is still not showing up in BIOS though. I even installed the Samsung 950 PRO driver off the samsung website, but that seem to do literally nothing ( what does it even do?) Can anyone explain why does CSM need to be disabled and what does deleting the secure boot keys do?

I had some buggy stuff too happen where I went to power down the PC after installing Windows 8 on the M.2 drive and the screen went black and never powered down. And upon booting up i had some visual glitches (LAN icon got duplciated bottom left):

Why does CSM need to be disabled? That takes some explanation.

The main reason is, disabling CSM will cause Windows to use the EFI Boot Loader instead of the Legacy Boot loader. This is also called UEFI or EFI Booting. Use of the EFI Boot Loader is required in order for a PCIe NVMe SSD to be able to be an OS drive. If you want more technical explanation than that, I could do so but it won't make much difference in understanding all this.

We have been spoiled for a long time now with plug and play storage drives. NVMe SSDs are not plug and play storage drives, particularly when used as OS drives.

Deleting the Secure Boot keys in general is not related to disabling CSM, unless a board's UEFI has the two connected for some reason. I have never done anything with Secure Boot or secure boot keys on my ASRock boards to configure UEFI booting, never deleted a key or created one. Enabling the Secure Boot option (that uses the keys) has a side affect of disabling CSM, since Secure Boot only works with the EFI Boot Loader. I suppose a UEFI that does not have the CSM option available (older boards) would force you to enable Secure Boot so CSM will be disabled automatically.

As I said above, NVMe is a different storage and interface protocol than SATA. We can't expect a device that has a different interface to be listed with SATA devices. USB flash drives are not SATA devices, do we see those listed in the Storage Configuration screen? Where do we see USB flash drives listed in the UEFI/BIOS? Only two places, in the Boot Order, and in the System Browser tool.

Yes, the M.2 ports are listed in the SATA Storage Configuration screen. But SATA M.2 SSDs exist, Samsung makes M.2 850 EVO equivalent SSDs. Intel also makes SATA M.2 SSDs, as well as Crucial, Plextor, and others. If you used one, it would be listed in the SATA Storage Configuration screen.

If you did not have an NVMe storage driver installed, you could not use your NVMe SSD. Same thing is true for a SATA driver and SATA SSD or HDD. Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have a built in NVMe driver. So if you don't install the Samsung NVMe driver with the Install Driver option in a Windows Custom installation, the Windows NVMe driver is used. Samsung does not provide the typical "F6" type driver files with their NVMe driver, used for the Install Driver option. Intel has their own NVMe driver, and includes the "F6" drivers.

Windows provides standard SATA IDE and AHCI drivers, which are installed automatically if we don't install one ourselves. Believe me, if ANY of these drivers did not exist, we would not be using these drives, SATA or NVMe. You said the NVMe driver seems to do nothing. What does a SATA driver do?

I understand the frustration of things not being the same when using NVMe SSDs. But consider this, does Samsung (for example) provide any information about how their NMVe SSDs must be installed, and how they will interact with a board's UEFI/BIOS? Do they provide any information about the Windows installation configuration needed to make these drives able to boot an OS?

The answer to both of those questions is a simple NO, they don't. Samsung has a guide to installing their NMVe driver, but it all does is walk you through the driver installation prompts. In other words, worthless.

Does Microsoft have a guide to installing NVMe SSDs on their products? I've never found one. I learned about it by studying UEFI booting a few years ago. I picked up a piece of information here and there, that when put together, works. I have a guide to installing Windows on PCIe SSDs as a sticky in this forum.

Yes, you can use UEFI booting with SATA SSDs, and it is the only way I install Windows if I can (AMD... OMG get with it Pinch ) By coincidence, UEFI booting is required for using an NVMe SSD as an OS drive. There are other reasons for using UEFI booting, but that is another topic.

Intel is no better in providing a guide than Samsung and Microsoft.

So then what happens? Who gets to deal with it? Mother board manufactures, that don't manufacture NVMe SSDs. Wacko

You may then say, where is a guide from ASRock on this topic? So a mother board manufacture is then responsible to provide a guide for two products (NVMe SSD and OS software) that they neither manufacture or sell, while the manufactures of those two products themselves do not provide that information? Confused

Plug and play means very little or nothing to deal with when using a device. Again, NVMe SSDs are not plug and play devices. No one told you that? Me too! Wink

andressergio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andressergio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 1:58pm
With latest BIOS should work
GODenergy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GODenergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by GODenergy GODenergy wrote:

Why does CSM need to be disabled? That takes some explanation.

The main reason is, disabling CSM will cause Windows to use the EFI Boot Loader instead of the Legacy Boot loader. This is also called UEFI or EFI Booting. Use of the EFI Boot Loader is required in order for a PCIe NVMe SSD to be able to be an OS drive. If you want more technical explanation than that, I could do so but it won't make much difference in understanding all this.

We have been spoiled for a long time now with plug and play storage drives. NVMe SSDs are not plug and play storage drives, particularly when used as OS drives.

Deleting the Secure Boot keys in general is not related to disabling CSM, unless a board's UEFI has the two connected for some reason. I have never done anything with Secure Boot or secure boot keys on my ASRock boards to configure UEFI booting, never deleted a key or created one. Enabling the Secure Boot option (that uses the keys) has a side affect of disabling CSM, since Secure Boot only works with the EFI Boot Loader. I suppose a UEFI that does not have the CSM option available (older boards) would force you to enable Secure Boot so CSM will be disabled automatically.

As I said above, NVMe is a different storage and interface protocol than SATA. We can't expect a device that has a different interface to be listed with SATA devices. USB flash drives are not SATA devices, do we see those listed in the Storage Configuration screen? Where do we see USB flash drives listed in the UEFI/BIOS? Only two places, in the Boot Order, and in the System Browser tool.

Yes, the M.2 ports are listed in the SATA Storage Configuration screen. But SATA M.2 SSDs exist, Samsung makes M.2 850 EVO equivalent SSDs. Intel also makes SATA M.2 SSDs, as well as Crucial, Plextor, and others. If you used one, it would be listed in the SATA Storage Configuration screen.

If you did not have an NVMe storage driver installed, you could not use your NVMe SSD. Same thing is true for a SATA driver and SATA SSD or HDD. Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have a built in NVMe driver. So if you don't install the Samsung NVMe driver with the Install Driver option in a Windows Custom installation, the Windows NVMe driver is used. Samsung does not provide the typical "F6" type driver files with their NVMe driver, used for the Install Driver option. Intel has their own NVMe driver, and includes the "F6" drivers.

Windows provides standard SATA IDE and AHCI drivers, which are installed automatically if we don't install one ourselves. Believe me, if ANY of these drivers did not exist, we would not be using these drives, SATA or NVMe. You said the NVMe driver seems to do nothing. What does a SATA driver do?

I understand the frustration of things not being the same when using NVMe SSDs. But consider this, does Samsung (for example) provide any information about how their NMVe SSDs must be installed, and how they will interact with a board's UEFI/BIOS? Do they provide any information about the Windows installation configuration needed to make these drives able to boot an OS?

The answer to both of those questions is a simple NO, they don't. Samsung has a guide to installing their NMVe driver, but it all does is walk you through the driver installation prompts. In other words, worthless.

Does Microsoft have a guide to installing NVMe SSDs on their products? I've never found one. I learned about it by studying UEFI booting a few years ago. I picked up a piece of information here and there, that when put together, works. I have a guide to installing Windows on PCIe SSDs as a sticky in this forum.

Yes, you can use UEFI booting with SATA SSDs, and it is the only way I install Windows if I can (AMD... OMG get with it Pinch ) By coincidence, UEFI booting is required for using an NVMe SSD as an OS drive. There are other reasons for using UEFI booting, but that is another topic.

Intel is no better in providing a guide than Samsung and Microsoft.

So then what happens? Who gets to deal with it? Mother board manufactures, that don't manufacture NVMe SSDs. Wacko

You may then say, where is a guide from ASRock on this topic? So a mother board manufacture is then responsible to provide a guide for two products (NVMe SSD and OS software) that they neither manufacture or sell, while the manufactures of those two products themselves do not provide that information? Confused

Plug and play means very little or nothing to deal with when using a device. Again, NVMe SSDs are not plug and play devices. No one told you that? Me too! Wink

Thanks for that in depth reply. As I stated, I just installed my Samsung 950 Pro 256gb in my ASROCK Extreme4 x99 board using this youtube video primarily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg&list=PL6ufSfctCiySiscKkzTyrb411fXHo4N0E&index=2

My only thing now is that I have been loading drivers onto my M.2 Samsung SSD now, and sometimes the drive has "hanged" at startup. I don't know what it is, but the screen freezes while loading into Windows/ASROCK logo flashes. Also, an oddity I noticed was when I FIRST installed the Samsung m.2 nvme 950 drive, upon getting to the desktop and loading the Motherboard drivers,  I hit "shutdown" in the power options and the screen turned black but the PC never shutdown. I  had to manually shutdown. The subsequently boot-up was really laggy and almost didn't boot.

I just reformatted this M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 SSD again now, so 2nd time, and guess what, upon getting to desktop first time and installing motherboard drivers, I went to "shutdown" pc and SAME THING happened : Black screen with cursor and PC still powered on. When I booted up after , it was all laggy/took a long time at the windows screen again but finally got on windows.

What is with all this buggy crap? I'm paranoid now because when I opened the Samsung M.2 SSD in my room , I dropped it on my foot in the carpet. It was like a small drop, like 5feet and again, in carpet, so I assumed it was pretty trivial but now my OCD is getting to me. CSM is disabled and secure boot enabled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic