ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Beebox N3000 slow/limited internet via wireless
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox N3000 slow/limited internet via wireless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vodjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beebox N3000 slow/limited internet via wireless
    Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 8:52am
Hi,

I have a new beebox N3000 4GB with a clean install of Windows 10 Home. I installed all the newest drivers from your support download page.

I cannot establish a decent internet connection via wireless. There are two wireless routers in neighboring rooms, singal quality shown in wifi status is 4-5, connection speed 48-54 Mbps. Still there is very slow or no internet access. When it is randomly established maximum download speed is 2 Mbps.

When connected via ethernet cable the download speed is 15 Mbps, I can stream HD video from Vimeo flawlessly.
If I place my noteboox beside my N3000 I can establish good internet connection with any of the two routers, reaching the same 15 Mbps download speed and streming HD video with no trouble.

There is anoter (maybe related) issue with bluetooth - on Manage bluetooth devices page there is no switch to turn bluetooth off and it keeps searching for remote devices all the time.

Any ideas?

thank you,
Jure

Jolltax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolltax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by vodjj vodjj wrote:

Still there is very slow or no internet access. When it is randomly established maximum download speed is 2 Mbps.

There is anoter (maybe related) issue with bluetooth - on Manage bluetooth devices page there is no switch to turn bluetooth off and it keeps searching for remote devices all the time.

Hi vodjj, a number of people on here (myself included) are experiencing problems with wireless and bluetooth connectivity, currently I would speculate there is some kind of hardware or design issue with the placement of the wireless card / aerials internally.

Some more discussion in this thread,

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=934&title=beebox-n3000stuttering-bluetooth-sound

Cheers

Jolltax
vodjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vodjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 7:19pm
Thank you Joltax. I did some experimenting. I moved my routers so they were very close to the beebox. When 2 meters away the connection speed was good, the measurements were between 12 Mbps and 15 Mbps. When they were 4 meter away the internet connection did establish, but with connection speeds less than 1 Mbps.

As said, my other gear like a noteboox and a bluray player and smartphones work ok with these routers at the distance of 10 meters.

So obviously it is poor wireless reception of the beebox?

I use wireless Logitech keyboard K400 with no big issues, but I had to change USP port and add the provided USB range extender to make it work satisfactory.

Hm.... what to do? I agree, wireless and bluetooth are essential.

regards
Jure

vodjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vodjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:08am
Just to add - my Logitech K400 wireless keyboard is not bluetooth, it works with the Logitech Unifiying receiver plugged into a USB port.

cheers
Jure

Jay123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:58am
Same problem here. Unfortunately, I cannot move the wireless router. However, I tried removing the lid of the Beebox, and run without it. That helped a lot. Connectivity quite nice, and I got about 1.4 MB/s (ca. 14 Mbps) sustained transfer rate. In my opinion, the design is just crappy. Why not bundle it with a cheap external wifi antenna? At the cost of a few cents, that would have solved the problem perfectly...

My current problem is that I do not get sound through hdmi... Argh.

vodjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vodjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:27am
Hi,

I took my beebox to the service and we tried  several combinations, changing the internal wifi adapter, even changing the whole machine (except my disk that we put into another beebox), all without improvement.

Using a 5 GHz wireless router did help, but still the recetion was quite poor with my current placement of the router and beebox. And I didn't like the idea of buying a strong 5GHz router to solve the problem because it is situated very near my desk and bed. So I insisted to solve the problem with my current router (Cisco Linksys WRT160N, my laptop and several cell phones work flawlessly with it).

We solved the problem with this USB wifi adapter:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_Archer-T2U.html

I got it for free at the service. It eats one USB port but I can live with that. I connected it wia 0,5m USB cable because the reception is significantly worse if it is plugged directly into the beebox, it being placed on the vesa mount behind the TV set... Now I have around 28 Mbps speed.

At the service they said my case was unique and that they sell a lot of beeboxes and customers don't complain. I guess it was a combination of reasons:
- poor design of the beebox antennas and/or wifi adapter
- the beebox hardware probably interferes with the wifi, especialya at 2GHz
- lower reception of the beebox if mounted to the vesa mount (it is metallic and the TV set also probably causes interference)
- unlucky position of my router
- perhaps some other electromagnetic interference in my apartment

regards,
Jure

vodjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vodjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:29am
Another thing, Jay123 - I also thought of setting up two external wifi antennas connected directly to the wifi adater inside the beebox. But I never tried. Have you?

Jure
Jay123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 8:47pm
Yeah... sounds more or less like my experience. My guess that this is a design flaw, and that most people don't bother returning it, or ASRock is not quite honest about people's satisfaction or lack thereof. I'm considering using a USB adapter like you do, but ports are an issue. I planned on connecting two external drives and a USB keyboard. Now I will likely have to use one USB Wifi adapter and a memory stick as "drive", if using the "large" 2.5in SSD make the box overheat... I.e., two ports short already. :-(

Another wifi-solution would perhaps be to use an external antenna, e.g., try to get cables through the "lock hole", and use something like

http://www.amazon.com/U-FL-RP-SMA-Pigtail-Antenna-Cable/dp/B005UWD0EG 

which I think would fit with an antenna I have someplace. (So, no, I haven't tried it yet, but is considering it. Especially since things seem ok with the lid off!)

I also got another tip: Try to simply swap the A and M antenna connections. Haven't tried that yet, either. Have you? (It should be harmless, and the person suggesting it told me it helped a lot in many other similar situations.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic