ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DPC_watchdog_violation with zen 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DPC_watchdog_violation with zen 2
    Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:28pm
hi,

since upgrading the CPU from 1600 to 3600 on the same X370 killer sli motherboard, whenever i launch a game in windows, the pc would freeze for a few minutes and the bsod appears. DPC_watchdog_violation
also, after logging into windows, there is always hundreds of WHEA-logger event 17s in the event viewer, something to do with the PCI Express Upstream switch port.

i'm not sure when the cause is, so i wanna ask here and see if someone could help, please.

pc specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: x370 killer sli , BIOS version P5.40, AGESA ComboPI 1.0.0.1
ram: 16gb hynix ddr4 2666c19
graphics: RTX 2060 palit gaming pro oc
graphics driver: nvidia 431.36
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
hi, nvidia is already working on driver to stop this issue
palanoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:35pm
ok then hopefully they can push out a fix asap.
Sirko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

Do you have a reference for this info? Thanks.

I could prevent my DPC_watchdog_violation on a Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X with gskill F4-3200C14D-16GFX (3200mhz) only if I set memory clock speed to 3066 MHz or lower with 1.35v. Maybe that helps.
palanoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Sirko Sirko wrote:

Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

Do you have a reference for this info? Thanks.

I could prevent my DPC_watchdog_violation on a Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X with gskill F4-3200C14D-16GFX (3200mhz) only if I set memory clock speed to 3066 MHz or lower with 1.35v. Maybe that helps.

thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately when the ram was left at stock speed, it still gave me the bsod.
KungFuSpaghetti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFuSpaghetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 5:08am
Turn xmp off for that's what I did and ran is now 2400mhz... but it works and no more crashes.
palanoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:15am
Originally posted by KungFuSpaghetti KungFuSpaghetti wrote:

Turn xmp off for that's what I did and ran is now 2400mhz... but it works and no more crashes.

thanks for the suggestion. the ram is already at its default jedec speed which is 2666c19. there isn't an xmp programmed into it
Max9R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max9R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 3:24pm
This issue affects the X470 Taichi as well. In my case I'm using a Radeon 5700XT and RX 580 so it's not an Nvidia issue either. I'm coming to the conclusion this is more RAM compatibility with Zen 2 and board AIB's needing to get their crap together with it. I'm running G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14D and a 3000C15D kit. Both won't run at their spec'ed speeds without constant Watchdog BSOD, if I run at BIOS defaults it's a tiny bit better but still crashes. Throw in my Ryzen 2 chips and it's fine. This is on the X470 Taichi and an MSI B450 Tomahawk.
palanoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palanoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:55pm
i have an update. after swapping to a rx480, it seems the dpc_watchdog_violation bsod has gone. i could game for 2 hours straight.
the WHEA warnings remain, i'm guessing it's a BIOS/OS issue
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:05pm
Generally, with AMD and early adoption it's a pretty safe bet that issues stem from early AGESA revisions. This is particularly true when issues are present across a broad range of manufacturers. I long ago chose to see these issues as an adventure on the way to stability and killer price/performance value. Early adoption with Ryzen has never been for the feint of heart.

Maybe we should start a club

My advice; if you have upgraded to the 3000 series and still have your second or fist gen Ryzen CPU on hand, use the old CPU for a while and keep checking your board's product page for BIOS updates. Update and try the 3000 series chip again as and when new updates become available but be sure to check the forums here for any reported issues first, some updates early on can break more than they fix. If stability isn't crucial and you are up for the challenge of dealing with teething problems and bugs then by all means, stick with the new CPUs but bare in mind, you will have issues and many headaches on the way to a stable system. I find this experience an enjoyable one but I have multiple systems to use so I am not in a position where my main rig is out of commission for days or weeks on end.

Edited by Xaltar - 18 Jul 2019 at 2:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic