ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z390 Taichi won't post if memory in DDR4-A slots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi won't post if memory in DDR4-A slots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WittFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi won't post if memory in DDR4-A slots
    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 6:01am
I recently purchased a Z390 Taichi, Intel Core i5-9600K, and 2x16GB DDR4-3200 Ballistix Sport memory. That combination worked fine on the Taichi. I ended up exchanging that that board for another z390 Taichi due to a malfunctioning onboard HDMI. Unfortunately the second Taichi would not post if there was any memory in the DDR4-A1 or DDR4-A2 slots. Everything worked just fine with memory in the DDR4-B1 and/or DDR4-B2 slots but anytime I populated one of the DDR4-A slots the motherboard would power up and cycle through a bunch of post codes, eventually pausing on "4C" before recycling. It never reached the BIOS screen.

Thinking something was physically wrong with this second motherboard, I exchanged it for a third Z390 Taichi. Much to my surprise, I had the exact same issue with the third board. I upgraded the BIOS to 4.10 to see if that would help, but unfortunately it did not.

At this point I am stumped. Anybody have any thoughts on where I might start debugging this? Any suggestions are welcome. I am not looking forward to a fourth 100-mile round trip to the dealer to try to figure out what is wrong.
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 12:03pm
If you are using the same CPU on each board then I think you somehow got heat sink goop on or damaged the memory controller pins on the bottom of the cpu when you pulled it off the first board. Use 99% isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel to clean the cpu. Another interesting thing is that the first board had onboard video issues which could also be cpu related since the GPU is internal to the cpu.
What heat sink are you using ? (just curious)
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:11pm
What happens when the memory is installed in A2 and B2 ? That is where the manual states to put it.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

WittFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WittFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:25am
Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

If you are using the same CPU on each board then I think you somehow got heat sink goop on or damaged the memory controller pins on the bottom of the cpu when you pulled it off the first board. Use 99% isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel to clean the cpu. Another interesting thing is that the first board had onboard video issues which could also be cpu related since the GPU is internal to the cpu.
What heat sink are you using ? (just curious)

Good call! When I took out the CPU to clean it I grabbed a magnifying glass and took a close look at the CPU socket. It turns out there was a single pin bent the wrong way. Somehow I missed it on my initial inspection. That ended up being the culprit.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to make that suggestion, badbri. Without it I never would have found that bad pin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic