ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock_fan_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherboard choice
    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 5:59pm
Hello,

I am building a rig for music production wit the intent of altering live instruments with effects.

I have a Focusrite Clarett sound card with Thunderbolt, so Thunderbolt will be necessary on my motherboard.

I can see that the Taichi is an option, with an expansion card. I believe there is another similar MB with this support which I can't recall.

The boards with thunderbolt in built are the Phnatom Gaming TB3 and the yet to be released Creator board. And that crazy expensive one with liquid cooling.

I have the 3900x CPU.

I'd like to max out the RAM as much as I can. Am I at a disadvantage by opting for the smaller Phantom Gaming ITX board over a bigger one?

kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 7:33pm
that sound card is thunderbolt (1), to use it on tb3 u will need adapter
[url]https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213119829-Clarett-Windows-Thunderbolt-3-type-C-Adapter-support[/url]
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Asrock_fan_01 Asrock_fan_01 wrote:

Hello,

I am building a rig for music production wit the intent of altering live instruments with effects.

I have a Focusrite Clarett sound card with Thunderbolt, so Thunderbolt will be necessary on my motherboard.

I can see that the Taichi is an option, with an expansion card. I believe there is another similar MB with this support which I can't recall.

The boards with thunderbolt in built are the Phnatom Gaming TB3 and the yet to be released Creator board. And that crazy expensive one with liquid cooling.

I have the 3900x CPU.

I'd like to max out the RAM as much as I can. Am I at a disadvantage by opting for the smaller Phantom Gaming ITX board over a bigger one?

An ITX board will limit your RAM capacity, 2 DIMMs as opposed to 4. I would avoid ITX if RAM is a focus for your build, nice as a small system may be in a studio setup, it's not worth the trade off IMO.
Asrock_fan_01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock_fan_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:16pm
Thanka very much for your replies guys.

Regarding the RAM, is two sticks of 32Gb RAM going to be much slower than splitting it into 4 slots?
Asrock_fan_01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock_fan_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:17pm
Oh, I didn't realise. Thanks
Ryzentosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryzentosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
Hi,
I own the Focusrite Clarett 8pre Thunderbolt version and so far today I have had no luck getting it to work.
Loaded the latest Focusrite drivers and it doesn't see it.

See my other posts here today.

I'm using an Asrock X570 Pro4 Bios 1.30. With the Asrock Thunderbolt AIC Rev 1.0 card. It doesn't work. Seeking help now.

Hope that helps.

Ryzentosh
cheetahmen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheetahmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Asrock_fan_01 Asrock_fan_01 wrote:

Thanka very much for your replies guys.

Regarding the RAM, is two sticks of 32Gb RAM going to be much slower than splitting it into 4 slots?

If they have same frequency, two of 16Gb rams are better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic