ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Pro4 and dual channel upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virutas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Pro4 and dual channel upgrade
    Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:33pm
Hello,

I need to upgrade RAM on my Z97 Pro4 for labs with virtualization. Now, I've 8GB (2x4GB modules, GSkill Sniper P/N F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR). My plan is to install 2 more modules, same speed, CL and brand, but different size, 2x8GB (GSkill Sniper P/N F3-1866C9D-16GSR). At the need, I want 24GB of RMA in Dual Channel.

Will I lose Dual Channel properties with that configuration?

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:48am
It may, yet most likely will not work with 4GB _and_ 8GB sticks installed. SPD matched or otherwise.

Your best be is to save for 4x8GB, matched kit.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:19am
According to intel only Xeons support dual channel of mixed capacity RAM but I have seen it work on numerous systems, none that I have assembled mind you as I always use matched kits. I have had a number of prebuilts come through my workshop with mixed RAM with Dual Channel active. 

If you have the budget then obviously go with a 4x8gb kit or 2 identical 2x8gb kits. If not you can give the mixed config a shot and upgrade the 2x4gb kit later.

Edited by Xaltar - 13 Nov 2015 at 6:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic