ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X570 Steel Legend, SB gets to 85-87C under load
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Steel Legend, SB gets to 85-87C under load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Steel Legend, SB gets to 85-87C under load
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:08am
Worried about my new upgrades. Running a 3700X, 16 GB 3600 MHZ CL18, GTX 980 Ti and the X570 Steel Legend. I've put the GPU in top slot as the computer won't post with it in the second(which is also only 4x). I have removed the shroud from the GPU so there are a few mm between the GPU and the chipset fan. It's in a well ventilated Corsair 600T with ample airflow and proper cable management.

My issue is in an about 24-25C room, writing this very post, the SB temp is hitting about 72C. Earlier today I did various stress tests(OCCT CPU and GPU) and got it up to around 85C. Playing Division 2, HWINFO reported it maxing at 86.8C.

This cannot be intentional? I saw a youtube video stating ASROCK says the thermal limit is 105C, can anyone confirm that?
Furthermore, the chipset headsink is hot to the touch. I worry that my M2 drive(Intel SSD 600p 1TB) will take damage as operating temperatures state 0-70C. I thinking to pull it out and use my PCIE extension card, though that seems pretty silly when you have M2 slot readily available.

Can I expect this to improve with future updates to BIOS/Chipset? Any tips on how to improve this? Should I just accept it as normal?
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:34pm
Have you checked what your chipset fan is set at?

My x570 Taichi chipset fans default setting is performance and it runs 4500rpm and the temp stays around 60c.. I'm using a Phanteks Enthoo Pro-m with two 140mm noctua fans at the front intake and another 140mm noctua exhaust and a 1080ti sitting right over the chipset fans intake.

I think Asrock should have thought about the chipset fan placement a little more..
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
It's also running performance. Just turning the computer on, the SB is about 60C, with the fan running at 2500rpm. When I'm hitting around 85, I think it was around 4500-4600rpm.
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
Updated to new BIOS 1.70. No change in anything. Just sitting in the BIOS, it creeps up to around 80C and stays there. The fan is running at 4200rpm. Removing the side panel doesn't do anything.
ravdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:03am
I think the motherboard is rated for up to 125C

I'm Running a 3700X, 16GB 3200MHz (OC to 3600MHz CL16), RTX 2070 in a Phanteks P400S case.
My X570 Steel Legend's SB maxes at 77C. But I don't use any M.2 drive, though. Just regular SATA SSD.
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:09pm
Which power option are you using? With Ryzen Balanced, if I just leave the computer idle, it will eventually creep up to around 75C. 90 minutes of rocket league, and it was at 88C.

What is weird though, is both my GPU and my M2 drive, should be directly wired to the CPU, as I'm using the top PCIe slot and the "hyper" M2 slot. So essentially only thing the Southbridge should be handling is 3 SATA drives and a few USB devices (mouse, keyboard, sound).

Do you have a source on 125C though? Because if it is that high, I'll just have to set a constant semi-high fan speed that doesn't whine, and then I can live with it.
ravdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
I'm using the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. It reached 77C when playing Anthem.
On light web browsing or watching 4K Youtube it's usually at around 65C and at low 60s when idle. I use a custom fan profile on the SB_FAN settings.

I forgot where i read about the 125C temp, maybe it's on r/AMD reddit.
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 5:21pm
If you touch chipset heatsink(the one covering the M2 slots), it is also pretty hot? As in, more than say 5-10 seconds and it starts hurting? Was wondering whether the heatsink on the chipset itself is incorrectly mounted... will check when I get home again.
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:02pm

So it turns out it definitely is the GPU heating it up.

My graphics card: https://imgur.com/JwLD15P

It has a copper plate connected to the VRMs that gets pretty damn hot. I don't know if it straight up touches the heatsink, but it is max 1-2mm from it if not. It lines perfectly up with the fan, so that the fan takes in hot air all the time. Moving the graphics card to the 2nd slot helps quite a bit with the temps. 20 minute burn in test(OCCT) resulted in about 84C, which is okay I guess. On the second PCIE slot, the copper plate does sit straight on top of the thermal pad, that goes down to where the chip is.

Writing this post, it goes down to about 70C again after having been at 84C, which matches how hot the heat sink is to touch.

My problem is of course, the 2nd PCIE slot is only 4 lanes, so it does affect my performance quiet a bit. Division 2 bench on ultra @ 1080p, it goes down from 63-64 to 52. If asrock would just reply to my support request so I could know exactly where the limit is, I would feel better about moving it back to the top slot. Was thinking to get a new graphics card within 6-12 months, will need to check out where all the piping is.

Goddamn brilliant design on this motherboard...

Also, I did take apart the chipset heatsink and saw it was correctly mounted. It uses a small thermal pad to transfer the heat to the heatsink with the fan on it, which in turn have a thermal pad up to the upper part. Seems to work okay. The reported temperature definitely matches how hot the heatsink is.
jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:46am
I've placed a fan next to my SB sink.
Temps are stable at 52c in idle, 54c watching youtube content and playing light games.
If I stress it it will go max to 60c.

Before I placed the fan next to (12 cm away cuz GPU is in the way) the sink where my SSD m.2's are, the temps were 80 to 85c ++++
I recommended all to do this, what I did.
85c to 52c approximately is a huge decrease.
Also the fan is silent, so I don't mind.

As a plus point, this fan also helps the airflow from front to back in the case so my mainboard temps on the Asrock steel legend x570 is usually at 30 a 33c. Stressed or not.

This way the board and pc lives a lot longer.

Watch the link. Its a save picture share link. Don't worry:
https://gyazo.com/d638cc8ad78f95c2e127160e37b9ba06
Always be polite!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic