ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsungg 950 Boot drive on x99x killer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pallinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samsungg 950 Boot drive on x99x killer
    Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 6:42pm
Want to use my new samsung 950 pro NVME drive as the windows boot (c) drivein the m2 ultra slot on my fatal1ty x99x/3.1. Need to clean  install windows 10 pro on it. when I tried this with just the M@ drive the boot sequence hangs and boot doctor give A2 message asking me to connect SATA drives. UFEI has the m2 listed as the boot drive. So I am unable to get the system to boot up without the SATA drives attached. My concern is that if I do that windows install may wipe the data on the SATA drives
Also not sure if the Board supports NVME M2 cards

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 11:45am
You need to do the following to use your 950 Pro as an OS drive.

Find the CSM option at the bottom of the Boot screen. Click on it to get access to the sub-options.

CSM is Enabled by default. Find the Launch UEFI Storage OpROM Policy option, and set it to UEFI Only. You won't get the A2 POST code anymore when you try to run the Windows 10 installation from whatever media you are using.

You will need to maintain that setting in order to continue booting from the 950 Pro.

The latest 1.90 UEFI version adds additional NVMe support, I would suggest updating to that version.

When installing Win 10, don't worry about the 950 Pro not being shown in the Boot order list. Just have your Win 10 installation media as first in the boot order.

Once Win 10 is installed, the boot entry for the 950 Pro will be, "Windows Boot Manager". You most likely will not see the 950 Pro listed in the Storage Configuration screen, since it is not a SATA drive. It will be shown by the System Browser tool in the UEFI.

Otherwise, it will be recognized by Win 10 fine.
pallinson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pallinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:45pm
I am using the fatal1ty x99x killer/ 3.1 board the only bios available for download is version 1.0 (initial release)  the 1.90 is for the x99x killer board not the 3.1 version. should I down load and use that one?
pallinson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pallinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You need to do the following to use your 950 Pro as an OS drive.

Find the CSM option at the bottom of the Boot screen. Click on it to get access to the sub-options.

CSM is Enabled by default. Find the Launch UEFI Storage OpROM Policy option, and set it to UEFI Only. You won't get the A2 POST code anymore when you try to run the Windows 10 installation from whatever media you are using.

You will need to maintain that setting in order to continue booting from the 950 Pro.

The latest 1.90 UEFI version adds additional NVMe support, I would suggest updating to that version.

When installing Win 10, don't worry about the 950 Pro not being shown in the Boot order list. Just have your Win 10 installation media as first in the boot order.

Once Win 10 is installed, the boot entry for the 950 Pro will be, "Windows Boot Manager". You most likely will not see the 950 Pro listed in the Storage Configuration screen, since it is not a SATA drive. It will be shown by the System Browser tool in the UEFI.

Otherwise, it will be recognized by Win 10 fine.

The version 1.0 bios for my killer 3.1 board does not have the "CSM" optyion at the bottom of the boot screen so I am unable to follow the rest of the instructions. The 1.90 bios update is for the previous version board and my bios is a month newer that that one.
PainterArt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PainterArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:53am
I just posted "Moving your Win 7 install to your Samsung 950 Pro NMVe RAID" under Intel Motherboards. It will help you out.
pyrogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:20am
@pallinson: did you try PainterArts sollution?
I like to buy the same board and use the 950 pro as a boot device as well. I don't wanna waste money on a potentially unsupported board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic