ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC crashing when trying to use RAM at 3200MHz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaggyhairjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC crashing when trying to use RAM at 3200MHz
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:10pm
Just built this PC a week ago. X570 Steel Legend, AMD 3600, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro. Realized that my Corsair Vengeance 3200 was only putting out 2133 hz according to userbenchmark. However, whenever I change it in the bios to XMP profile and change the speed the 3200 MHz, it has major issues. I try playing CIV VI, and the game will come to a halt 2 turns in, as well as lock up my PC where I can?™t even force quit it. I have to restart it every time. When I leave it idle or just use chrome, it eventually comes to a stop and I have to force restart again. When I turn xmp profile off and revert the speeds, it runs fine. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I?™ve also already tried just editing the speed and not enabling the XMP and I get the same results. If I only enable XMP it doesn?™t change the speed at all.
PC_Arcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PC_Arcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:21pm
Sounds like either your RAM is faulty and not recognising the XMP or it's not 3200 RAM - what's the model on the sticks themselves?
Shaggyhairjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaggyhairjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:32pm
CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:57am
RAM should be installed in slots A2 and B2, if you only have 2 modules and install in A1 and B1 you often run into issues with XMP not working correctly.

If that isn't your issue then try set XMP then manually set the frequency to say 2666 and test for stability. If that is stable then bump it up some more and test again until you find the highest frequency that is stable for you.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:06pm
userbenchmark has intel 9400F ranked #1 processor & ryzen 3600 #2 please stop using this

i'd try to identify what IC's are the ram with thaiphoon burner

and then use "DRAM Calculator for Ryzen" to give you ram timings and manually set them instead of relying on XMP

btw which motherboard and bios
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Shaggyhairjay Shaggyhairjay wrote:

Just built this PC a week ago. X570 Steel Legend, AMD 3600, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro. Realized that my Corsair Vengeance 3200 was only putting out 2133 hz according to userbenchmark. However, whenever I change it in the bios to XMP profile and change the speed the 3200 MHz, it has major issues. I try playing CIV VI, and the game will come to a halt 2 turns in, as well as lock up my PC where I can?�t even force quit it. I have to restart it every time. When I leave it idle or just use chrome, it eventually comes to a stop and I have to force restart again. When I turn xmp profile off and revert the speeds, it runs fine. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I?�ve also already tried just editing the speed and not enabling the XMP and I get the same results. If I only enable XMP it doesn?�t change the speed at all.

Try powering off your pc, either flip the switch on the power supply or pull the cord from the power supply after its powered down..clear the cmos, power back up and get to the bios, then select the xmp profile.. then save and exit... try that.. if that doesnt seem to help any try bumping the dram voltage to 1.362 and see if that helps.. sometimes memory needs a little more voltage to stabilize it, a lot of factors contribute to that.. 1.362v will not hurt anything..
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

userbenchmark has intel 9400F ranked #1 processor & ryzen 3600 #2 please stop using this

and then use "DRAM Calculator for Ryzen" to give you ram timings and manually set them instead of relying on XMP

btw which motherboard and bios

I've tried that ryzen dram calculator on 4 different sets of ram, 3000mhz cl15 e-die, two different pairs of 3200mhz cl 14 and cl16 e-die and 3600 cl16 b-die and not one worked with the timings that calculator gave me..
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

I ended up just using the xmp profile, set it to 3733mhz, set the fclk manually and increased the dram voltage to 1.362..
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Shaggyhairjay Shaggyhairjay wrote:

Just built this PC a week ago. X570 Steel Legend, AMD 3600, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro. Realized that my Corsair Vengeance 3200 was only putting out 2133 hz according to userbenchmark. However, whenever I change it in the bios to XMP profile and change the speed the 3200 MHz, it has major issues. I try playing CIV VI, and the game will come to a halt 2 turns in, as well as lock up my PC where I can?�t even force quit it. I have to restart it every time. When I leave it idle or just use chrome, it eventually comes to a stop and I have to force restart again. When I turn xmp profile off and revert the speeds, it runs fine. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I?�ve also already tried just editing the speed and not enabling the XMP and I get the same results. If I only enable XMP it doesn?�t change the speed at all.

I forgot one step in my above comment, you have to enable the xmp profile and also select your dram frequency, so you would select xmp profile 1 and then select 3200mhz in the dram frequency drop down menu. The memory you have should be b-die according to corsair but dont quote me on that..
MarkJohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:50pm
I have this issue as well. The XMP profile crashes constantly. I tried setting in manually, but the BIOS P4.60 and P4.90 won't let me set ram voltages past 1.300. No matter what I type above 1.300, it drops back to 1.300v

I'll have to double check the manually setting DDR-3200 with XMP profile enabled.
Intel i9-9900KF
ASRock Fatality B360 Gaming K4
16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666 Mhz
Evga GTX 1650 4GB
Corsair 850 Watt RM850 PSU
Cooler Master MasterBox NR600P
512GB Micron 2300 NVMe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic