ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downgrading BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downgrading BIOS
    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 10:29am
Hi all,
A few weeks ago I updated the BIOS on my ASRock B450 ITX MB from 1.30 to 3.50 via the flash utility in order to run my new Ryzen 3600. The update installed successfully and the computer ran reasonably well, apart from a pretty slow boot time and Fast Boot not working properly. However it has now developed a problem of losing the BIOS settings every couple of days and then when I was looking on the BIOS update page for new updates I noticed that it says "If the current BIOS version is older than P1.70, please update BIOS to P1.70", which I did not see the first time. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20B450%20Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#BIOS
( I really think the layout of the descriptions is very poor by ASRock and is partly to blame for this)

Anyway, I have been looking into downgrading the BIOS to 1.70 and then updating back up to 3.50 again in order to fix the problems I've been having.

My first question is, Is this missed update what is likely causing my problems, and would downgrading to 1.70 and then updating to 3.50 be the solution?

My second question is, Why do ASRock MBs require a transitional update like this at all? No other MB I've owned has ever had this requirement. Surely new BIOS updates are entirely self-contained and they completely write over the old BIOS, so why would they need a transitional update? It kind of suggests that each BIOS version is not entirely self contained and downgrading might not be actually work on ASRock boards. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic