ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 28>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Aristoc Aristoc wrote:

Hi there,

I have 
Plextor PX-512M8PeG M8P Series 2.5" 512GB PCIE NVME M.2 Radiator Gen3x4 Internal SSD, Red-in-Black

its listed as supported on the asrock MOBO storage support list. 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer/?cat=Storage

It sounds like it's best to install windows 10 from a bootable USB. After that migrate or maybe better to  re-install other programs from HDD to  M.2  since i have a 7+ year old HDD. 

Or if I decide I just want to leave my programs on my original HDD as my programs/storage drive , do I have to erase the Win 10 OS from my HDD?

Thanks

You could run your programs from your old HDD if they weren't installed on it, and appear in the Programs and Features list. But one of the advantages of using any type of SSD is that the SSD will be so much faster loading programs, it is a shame to waste it.

How would you "migrate" your programs on the HDD to another drive? It's always necessary to install programs on the OS drive, unless the programs can be run simply from the downloaded file. If the programs are "installed" with an installation program, they are on the OS drive, and while you may be able to create links to those programs on the old HDD, that again defeats the purpose of using an SSD.

One situation with having multiple drives with OS installations on them in one PC is keeping the boot order correct. Windows may detect both of them and ask you to choose which one to boot from every time you start or restart the PC.

When you install Windows on your new SSD, be sure that the HDD is not connected to the board at the same time. Just removing the power cable from the HDD is enough. Otherwise the Window installation program will normally put the boot/system partition on the other drive, which makes the PC dependent on both drives. You can fix this later, but why not do it right in the first place?

The main reason to use a USB flash drive installation media is because when using an NVMe SSD, you must select the entry in the boot order for the installation media with the prefix "UEFI:". Without going into the technical details, it is necessary. It is not a given that an optical disk will provide an entry in the boot order with the "UEFI:" prefix. A USB flash drive with a Windows ISO image on it will always provide that entry in the boot order.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:45am

at what point in the process as described on page 1 do you install your PCIe SSD manfacturer driver? before or after installing Win 10?

thanks

Windows 10 has an inbox, built in NVMe driver, that will be used during the installation, so it is not required to install a manufacture's NVMe driver. The NVMe driver also must be in the appropriate format to be used during a Windows installation, if you were to install it at that time.

Your Plextor PX-512M8PeG does not seem to have its own NVMe driver. I can't find one on the download page for your SSD. It must just use the Windows 10 NVMe driver.

http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/M8Pe(G)#/Features
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 3:34am
as I'm about to begin, my board X99m killer, has the 1.90 BIOS. Should I first upgrade to the latest 3.0 before installing the OS?

thanks for the info. 

Edited by Aristoc - 08 Nov 2016 at 3:46am
wheelife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:53am
I have an Extreme7+ motherboard and dual M2 ssd samsung950 512gb in raid. Im unable to install Win 10.
When I go to the boot menu it shows the UEFI install usb but wont proceed and kicks me back to the UEFI or says the usb has no operating system. I have followed all instructions in the first post.

Help!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:25am

as I'm about to begin, my board X99m killer, has the 1.90 BIOS. Should I first upgrade to the latest 3.0 before installing the OS?

thanks for the info.

No, no need to update to the 3.00 UEFI version first.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:28am
Originally posted by wheelife wheelife wrote:

I have an Extreme7+ motherboard and dual M2 ssd samsung950 512gb in raid. Im unable to install Win 10.
When I go to the boot menu it shows the UEFI install usb but wont proceed and kicks me back to the UEFI or says the usb has no operating system. I have followed all instructions in the first post.

Help!

Something seems wrong with your Windows 10 installation USB flash drive media, obviously.

What is model and the capacity of the USB flash drive? Are you connecting it to a USB port on the board's IO panel?

How did you create the USB installation flash drive?
wheelife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:34am
Scandisk 16gb
yes rear io usb 3.0
windows ISO created from \microsoft download website for media creation tool
wheelife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:39am
Scandisk 16gb
yes rear io usb 3.0
windows ISO created from \microsoft download website for media creation tool

Also tried with different USB, problem s the same
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 2:57am

thanks for the info. 

YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:13am
32 gb installed.   4 sticks   8mb each. 

only 24 total recognzied

DDR4_B1   NONE

addendum: FIXED IT

Went into DRAM Configuration in the UEFI and changed AUTO XMP  to XMP 2.0  Profile 1. (for 2400)
There is also a 2666 Profile there. 

will update how everything went.

Smile

Edited by Aristoc - 21 Nov 2016 at 3:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 28>
  Share Topic