ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 28>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
igitterdun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igitterdun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:21pm
the windows 8 was like the win7 install.. i had to load the drivers for NVMe  but upon restart after installation, win8 loaded up fine and had no issues.  I"m not sure at this point that it's a UEFI/EFI issue.  when Win7 gets installed and it does it's restart to boot up into win7, the pc see's the 750 SSD and starts to load Win7.  Gets almost to the sign on and BSOD's.  Upon restart you can F8 and choose SAFEMODE to see where it fails and it is stopping at disk.sys.. it appears to load the NV drivers from what i can tell, but disk.sys is killing it.  Install goes fine.. it's just booting into win7 afterwards.  Thanks for your help.
Gittner
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by igitterdun igitterdun wrote:

I was able to get Windows 7 x64  SP1 installed on a Intel 750 series 400 gb SSD drive and on a Asus x99 MB by injecting the driver during the install of windows and then it saw the drive. (NVMe x64 driver).  However, when it reboots after install, it starts to load windows and i see the windows logo then it BSOD.  it then comes up and allows me to try safe mode, which i do and it stops at the disk.sys driver and then blue screens.  Any suggestions?  been working on this all day.  Thanks.

Originally posted by igitterdun igitterdun wrote:

also.. i don't have a key for Win 8, but i was able to get Win 8 to install after i loaded the drivers during installation and it was able to restart and boot up fine.. I know that this is a Win 7 issue.. just hoping someone could help me get this working.  Thanks.

Windows 8 should have a built in NVMe driver, so not sure if loading the an NVMe driver actually helped or not. What NVMe driver did you install?

Did you try to install that NVMe driver during the Windows 7 installation? I don't know why simply installing the NVMe driver during a Win 7 installation is not enough, except for the following.

NVMe SSDs normally require a UEFI booting Windows installation. Among other things, that means Windows uses the EFI boot loader instead of the Legacy boot loader. The Windows 7 installation files have a bug in the location of the EFI boot loader files, so the installation program cannot find them. That can be fixed but takes work. That is explained in the guide below. I CANNOT be 100% certain that fixing that in your Windows 7 installation media will fix your issue:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

I assume you are installing from a Windows ISO on a USB flash drive. Are you selecting the entry in the boot order for the installation media that is, "UEFI: <installation media>"? That may have been the default or by chance first one in the boot order for Windows 8, but for Windows 7, I would be sure to check and select it. The fix for the EFI boot loader file location in Windows 7 cannot be ignored. I've had success and failures performing that fix. Which is why I abandon Windows 7 with NVMe SSDs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igitterdun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:12am
also.. i don't have a key for Win 8, but i was able to get Win 8 to install after i loaded the drivers during installation and it was able to restart and boot up fine.. I know that this is a Win 7 issue.. just hoping someone could help me get this working.  Thanks.
Gittner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igitterdun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:05am
I was able to get Windows 7 x64  SP1 installed on a Intel 750 series 400 gb SSD drive and on a Asus x99 MB by injecting the driver during the install of windows and then it saw the drive. (NVMe x64 driver).  However, when it reboots after install, it starts to load windows and i see the windows logo then it BSOD.  it then comes up and allows me to try safe mode, which i do and it stops at the disk.sys driver and then blue screens.  Any suggestions?  been working on this all day.  Thanks.
Gittner
sauria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:35am
Thanks Parsec, it is nice to get it working.   The read speeds on the squid set up are quite incredible - nearly 12GB/sec.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:28am
I'm glad to hear the earlier UEFI version seems to not have the issue you had. But I don't have an absolute explanation about why it does not cause the problem.

The Broadwell-E compatible UEFI version normally just adds the processor-specific microcode to the UEFI file. That should be independent of the NVMe support for booting an OS from an NVMe SSD.

The 3.10 UEFI contains an update to the NTFS module, which is related to the Windows NTFS file system. That possibly could be causing the startup issue you were having, but that is just a guess.

Another possibility is since your four PM961 SSDs are connected to the processor's PCIe 3.0 lanes, and if the Broadwell-E microcode changed something to do with the PCIe 3.0 lanes, at the communication level for example, then that might have an effect on the Squid card. That card seems to have a PCIe lane switching chip, which may have been affected. Again, just a guess.
sauria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:00am
I just downgraded the bios to version P2.0.   It seems that the problem is gone.   I wonder if using the latest BIOS is the problem with this set up? I do not have a Broadwell E.

Edited by sauria - 25 Jul 2017 at 9:01am
sauria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 9:48am
Thank you, I'm trying a few things.   A Seagate USB 3 external drive does show up in the boot order.

Edited by sauria - 25 Jul 2017 at 8:56am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 8:53am
Originally posted by sauria sauria wrote:

Thank you for your helpful post.   I am using P3.10 and I have 4 Samsung PM961 drives in a raid zero created under windows disk management.
Samsung NVME drivers on the 950 Pro and PM 961s.
No fast boot and I don't see windows boot manager in the boot order but the 950 pro is first listed as N1-Samsung 950 Pro.
On a coldstart it does post most of the time and then the windows logo briefly displays and then the monitor goes into power saving mode with the computer running.   Pushing the hard reset button allows the PC to boot and then windows loads and lets me login.
Dr. Debug says A6 on failure.

The A6 POST code is related to an error or problem while checking the drives/storage volumes connected to the board, but does not tell us anything specific that would help.

Since you said the Windows logo is shown, and then you get nothing on the monitor, that should mean that POST completed successfully, and the A6 code is just the last one shown on the Dr Debug display, and just was not erased, and is not related to your problem.

Strange you have N1-Samsung 950 Pro as an entry in the boot order, instead of Windows Boot Manager. Windows Boot Manager is the entry I always have for the Windows/OS drive with a UEFI booting installation, even on boards older than an X99 (not that it is old, I have one too.)

Do you have any other entries in the boot order, even if they are really not bootable drives?

Problems that only occur occasionally are the most difficult to diagnose. You could check the Windows Event log for any entries that were posted because of the problem.
sauria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 3:26am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by sauria sauria wrote:

[URL=][/URL] I have an ASRock X99 OC Formula Board.

It
has a Samsung 950 Pro boot drive and the latest firmware and Win 10 Pro
64.? Since installation of the nvme drive (I have an older XP-941 M.2 AHCI in the Gen 2 M.2 slot) the PC will not boot from a cold start but
will restart fine.? I used the BIOS setting in method 1 of this helpful thread.? There is also a PCI-e Amfleltec Squid card in slot 3 with a RAID 0 M.2 array.? Would that cause boot issues on NVME?

Help is appreciated.

I have no experience with the Amfleltec Squid card.

Which UEFI version are you using with your X99 OC Formula board?

Which M.2 SSDs are you using in the Squid card? What NVMe driver do you use with the NVMe SSDs in the Squid card? What do you use for creating the RAID 0 array with the SSDs on the Squid card? I assume it must be a Windows software RAID 0.

In Device Manager, the Storage controllers entry, do you see an entry for an NVMe storage controller for all of the NVMe SSDs you are using? The XP941 is not included, since it is AHCI.

Do you use the Ultra Fast boot setting of the Fast Boot option?

Did you install Windows 10 on the 950 Pro with any other drives powered up and running at the same time?

Did you check the Boot Order in the UEFI? The entry for the single 950 Pro with Windows 10 should be "Windows Boot Manager" and should be first in the boot order.

What happens or is displayed on the monitor when you do a cold start of the PC? Did you see what is shown on the Dr Debug display when a cold start fails?

Thank you for your helpful post.   I am using P3.10 and I have 4 Samsung PM961 drives in a raid zero created under windows disk management.
Samsung NVME drivers on the 950 Pro and PM 961s.
No fast boot and I don't see windows boot manager in the boot order but the 950 pro is first listed as N1-Samsung 950 Pro.
On a coldstart it does post most of the time and then the windows logo briefly displays and then the monitor goes into power saving mode with the computer running.   Pushing the hard reset button allows the PC to boot and then windows loads and lets me login.
Dr. Debug says A6 on failure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 28>
  Share Topic