ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrcoluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:35pm
Curiosity got the better of me.

I got a NVME as it was only a bit more than a SATA so tried it.

I didnt need to enable UEFI oprom, I only needed to make sure its booted in UEFI mode, and UEFI mode doesnt require UEFI oprom to be forced. So I can still use MBR usb sticks.

So the only requirement is that any OS that needs to access the m.2 NVME device has to be booted in UEFI mode. It doesnt require "uefi only" oprom.

With microsoft's nvme driver apparently broken (No FUA support?) I couldnt get a working nvme RST driver because intel seemingly have abandoned win 8.1 completely. So I am using samsung's nvme driver.

It bench's extremely fast but real speed is currently slower, slower boot, slower shutdown, slower system tray load up after login.
MarthaMTemple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarthaMTemple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:55pm
hello freinds, thanks for the [URL=https://classicreload.com/node/6292]screen[/URL]
pr0cesor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pr0cesor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 8:00pm
Hi there,

I was reading through the Original Post about installing the Nvme driver provided by the manufacturer. I was wondering how can we install the Nvme driver before installing windows 10 on M.2 PCIe ? Thank you
scottsen11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsen11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:03pm
PCIe SSD's are solid state drives which do not use the Motherboards SATA Chipset interface to communicate between the SSD and the Windows File system.

They have their own storage controller built into the SSD, which should not be confused with the standard SSD controller chip that all SSDs use. The storage controller in PCIe SSDs uses a driver that is either provided by the manufacturer or by the OS itself. It has to be installed by the SSD user.

PCIe SSDs are not SATA drives, though some may share one or more aspect with SATA drives.

There are a number of ways you can connect a PCIe SSD to your Motherboard:

A Standard PCIe slot. (One that is at least x4)
An M.2 slot.
pr0cesor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pr0cesor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 5:00pm
I installed win10 successfully on my PCIe SSD. I didn;'t have to turn CSM off, it detected the drive immediately with the full name in UEFI.

The only thing I had to do is to flash the Bios version 2.90P from ASrock website and that's it.
Shazalishaukhi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shazalishaukhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:00pm
Guys I need some help. Im using an asrock a320m-hdv r4.0 with a 512gb intel 660p nvme ssd and I cannot boot from the ssd. I Was able to install windows 10 on it but everytime the installation would finish it would bring me to the USB boot media not the normal windows 10. So everytime I tried to boot using the Nvme in the bios all I would get was "reboot and select proper device". I've been trying to fix this for so long and I am going insane.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsen11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 1:24am
i hope you liked and [url=https://droidmoda.com/shareit-apk-2]shareit apk[/url] my answer. i expect it was useful enough!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsen11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 1:25am
Originally posted by scottsen11 scottsen11 wrote:

PCIe SSD's are solid state drives which do not use the Motherboards SATA Chipset interface to communicate between the SSD and the Windows File system.

They have their own storage controller built into the SSD, which should not be confused with the standard SSD [url=https://droidmoda.com/shareit-apk-2]shareit apk[/url] controller chip that all SSDs use. The storage controller in PCIe SSDs uses a driver that is either provided by the manufacturer or by the OS itself. It has to be installed by the SSD user.

PCIe SSDs are not SATA drives, though some may share one or more aspect with SATA drives.

There are a number of ways you can connect a PCIe SSD to your Motherboard:

A Standard PCIe slot. (One that is at least x4)
An M.2 slot.
WoodPusher58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoodPusher58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:51pm
I can't get my computer to boot from PCI M.2 SSD:

Mainboard:     AsRock H67M-GE
UEFI Version: P2.10
SSD:           Corsair Force Series MP510 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD (240GB)
Adapter:       PCIE to M.2 Adapter (EZDIY-FAB M2 20190424)

The M.2 SSD is mounted on the adapter and the adapter is in the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.
Running Windows 10 Installation CD, it identifies the M.2 SSD and I'm able to install windows on it. The Bios though does not recognize the M.2 SSD as a boot device. In fact it does not recongnize it at all. When I boot from the standard HDD, Windows recognizes the M.2 SSD and I can use it as a hard drive.
The sequential read/write speed is about 1500MB/s / 1000MB/s so just 50% slower than its max speed.

Uploaded the latest BIOS version (from 2012 !?) and tried all relevant settings. Nothing works.
The CSM (Compatibility Support Module.) option/button -as mentioned above- is not in the UEFI setup utility.

Am I missing something or is this board simply not capable of booting from a PCI M.2 SSD?
If so, why can Windows use it as a hard drive?

Thanks in advance for inputs.

boot
Cpagrave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cpagrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:15pm
Hi
My Z97M-pro4 motherboard has no M2 socket, but with a M2-PCIe adapter board plugged into the PCIE2 socket, can windows 10 boot on it?
If I understand correctly, the SSD will work in PCIe 2.0x4 with a limit of 2GB/s and PCIE1 with the graphics card will remain in 16x?
Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
  Share Topic