ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egoshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm
I do not think the 950 is overheating. I have also done the tests quickly after starting the computer, and that had no effect on the numbers.

There is a limit to which I will go to get this to work properly, I am more likely to send it back and exchange it for another 950, as I believe this one may be defective.

Yes, the temperature swing was during the benchmark test. I will try it again just to confirm.

The SATA port in question is empty.

Here are the Crystal results:

Thanks for all your help with this!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:37pm
If the temperatures you showed us were during the Samsung benchmark test, then you do NOT have an over heating problem. You are lucky that you don't, given your 950 Pro is covered by your video card. Many 950 Pro users have the over heating problem with that configuration.

Your CrystalDiskMark test result is 100% normal. This is my 256GB 950 Pro:

The 256GB version is not quite as fast as the 512GB model in the sequential read and write speeds. I also have all the CPU power saving options disabled during the test, which will cause slightly better results.

Given your Crystal results, your 950 Pro seems fine. I see nothing wrong, the results are right on or very close to the specifications. If the basis for you returning your 950 is the Samsung test result, I would think twice.

I never use the Samsung benchmark test. It's known to have bugs in the Random Read test that does not allow the 950 Pro to show its full capability. Plus I'm reluctant to trust a test created by the manufacture of the product being tested. I don't know why your Samsung test result is strange, but really only in the Sequential read speed test. You can see in your Crystal result, it is fine.

Yet another benchmark you can try is AS SSD:

http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9

(The forum hyper link tool is not working for some reason, the URL above is correct.) Scroll to the bottom of that page to find the download link.

AS SSD is in some ways more difficult then other benchmark tests. The file sizes it uses for the Sequential speed tests result in somewhat lower read speed results. Otherwise you can see the true IOPs results. For example:

If you try AS SSD, and your results are fine, IMO nothing is wrong with your 950 Pro, or its configuration.

egoshman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egoshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 3:20am
OK judging by these numbers, things appear fine.

Thanks again for your help.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:02am
I hope you are keeping you 950 Pro, because it is fine.

If you thought about asking Samsung about your odd results with their benchmark, you can try but from past experience, you won't get much of an answer.

If you check, you'll find they finally have a support forum, if you could call it that. Just took a peak at it, since it must be fairly new. I clicked on the first 950 Pro topic I found, this is it, from the Samsung Memory and Storage Community:

Can Samsung 950 Pro (m.2) install on pcie?

Sadly I don't have any information on Solid state drives, but I'm sure someone in the community may be able to offer their input. You are also welcome to reach out to our Memory department at support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7. This department is open M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Apologies I can't help further.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/Samsung-950-Pro/td-p/11486

Wow! That's one way to avoid any responsibility. All questions about SSDs are referred to their 800 number.

This is an improvement over what they've done in the past. On the Samsung product info pages, in the past owners could post reviews. I added one about a SATA SSD, and I said 95% good things, with one less than perfect comment. Samsung screened all reviews before posting them. I received a message from them stating my review did not meet their standards, and was not posted. I hate censorship.

Can you imagine this scenario:

Hi ASRock forum, I have a question about my mother board, it... Thanks.

Me: Sadly, I don't have any information on mother boards. I'm so very sorry, hopefully you'll get some help from someone else that is not affiliated with the manufacture of your product in any way.

Shocked

finnguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:29am
All this PCIe m.2 SSD stuff gets somewhat confusing :)

I'm looking at LGA1151 ASRock B150M Pro4S and Samsung PM961 (with adapter) as only drive.
For bootable Windows OS.
Is this good idea?
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 10:13pm
windows 10
X99M killer
Noctua NH-U12S
Plextor M8Pe 512 GB  M.2  PCIe 3  X4
Kingston HyperX DDR4 3000  P/N hx430c15pbk4/32
EVGA GTX 1070

I am only using 300GB on my HDD. Using the method in the original post, can I just clone my HDD to my new M.2 Plextor 512GB for OS and for all programs?

Thanks 

Edited by Aristoc - 31 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 12:15am
Originally posted by finnguy finnguy wrote:

All this PCIe m.2 SSD stuff gets somewhat confusing :)

I'm looking at LGA1151 ASRock B150M Pro4S and Samsung PM961 (with adapter) as only drive.
For bootable Windows OS.

Is this good idea?

The ASRock B150M Pro4S supports NVMe SSDs like the PM961 as the Windows drive.

What version of Windows will you be using? If you will be using Windows 10 or 8.1, you will not need to install an NVMe driver during the installation. If you are using Windows 7 or 8, you will need to install an NVMe driver during the Windows installation.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Aristoc Aristoc wrote:

windows 10
X99M killer
Noctua NH-U12S
EVGA GTX 1070

I am only using 300GB on my HDD. Using the method in the original post, can I just clone my HDD to my new M.2 Plextor 512GB for OS and for all programs?

Thanks 

You'll need to give us the full model number of you Plextor M.2 SSD. Plextor has more than one model of M.2 SSD, and they are different in their requirements, etc.

Cloning will probably not work. Your HDD is probably not formatted as GPT, which is need if you are using an NVMe SSD. Also, the cloning software being used must support cloning to an NVMe drive, and we have no idea what you will be using.
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 1:29am
Hi there,

I have 
Plextor PX-512M8PeG M8P Series 2.5" 512GB PCIE NVME M.2 Radiator Gen3x4 Internal SSD, Red-in-Black

its listed as supported on the asrock MOBO storage support list. 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer/?cat=Storage

It sounds like it's best to install windows 10 from a bootable USB. After that migrate or maybe better to  re-install other programs from HDD to  M.2  since i have a 7+ year old HDD. 

Or if I decide I just want to leave my programs on my original HDD as my programs/storage drive , do I have to erase the Win 10 OS from my HDD?

Thanks

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Aristoc Aristoc wrote:

windows 10
X99M killer
Noctua NH-U12S
EVGA GTX 1070

Thanks 

You'll need to give us the full model number of you Plextor M.2 SSD. Plextor has more than one model of M.2 SSD, and they are different in their requirements, etc.

Cloning will probably not work. Your HDD is probably not formatted as GPT, which is need if you are using an NVMe SSD. Also, the cloning software being used must support cloning to an NVMe drive, and we have no idea what you will be using.

Edited by Aristoc - 01 Nov 2016 at 5:40am
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 4:27am
at what point in the process as described on page 1 do you install your PCIe SSD manfacturer driver? before or after installing Win 10?

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>
  Share Topic