ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 28>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Steely Steely wrote:

I am using the m.2 slot closest to the proccesor in the Center of the board. I have a I7 6800k Lga2011. I am using the
Sata ports on the side of the board to the right of the x99 chip.

Sounds like I need to move the 600 to the other m2 slot? I have nothing plugged into the ssata ports at this time. CD Rom is in a regular sata port.

Windows does load off the CD but when we get to where I want to install it there's nothing there to install it to. Should I still make a USB Windows loader?

Thank you so much for your help!

As I said, I'm not 100% sure which M.2 slot is M2_1, and M2_2 on your board, but I'm assuming the M2_1 slot is the one closest to the CPU, which you have been using.

You have a Broadwell-E i7-6800K! That explains what is happening to you, given that the M.2 slot you've been using is the one closest to the CPU, which I believe is the M2_1 slot.

From your board's specs:

If you install CPU with 28 lanes, the M2_1 only supports SATA type M.2 module.

Your i7-6800K has 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes. That means for an NVMe SSD like your 600p, you MUST put it in the M2_2 slot, which is the one way below the CPU, in the lower right hand corner of the board.

So yes, move your 600p to the lower M.2 slot! It will also run cooler in that location, since it will be farther from your video card.

Next, you can try to use the Win 10 installation disk, but you MUST set the boot order when you install Win 10 to use the "UEFI:" entry for your optical drive.

When you start the Win 10 installation, choose the Custom installation option. That will show you which drives are available to use for the installation. That way you can verify that the 600p is being recognized.

One more thing, very important, do NOT have any other drives besides the 600p and the optical drive connected to the board! Just those two during the Win 10 installation.

Finally, if even after using the "UEFI:" entry for the optical disk for the Win 10 installation fails, then you will need to create the USB flash drive Win 10 installation media. If you feel like doing that anyway, fine, but you can try the optical disk first, just trying to make it easier for you.

But again, if you were to use a USB flash drive for the Win 10 installation, you MUST select the entry in the Boot Order for the USB flash drive that is, "UEFI: <flash drive name>". You MUST use the UEFI entry regardless of the type of installation media when using an NVMe SSD, like your 600p.
Steely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 2:16am
That is some great information!  Yes the M.2_1 slot is close to the processor. How ever the M2_2 is under my video card.  Not a problem if it will boot to windows though!!  I should be fine once I move the M.2 drive. 

Did I not get the right processor?

Also will I be ok putting the

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR 6GB FTW GAMING w/ACX 2.0+ in this board in the very near future?

Steely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:22pm
The everything works great now! Moved the m.2 to the other slot and Windows installed flawlessly! Thank you for all your help!! You were right on! Happy Holidays!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 10:15pm

That is some great information!  Yes the M.2_1 slot is close to the processor. How ever the M2_2 is under my video card.  Not a problem if it will boot to windows though!!  I should be fine once I move the M.2 drive. 

Did I not get the right processor?

Also will I be ok putting the

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR 6GB FTW GAMING w/ACX 2.0+ in this board in the very near future?

No, you did not get the wrong processor. All X99 boards are more complex than most boards, and the Intel HEDT type processors used in X99 boards have different amounts of PCIe 3.0 lanes.

The less expensive i7-5820K and i7-6800K have 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes, while the more expensive models have 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes. X99 boards are designed to work with both of those types, but the 28 PCIe 3.0 lane models cause a few restrictions with connectivity. As with any PC system, you must be careful about the limitations with connectivity that the system has.

A GTX 980 Ti will work fine in your board. You started with 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU, and your 600p uses four of them in the lower M.2 slot. That leaves 24 lanes. Any single video card will use at most 16 PCIe lanes, so you still have eight left over. Just be sure to use the PCIE2 slot at the top, to get 16 PCIe lanes to the card.

The everything works great now! Moved the m.2 to the other slot and Windows installed flawlessly! Thank you for all your help!! You were right on! Happy Holidays!

See, I told you it would work! Just a little different in the way you must do the Windows installation. Unfortunately, the NVMe SSD manufactures don't make it known to the user that they need to do things differently. We get to coach people about this all the time. LOL

Happy Holidays to you too!
scooterlord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooterlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 6:49am
Hello,  first of all thanks for the excellent guide!

I parsed a few pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer to what I am looking for so here goes. I am posting this only to save some time in case something doesn't work as expected and stay without a working pc.

I am an Asrock Extreme 4 Z97 motherboard and have already installed the latest bios firmware - it states that NVMe has been supported a few versions back.

I have already bought (but not installed yet) an Asus Hyper M2 x4 PCIE adaptor and my Samsung 960 EVO is arriving tomorrow - I bought the adaptor since the motherboard only supports up to 2x speeds and the drive can go up to 4x.

a) I wanted to ask if there is anything additional required compared to the guide on the first page if you want to make a clean install on an M2 drive on a PCIE adaptor.

b) I have prepared a USB flash drive with Windows 10. I used rufus to make the USB bootable. Do you have to select GPT or MBR for UEFI? Is GPT required for all M2 drives?

Looking forward to your answer!
scooterlord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooterlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 1:14am
...answering my own questions

a) changing what the first thread says was enough:

'CSM (Compatibility Support Module.) CSM is Enabled by default. Click on CSM to reveal its sub-options. Change the Launch Storage OpROM Policy setting to UEFI Only.

In the Storage Configuration screen, the SATA Mode should be set to either AHCI (default) or RAID.'

b) I selected GPT for UEFI from rufus.

The procedure was fairly simple:

i) plugged in the pcie 4x with the M2 in a pcie 16x slot - haven't encountered this up to now, but it works, even though the pcie 4x doesn't consume the whole motherboard slot.

ii) changed the above options from my bios.

iii) removed every other storage, booted from usb, installation immediately begun, finished without errors!

I removed all other storage so that the bootloader doesn't get messed up. Now I have the 960 Evo M2 with windows 10 and a Samsung 940 Pro with Windows 7. By default the M2 boots but I can change the boot order by using the bios menu and boot Windows 7 as usual.
kdeuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdeuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 4:41am
My system - Asrock X99 Extreme3, I7 5820, one MSI R9-290 gaming VC, 32 GB of ram, Asus PCIE WLAN, Win 10 64 home

I am pulling my hair out.  After removing all SATA devices (3) I managed to get the 960 EVO to get recognized and have windows up and running.  That only took hours of fun and I lost count of the reboots.  However...  as soon as I plug in one of the other SATA drives the 960 disappears.  It never did show up as an M.2, just as a boot option. 

I managed to get all the chipset drivers, 960 drivers and the 960 firmware updated on the new Win install and it reboots just fine so long as no other SATA devices are connected.  Before I go into an infinite loop of trial and error, where should I go from here?

Thanks,
Kurt
kdeuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdeuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 4:17am
Reading through more posts I finally found the solution, which was plugging in my SATA drives one at a time.  One thing I noticed with this MB, or my configuration, is that if I change ANYTHING with the PCIe slots, it loses the drive in bios again.  I get the feeling that, at least for the Extreme3, the BIOS is in need of some attention with respect to the M.2 slot.  If I move my pcie wireless adapter to a different slot so it does not block my video card fan, it should not cause that much trouble.  I am being very careful backing up my critical files until this thing is stable...
kdeuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdeuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:19pm
Weirdness continues.  Something about either the graphics card and PCIe card together or... something in Windows is causing odd behavior.  When I boot, it seems like there is a delay before windows starts.  There is a blank screen, but if I hit enter then windows starts.  Sometimes the system just starts up like everything is just fine, sometimes it loses the M.2 drive in bios and the only way to make it recognize the drive is to swap the video card and network card in the slots.  I bought a USB adapter so I can get rid of the pcie wireless card, hoping having only one card will untangle this situation.
kdeuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdeuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:15am
One last try to see if anyone can help...  After getting Windows installed and running on the Samsung 960 EVO ssd, there are two things I have observed, both of which are occurring when the system is powered up.

My system:
X99 Extreme3, 32GB Ram, 5820 I7, MSI R9-290 Gaming (only PCIe device)
500gb M.2 960 EVO with Win 10.1 installed

1.  When I power the system up (and the SSD is recognized), there is a noticeable delay in Windows starting and the screen changes to "black".  If I hit the escape key it starts right up and Windows immediately loads.
2.  Every other time I start, I have to change the position of my video card in the system or the SSD is not recognized.

This is not something anyone could live with...  does ANYONE have any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Kurt Evil Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 28>
  Share Topic