ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarithis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm not sure what you've configured in the UEFI, but have you done anything with the CSM option?

You can either set CSM to Disabled (enabled by default) if your video source supports the UEFI GOP protocol. The Intel iGPU does support GOP. Older video cards do not support GOP.

Or with CSM enabled, go into the CSM settings and set Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only. No video source compatibility issue with this method. You must Save and Exit the UEFI for either of these settings to be applied.

After the restart, look for the SSD in System Browser, boot order, or the Windows 10 installation. Also, what are you using for the Win 10 installation, a disk or ISO on a USB flash drive? Either way, you must select the entry for the Windows installation media in the boot order with this format: "UEFI: <device name>" when you boot the installation media. If you are using a disk in an optical drive and you don't find the "UEFI:" entry in the boot order, the optical drive does not support UEFI and you'll need to use a Win 10 ISO on a USB flash drive.

You also need to choose a Custom installation in Windows, delete any/all existing partitions on the SSD in the Custom install screen, and let Windows format the SSD by clicking on New and follow the prompts.

Windows 7 won't work at all, too many problems with UEFI and NVMe support, unless you modify the Win 7 installation files.

I've tried both methods - completely disabling CSM (my GPU supports GOP) and enabling it with Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only and the rest set to Legacy only. Anyway, I've solved my problem. Literally 10 minutes ago I came back from my friend who has a MOBO much newer than mine. It detected the drive, I updated its firmware (1.04 > 1.06). Now it's detected even by my Windows 7 with NVMe hotfix update, click here (image) to see the proof.

Edited by Sarithis - 24 Sep 2017 at 11:55pm
Kaidoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaidoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 3:17am
" I found the instructions on how to set it up in this forum to be a lifesaver."

I'm building a nearly identical pc.  Can you tell me which instructions exactly were the one's that worked?

My problem, specifically, is that I'm having the CDDVD drive device driver is missing error.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Sarithis Sarithis wrote:

I'm not sure what you've configured in the UEFI, but have you done anything with the CSM option?

You can either set CSM to Disabled (enabled by default) if your video source supports the UEFI GOP protocol. The Intel iGPU does support GOP. Older video cards do not support GOP.

Or with CSM enabled, go into the CSM settings and set Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only. No video source compatibility issue with this method. You must Save and Exit the UEFI for either of these settings to be applied.

After the restart, look for the SSD in System Browser, boot order, or the Windows 10 installation. Also, what are you using for the Win 10 installation, a disk or ISO on a USB flash drive? Either way, you must select the entry for the Windows installation media in the boot order with this format: "UEFI: <device name>" when you boot the installation media. If you are using a disk in an optical drive and you don't find the "UEFI:" entry in the boot order, the optical drive does not support UEFI and you'll need to use a Win 10 ISO on a USB flash drive.

You also need to choose a Custom installation in Windows, delete any/all existing partitions on the SSD in the Custom install screen, and let Windows format the SSD by clicking on New and follow the prompts.

Windows 7 won't work at all, too many problems with UEFI and NVMe support, unless you modify the Win 7 installation files.

I've tried both methods - completely disabling CSM (my GPU supports GOP) and enabling it with Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only and the rest set to Legacy only. Anyway, I've solved my problem. Literally 10 minutes ago I came back from my friend who has a MOBO much newer than mine. It detected the drive, I updated its firmware (1.04 > 1.06). Now it's detected even by my Windows 7 with NVMe hotfix update, click here (image) to see the proof.

So you needed to update the firmware of the M8Pey before it would work correctly with a Windows 7 installation? Seems like quite a problem Plextor had if their NVMe SSD could not be detected in any Windows installation. Unless the firmware update was only for Windows 7 installations. They have versions of the same firmware for non-Windows use, so apparently not.

It was never clear to me that this drive could not be detected even by an existing Windows installation, which seemed to be what was happening to you. Any NVMe SSD should work when connected to a PC with Windows 8.1 or 10. Windows 7 would require an NVMe driver be installed.

I'm glad its working, and I'll remember this SSD seems to need this firmware update.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Kaidoo Kaidoo wrote:

" I found the instructions on how to set it up in this forum to be a lifesaver."

I'm building a nearly identical pc.  Can you tell me which instructions exactly were the one's that worked?

My problem, specifically, is that I'm having the CDDVD drive device driver is missing error.

What version of Windows are you using?
peiffer83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiffer83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 2:17am
Please help me:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6203&PID=36924&#36924
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by peiffer83 peiffer83 wrote:

Please help me:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6203&PID=36924&#36924

Problem fixed, the board was bad for some reason. A new board worked with his WD NVMe SSD.

pVlady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pVlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 5:15am
Hello parsec,
I have the ASRock b250m pro4 motherboard and PLEXTOR 512M8PEGN NVMe ssd.
If ssd installed I can't boot PC from USB flash with Win10 iso - the booting begins? I see message "Starting Windows" and after 1-2 seconds PC reboot. If I add SATA HDD (empty withot any volumes on it) the PC boot normally and I can install Win10 on ssd. 
I can boot PC from ssd, but if I disconnect SATA HDD the problem with booting come back.
I can't boot PC with single NVMe ssd.
I tried both methods that you suggest on the top of this theme unsuccessly. 
I see PLEXTOR on the BIOS/Advanced/Storage tab.
I see "Windows Boot ... <PLEXTOR>" at BIOS/Boot tab.
I tried both M.2 slots.
I tried to disable CSM and only set "@Storage OpRom Policy" to "UEFI only".
But I can't boot PC without SATA HDD !!!
The ssd has all partitions needed (efi, msr, system) and HDD is absolutely empty.

The memory was tested using memtest and has no problem.
THIS PLEXTOR SSD work well on Z170 Extreme4 motherboard in single disk configuration.
I need PC with ssd only. Please help me. Is it defect of motherboard or specific property of this model?

System Configuration MB: ASRock B250m Pro4, CPU: Intel Pentium G4600, RAM: 16 GB SAMSUNG DDR4 2400, Disk Drive: 512 GB PLEXTOR 512M8PEGN, Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630, OS: Win10 Pro x64

pVlady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pVlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:52am
The problem has solved. The source of problem was power supply. It has unstable 3.3 voltage line. Initially it was equal 3.116V and increase to 3.392 when HDD connected.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by pVlady pVlady wrote:

The problem has solved. The source of problem was power supply. It has unstable 3.3 voltage line. Initially it was equal 3.116V and increase to 3.392 when HDD connected.

Wow, you went through the whole list of settings in the UEFI to get Windows installed on an NVMe SSD, no doubt driving you crazy due to the failures.

Then the PSU had a problem, seemingly unrelated to an installation problem. You just never know. We could suggest a different PSU but most people would dismiss that as a waste of time, and I get that.

Did you have the bad PSU for a long time, or was it new? Curious what model it was.
pVlady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pVlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 3:04pm

Did you have the bad PSU for a long time, or was it new? Curious what model it was.

It was the new Deepcool DA500 500w RET power supply. I read the good reviews of this model only.
I found the decision by the next way: I tried to disconnect SATA cable from HDD but keep power cable - PC boots well. Consequently I decided that PSU is initiator of the problem. I looked the voltage behaviour in the different modes (with/without HDD) on BIOS/Hardware Monitor tab. The 3.3V line not looks well. I replace PSU with power supply from my old PC and problem disappears. Thank you very much for the attention to my probllem. Best regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 28>
  Share Topic