ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 64GB Ram Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570 64GB Ram Questions
    Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:46am
Hi,

Will be building a x570 (creator or taichi) system.
I need 64GB RAM performing at the highest speed possible.
Not sure what to do.

Choices:
  1. 4 x 16GB (they all seem to be Dual Sided) @ 3600 such G.SKILL Trident NEO F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN

2. 2 x 32GB @ 3000 such as VENGEANCE® LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz CMK64GX4M2D3000C16

• Something else!

• Which will perform better and let me keep Ram speed at 3600 or better?

Thanks!
    skavan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:43am
    oh - it's a 3900x
    gizmic View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:07pm
    why do you need that much ram its a waste of money and surely wont run fast ryzen will always be a 8X2 system you'll just cause headaches not doing so and yes there are a few people on 16X2 or 8X4 but usually arent high clocks unless youre the manual setup type
    Xaltar View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:57pm
    Honestly, this is what the HEDT platforms exist for. If you are going to be
    using the system for workloads that require a lot of fast RAM then you are best
    served by an HEDT system with quad channel memory support.

You can pick up an ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 for less than the price of an
    x570 Taichi or Creator and a 1950x or 2950x for not much more than the 3900x.
    Personally I would wait to see what Threadripper 3 brings to the table but if
    cost is a factor the 2950x should be seeing price cuts even now.

I wouldn't trust 32gb modules yet, especially on AM4. Ryzen 3000 still has
    teething issues and AM4 has never been known for it's RAM support.
    skavan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:35pm
    I own the 3900x.
    I need 64GB despite the reasonable comments about HEDT.

I use very very large "big data" datasets and heavy video processing.
    But I also will use this machine as a daily driver.

So - I hoping someone can address the question I asked...rather than telling me to build a different machine - which is no longer an option!

gizmic View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:18pm
    no one can answer that because QVL only has a 64gb(16X4) kit but only used 16X2 @ 3000 as the fastest highest speed the rest are tested 2666 or lower. So as stated earlier you'll probably be wasting money getting a full 64gb kit and not being able to boot up or run at rated speed of 3600.
    Xaltar View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:34pm
    Your question was phrased with a choice of 2 boards, the natural assumption is
    that you have yet to purchase components for your build. The 3900x is a very
    impressive bit of silicon which in raw performance actually matches and even
    beats the 2950x. The problem with it is that it's still a consumer grade CPU
    and as such only has 2 memory channels. Your best option will always be 2
    modules with regards to speed but 32gb sticks are still in their infancy and
    may not be compatible with AM4 just yet. Given the 3000 series is still having
    issues AMD will not likely focus on adding support for new, highly niche tech
    before addressing other issues. This means your only option is 4x16gb modules.
    This will tax the IMC much more than 2 modules and could limit your maximum
    frequency. That being said, there are quite a few reports of users hitting 3600
    and above with all 4 DIMM slots populated, the question is, will it work with
    16gb modules. If I were you I would reach out to ASRock via a support ticket:

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Inquire if they have or can test a 64gb config @3600 or greater and let you
    know what RAM would be most capable. Be sure to list your board choices and CPU.
    Xaltar View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:52pm
    Additionally, I did address your question:

Quote I wouldn't trust 32gb modules yet, especially on AM4. Ryzen 3000 still has
    teething issues and AM4 has never been known for it's RAM support.

As a bit of an aside, perhaps in future when seeking advice, avoid throwing the
    advice you get back in the faces of the people who took the time out of their
    day to help you, at no cost to you I might add.
    skavan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:57am
    Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful reply.
    With hindsight, I should have been explicit on the fact that I owned the 3900x (but not the mobo, yet -- am waiting on the x570 creator to be released since I really want TB3 and 10GB Lan).
    Sorry to all.

A couple of things to note:
    - the Gigabyte x570 QVL shows ZERO 32GB sticks that can punch past 2666.
    - the Gigabyte x570 QVL shows a few 16GB models where 1,2 & 4 socket support is indicated. Including a HyperX 64GB Kit @ 3200Mhz

Strangely, the Asrock QVL shows a kind of contradictory entry:
    It lists the Trident Z -- F4-3600C17Q-64GTZSW which is a 64GB Kit
    --- but strangely then says it only supports 2 sticks. Which makes no sense to me.

Finally, GSkill has a 64GB, CL16, 3600Mhz Kit that it claims is "Engineered and Optimized for full compatibility on the lastest Ryzen 3000/x570 boards", but only lists the ASUS and GIGABYTE x570 motherboards on its QVL. Even though its not listed on Gigabytes QVL but is listed on ASUS's.

Round and round in circles I go.

I'll try reaching out to asrock as you suggested.

Thanks.

Ray62 View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:31am
    Ryzen Series CPUs (Matisse) Memory support:

Everything else/higher is out of spec and OC.

And four DR sticks can be very problematic.
    But when the RAM is listed in a QVL from any X570 board, it will probably also work with another.
    But do not hope for sticking them in, loading XMP profile and everything is running and also stable.
    You probably will have to increase DRAM voltage, lower timings and/or clock and change other settings.
    Understanding DRAM with Ryzen (Matisse) and the DRAM Calculator can be very helpfull for finding good stable configurations.

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
    Under test:
    MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic