ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID 1 with M.2 SSDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonSafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAID 1 with M.2 SSDs
    Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:31am
I'm trying to set up RAID 1 across 2 M.2 SSDs. Right now, RAIDExpert2 doesn't find any disks and all the array options are ghosted out. Could you please tell me how to set up RAID 1 for a pair of M.2 SSDs?

Hardware:
  • X570 Taichi
  • Ryzen 3600x
  • 2 x Crucial MX500 M.2 2280SS plugged into M2_1 and M2_2

Setup:
  • Advanced > Storage > SATA Controllers = RAID
  • Advanced > AMD PBS > NVMe RAID Mode = enabled
  • Boot > CSM > CSM = enabled
  • Boot > CSM > Both Oprom Policies = UEFI

Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 11:16pm
Because you are using two NVME SSDs, there is no reason to enable Advanced > Storage > SATA Controllers = RAID, just set it to Enabled, if you are using SATA-HDs, or Disabled, if not. Or do you want to use an SATA Raid too?

Oh sh*t, these SSDs are SATA!
Advanced > AMD PBS > NVMe RAID Mode = Disabled

And you have to use M2_1 and M2_3, because M2_2 does not support SATA.

Boot > CSM > CSM = Disabled, i guess.

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
JasonSafro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonSafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 1:39am
I wish I had known that M2_2 does not support SATA. That was probably a big part of the problem that I was having. And yes, it's probably in a manual somewhere.

I just picked up some standard Samsung 860 SSDs and will give it a go with that. I don't want to spend days fighting with my computer just to use an M.2 drive.

ksquared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:46am
OK, it is still easy to miss, but on the ASRock page for the X570 Taichi it says "8 SATA3, 2 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4 & SATA3), 1 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4)" So yes, it would have been more logical to have M2_1 and M2_2 as the optional PCIe or SATA, and M2_3 as the dedicated PCIe slot. (ASRock also needs to fix their page, as they've got the one photo labeled PCIe Gen3 x 4)

I'm wondering though, more theoretically, can the two Samsung 860 SSDs now be used with the two Crucial MX500 M2 SSDs, assuming moving the one from M2_2 to M2_3, as RAID 10?

Can you, once again more theoretically, do a RAID 5 with the three M2 NVMe slots?

And I take it, RAID 10 is not possible with the NVMe slots, because there are only three and you'd need four? Or is it possible to do the RAID 10 with only two ssds and setting the far2 parameter?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic