ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

QC5000-ITX/PH - no post beep, no video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 6:38am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by squadjot squadjot wrote:

I'm having same issues.. no screen , no beep. Cry
I'd also like to know what the default Video out is

Is whatever memory you've installed considered compatible either on the ASRock QVL for this board or by the memory manufacturers 'memory finder' ?

I'm guessing if you were to remove the memory from the board, it WILL beep?
thafiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thafiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by squadjot squadjot wrote:

I'm having same issues.. no screen , no beep. 
I'd also like to know what the default Video out is

In my case neither memory was working (original buy and one of the supported RAM list). I hat to RMA the board, and got it back after about 10 days, now it works. I recall that the DVI port was the first to show an image. But that could be coincidence.

I bought the board several times more (for other systems) and never experienced this Problem again.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'm guessing if you were to remove the memory from the board, it WILL beep?
@squadjot, follow this advice and try different ram if you have some. If it beeps without memory you seem to have pretty much the same issue I had, so I'd recommend RMA in that case.
reddevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 4:44am
I seem to have a similar issue - I have the QC5000-ITX in my self-made NAS, which I use occasionally only.

It used to work fine for a couple of weeks, but then after wanting to turn it on again after a couple of days, there was no video output; CPU fans work, HDDs spin up, but nothing else happens. Disconnected all devices, tried a different video port (HDMI & VGA), no result.

I then connected a PC speaker, nothing happens, even if I take out the memory, there are no beeps... I was expecting that at least when taking out the memory there should be some beeps..

The memory used to work on that board, and still works in another board, so I can rule that out.
Tried to clear the CMOS as stated in the manual, also had the CMOS battery removed for 24h, still nothing..

Anyone having any ideas, or is RMA the only option?

Edited by reddevil - 19 Feb 2016 at 4:59am
thafiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thafiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:06am
Sounds very familiar, and after RMAing, i had no further problems. So this might be your best option.

I'm still curious what they did to the board, maybe a bios upgrade? If you have the same issue as I had, it will POST every now and then, one out of 50 attempts i guess with cooldown breaks after every ~10 attempts(very bad solution but I was desperate). So if you are afraid of that RMA takes too long, maybe you want to try to get it to POST and perform an BIOS upgrade? If that goes wrong you can still RMA the board.

Good Luck!
reddevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 8:27pm
I have a bit of new insight to report.

I removed the RAM from another machine that has a QC5000-ITX / PH board. I connected the PC speaker, it gave me a sequence of 3 beeps; so, the PC speaker was for sure working..
Then, I put the memory from the first machine in that second machine, and guess what - it stopped booting, didn't display any output, PC speaker didn't do any sound.. crap!

Then, on that board, I reset the CMOS with the jumper, and also briefly removed the battery, and it started to boot up again. I had tried it with the RAM that was in initially, and then again changed to the RAM from the first machine, and - it again stopped working.
The RAM modules are from a different vendor, and they also differ in speed, 1333 vs 1600 mghz. But both modules work in two other Desktop machines..

So, then, again, resetting CMOS, I put in yet another module (a slower one even), it booted. I changed the memory again to the one that was in initially (1333 mhz), same effect again, no boot up.. (but at least still pc speaker beeps if all memory was gone)

Same procedure, clear CMOS, booting works again.
I tried to reproduce the error again, but since didn't manage, it always booted up...

But in general, it seems that there is a severe issue if you change the type of memory module; or, it was all just coincidence.. In any case, my confidence in ASRock boards is towards zero, I have not experienced such issues ever before.

I think one issue in general is that, according to http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=286, you are not supposed to get any beep code if the memory is "bad"; I think that itself is already a design flaw, and rather unusual. And further, I have not had any MB that is so "sensitive" to RAM changes...
reddevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 8:52pm
One more report: After having my battery removed for around 48 hours from the machine I initially had issues with (the one that has the QC5000-ITX board with CPU cooler), and no memory installed, I also managed to get that one to beep 3 times on bootup !
I had to then shut it down w/o any memory, I put in a module, and it again didn't work. Tried it 2 more times, and then it worked, BIOS reported the CMOS battery cleared, I entered BIOS and saved changes (wanted to update the BIOS as well, but it seems that it was already on the latest version), then booted, which seemed to work fine.
Tried one more reboot, also that one was fine.

So, maybe that one is fixed as well (not sure *how* exactly though), and not sure why it failed in first place... very unreliable behaviour, I think I will still RMA both boards, maybe I have more luck with new ones
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic