ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extrme 6+ Boot code 00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athirne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extrme 6+ Boot code 00
    Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:27am
After about a month of happy use for my Z170 Extreme 6+ I got an interesting situation. My build would no longer boot after the system went to sleep with some time of long boot/resume times. Now when I turn it on I get the Dr. Debug code 00. This is the 2nd time this has happened.
The first happened and I was able to bring the system back by switching the B BIOS chip and continue using my system that way after struggling to get the CMOS and everything reset. It's quite interesting because it seems these ASRock mobos need to be cmos reset and then take a long time to rebuild after the reset.
Now this happened again two weeks later with the same symptoms but now I don't have another BIOS to switch to. Since I can just switch BIOS chips it doesn't seem like its a CPU issue. It seems like somehow the NVRAM is getting corrupted and preventing it from booting... or just the firmware keeps killing itself somehow. Is there some way to clear out the NVRAM or investigate it being firmware aside from shipping the whole thing in?

Yes I tried reseating the CPU, checking the cooler and socket, only one stick of ram, etc.

Specs:
I7-7600K Skylake
Z170 Extreme 6+ 1.60 FW
G.SKILL RIPSAW 4 16 GB DDR4-2800
Asus GTX 970 4GB GPU
OCZ ZX Series 850W PSU
Samsung EVO 850 1 TB
Windows 10 64-bit (TH2) UEFI install
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
I don't know if this is yet possible where you find yourself at now but ..........

See pg23 of your manual. It instructs how to "recover' the A Main BIOS via backing it up from the B Reserve/Backup BIOS.

Odd. Does your system have a PSU? I don't see one listed.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

Edited by wardog - 15 Nov 2015 at 9:31am
Athirne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athirne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:06am
Neither BIOS gets past the 00 error to the point where it can post So cannot do A to B or vice-versa. Also the OCZ ZX Series 850W PSU is the power supply. It is now sold under the firepower brand.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:23am
Meh, at this point, seeings the backup and main are both acting up I'd contact ASRock Tech Support, tell them the happenings there, and politely request a replacement BIOS chip be sent to you. It may end up costing you all of $5.00, but hey ....

Below are the US contacts I'm aware of.

Support Phone: 1-909-590-8308
Support Email: support@asrockamerica.com
Tech Support E-Mail Request Form

Edited to correct linkage

Edited by wardog - 15 Nov 2015 at 9:25am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:29am
And as a note, you can only do B(ackup) to A(ctive). No vise-versa.

B is also not flashable for obvious reasons.
Athirne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athirne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:14am
Hmm... so if you select the Backup does that auto restore to the Active, or can you run the B firmware as active? Honestly this has always confused me a bit since ASRock firmware seems a bit... different than anything else I have seen in the industry.
For example its CMOS clear, first initialize, and first power on all seems quite strange. Like you power it on after CLR CMOS and it rebuilds the CMOS and values.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Athirne Athirne wrote:

Hmm... so if you select the Backup does that auto restore to the Active, or can you run the B firmware as active?

You can, I say can, run it but that's not it's function. Its function is to follow the instructions on pg23 of the manual to restore the A BIOS.

The B(ackup) BIOS will only recreate itself onto the the A "Main' BIOS if those steps on pg23 are followed.

I think I answered your question. Did I?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:50am
If you clear the UEFI/BIOS, via the jumper or the button on the board's IO panel (BOTH of course done with power removed from the PC), do you still get the 00 POST code from Dr. Debug?

POST code 00 is considered a major CPU error, meaning it cannot start. What are you using for a CPU cooler? Sometimes an over-tightened CPU cooler can  cause problems, since that can move the socket pins off the connection points on the CPU.

After a UEFI/BIOS clear, the POST process is likely running a memory test and possibly memory training. If you watched the POST codes while that happened, you might be able to tell what POST process is taking up time.

I've never seen this situation on any of my ASRock boards, including my Z170 Extreme7+.

Personally, what I would check if I were you would be:
  1. Replace the "CMOS" battery. The NVRAM is no longer a CMOS chip, but the name remains. A flaky battery can cause all sorts of weird things. Have you noticed your time/clock in Windows being wrong? I had to replace the battery in my new Z170 Extreme7+ board. Mother board manufactures use thousands of them, and bad ones that fail prematurely happen.
  2. Remove the CPU cooler and CPU, and check the pins in the CPU socket. Skylake processors have a thinner substrate/circuit board than previous processor generations, so is more likely to bend or warp under excessive or uneven pressure.
  3. While you have the original battery out of the board, leave it out for a long time, over night if possible. Also move the Clr CMOS jumper to the Clear position and leave it there until you put the battery back in.
  4. Actually, I would check if the Clr CMOS jumper is in the correct position. Or check if a cable is pressing on the Reset switch on the board.
  5. If you have another PSU, I would try that too.
Wardog has patiently tried to get you to understand the UEFI/BIOS recovery procedure, which is a manual procedure, not automatic. But since you cannot get into the UEFI UI now, you cannot do it.

Your goal now is to get the PC to POST and get into the UEFI UI. If the 'A' UEFI won't start the PC, hopefully the 'B' will, and if that works, immediately run the Secure Backup UEFI procedure from the UEFI Tools page. You must also physically switch back to the main UEFI with the switch on the board after the Backup procedure is complete.

If all else fails, a TWO new firmware chips may be needed, since both seem to have a problem.

Athirne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athirne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:59am
Yes, always 00.

It's interesting because the 00 code the board doesn't even get far enough to initialize the onboard fan controller. I loosened and checked the cpu cooler again and it still seems fine. This is an interesting error, normally I am used to things being simple on my builds.
I am starting to wonder if its a combination of things. Like a bad mobo or firmware with a dying PSU and bad CPU? I know that there was some strange behavior setting DDR 4 memory settings outside of stock before the 1.60 firmware. That is an unintentional overclock of the base clock for the bus. That might have done something. Anyways, for me it stays as 00, no switching of codes or even initialization of the mainboard's onboard fan controller (the case fans stay off, but since I use a water block (corsair H100i) cooler it doesn't require any power or control of the mobo to run the CPU cooler. Never have to worry about the fan(s) not being powered so long as the system is getting powered.

I carried out the suggested changes bellow, it was interesting that at one point I was able to get the case fans to run, but nothing but code 00. As a side note I think the first time I booted up this computer it lingered at 00 for a while until the BIOS initilized and I was able to get into the delete to set up BIOS. Perhaps it was a defective Mobo all the time?
Clr CMOS jumper and the reset / power switch is clear.
I have a new PSU coming on Thursday (high end corsair I got for 60% off on newegg). Will try again then, but I am pretty sure the firmware chips are just gone by now. Wish there was a flashback system so I could confirm that.

Wardog did a good job, just I find it interesting and the behavior I have seen from my Extrme 6+ is quite different from what I have seen in my almost 20 years of using and building computers. Like most of the other brands that have backup bios dont let you run off of the secondary BIOS, they just reflash and hand back off to the primary. Also I have never had the long time at first boot out of the box where I had to wait a long time for what appeared to be a re-initilization or cmos reset right out of the box. Thats why I kept asking questions, trying to throw as much information up that could be helpful and see if I can ask the right questions.

I am waiting to hear back from ASrock tech support, but I might just call them up (for some reason I couldnt find the phone # to contact them until wardog posted it). Will just order two more chips and ask them to rush them to me. Honestly this has just left me confused, intrigued but confused.
purzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:24pm
Hi,

does anyone has a solution to this problem. I just tried to start my new PC with Asrock Z170 Extreme6+ and get Dr.Debug 00. After clearing CMOS and removing Battery the fans are running, but nothing else.

Setup:
G.Skill D432GB 2400-15 Ripjaws 4 Red K4 GSK
Intel Core i5-6600T
Samsung SSD 512GB2200/900 950Pro M.2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic