ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID enabled won't boot from M.2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAID enabled won't boot from M.2
    Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:05pm
Ok so have an ASROCK x99 Extreme4/3.1

Booting to a M.2 950

- installed this first with no other drives in system, installed fine and configured Win10Ent

Installed all my other SATA drives, maxed out. See all the drive in the OS and UEFI.

The issue I am facing is when I enable RAID then it doesn't recognize the M.2 as a bootable device. I set it as 1st priority in UEFI and tried selecting from boot menu with same results.

The manual says if you use the M.2 it disables S_SATA3_2 so I have nothing plugged in there

Also says if you are using eSATA off rear port then it disables S_STAT3_3 so I do have something plugged in there.

RAID is supported on SATA3_0 to STAT3_5

Here is my drive setup:

M.2 - Samsung SSD

S_SATA3_0 - Crucial SSD (APPS)

S_SATA3_1 - Intel SSD (VM?�s Tier 1)

S_SATA3_2 - OPEN

S_SATA3_3 - HGST HDD (Storage)

SATA3_0 - Kingston SSD

SATA3_1 - Seagate HDD

SATA3_2 - Seagate HDD

SATA3_3 - Seagate HDD

SATA3_4/SATAE_1 - Seagate HDD

SATA3_5 - Seagate HDD

Seagate HDD's will be RAID 5 then flash cached with Kingston SSD to be VM Tier 2 

Anyways I don't think this setup matters just where there plugged in. Can't find anything in UEFI to fix and if software RAID then can't put flash in front of so lose a lot the read speeds and have more potential for RAID failure if a power loss.

Installed the App Shop and updated the UEFI to latest. Did this before I noticed the issue.

Any ideas before I open a support case?

Edited by aspired - 16 Nov 2015 at 1:09pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:37pm
Did you change to RAID by just changing the SATA mode to RAID from AHCI in the UEFI?

If you installed Windows on your 950 Pro (or ANY drive) in any mode besides RAID (IDE or AHCI), then you cannot simply change the SATA mode in the UEFI to RAID. The PC won't boot as you know.

The problem of simply changing to RAID mode after Windows is installed has been an issue for years, at least since Windows 7 and probably before that. It is caused by Windows itself and the way it loads drivers.

There is nothing wrong with the board, the UEFI, or the configuration of your drives.

The workaround for this problem involves a registry edit, but the entries that must be changed are different in different versions of Windows. The usual solution that Intel suggests is installing Windows again with the SATA mode set to RAID before you install Windows.

But ASRock has a program that you can download with APP Shop called Rapid SATA Switch. This program allows you to change to RAID mode when Windows is installed in AHCI or IDE mode.

I have never used it myself, but it has been downloaded over 14,000 times, and I have never seen anyone complain about it in this forum. That tells me it works and I suggest you use it to change to RAID mode.
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Did you change to RAID by just changing the SATA mode to RAID from AHCI in the UEFI?

If you installed Windows on your 950 Pro (or ANY drive) in any mode besides RAID (IDE or AHCI), then you cannot simply change the SATA mode in the UEFI to RAID. The PC won't boot as you know.

The problem of simply changing to RAID mode after Windows is installed has been an issue for years, at least since Windows 7 and probably before that. It is caused by Windows itself and the way it loads drivers.

There is nothing wrong with the board, the UEFI, or the configuration of your drives.

The workaround for this problem involves a registry edit, but the entries that must be changed are different in different versions of Windows. The usual solution that Intel suggests is installing Windows again with the SATA mode set to RAID before you install Windows.

But ASRock has a program that you can download with APP Shop called Rapid SATA Switch. This program allows you to change to RAID mode when Windows is installed in AHCI or IDE mode.

I have never used it myself, but it has been downloaded over 14,000 times, and I have never seen anyone complain about it in this forum. That tells me it works and I suggest you use it to change to RAID mode.

OK that was my next thought, reinstall OS. That's actually pretty quick and didn't do much to it but install.

I installed the APP Shop to upgrade the board fast so I'll look for that option there first.

Thanks for the fast response! I really like the motherboard so far, once get this adjusted can finalize the build.
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 11:07am
So bad news.

The ASrock RAID fix from the App Store did not fix the issue. 

Also the reinstall of the OS did not fix the issue.

Messed around a bit more but no more success. Tried to open case from UEFI but stuck @ 5% so have to do from website.

Bummer!
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:48pm
Well I opened a support case. Unfortunately this is a serious issue for my build and if doesn't work will have to get another motherboard. I read the whole manual before purchasing and nothing related to this not being supported.

Strange though don't even get a case number when create a case and heavy push to contact reseller. Resellers say the opposite, they want you to contact manufacturer. Might have to contact NewEgg and see about return but give it a week to see what happens.

aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:03am
Well to confirm not a OS issue I will install Windows 8.1 Ent and test.
Then to confirm not a M.2 issue I will installed OS to a non RAID SATA3 drive

Past that I have nothing left I can think of to test so if anyone has a ideas that would be great!

Or if anyone has setup this setup (OS on non RAID but running RAID for data) before and got it working without issue on this or similar ASRock board.
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:46pm
Looked for a firmware update for Samsung SSD 950 PRO = nothing
- they just came out as I had to preorder so didn't expect much

tested base again to know where I am still at
= as soon as disable RAID windows boots Win 10 Ent

Tried switching S_SATA drives to IDE based on another forum post = no change

noticed when I enable and disabled RAID with an array built that
the array goes into a failed status and I see 2 drives ID2 and ID3
showing as non member disks

Unplugged ID2 and ID3 which is SATA3_2 and STAT3_3
build a new RAID 5 array on the 3 disks
tried to boot to OS on M.2 = no change
so just confirms not a typo in the manual when says S_SATA3_2 is shared with M.2

Installed windows 8 with RAID enabled on SATA3 drives and array built on but installed OS on M.2 drive just like win 10 before = booted

Ok so something with Windows 10 or lack of UEFI full support for win 10 yet

great I hate windows 8.1
maybe if I lay over 10 on 8.1 instead of fresh install or back to Windows 7 but then loose Hyper-V

Anyways making some progress it seems, few more hours of troubleshooting and should have something usable hopefully and can use this more instead on my physical lab that is expensive to run and tedious to keep updated.

Edited by aspired - 18 Nov 2015 at 1:02pm
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Do you or anyone know the Windows 10 reg edits or have a link to a knowledge article on the subject matter?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:36pm
I can't find one specific to Win10 in what little I did spend Googling it but here's one that covers Win8

http://superuser.com/questions/530464/switching-from-raid-to-ahci-with-windows-8
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:11am
Here what worked, what least  for me.

Installed 8.1 then lay 10 over it. 

This keeps the MBR partitions from 8 and seems to boot fine. The GPT partitions that 10 creates seem to possibly be the issue.

Installing 10 then doing the 8 reg edits have no effect.

It's not a perfect solution but later I will backup and try to get 10 on a straight install and maybe get a few UEFI updates from ASrock and some Windows 10 updates by then to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic