ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID enabled won't boot from M.2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ziko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:42pm
I had the same Problems with my X99 Extreme 4 3.1.
Switched from Bios A to B,, upgrade....
My first Asrock and my last Asrock.
Today it dont boot.
Freeze at Asrock logo.
Power off at PSU and power on and it boots.
Yesterday the Windows repair Screen appears.
Worst shxxt i brought in my entire life.
Let aside overclocking or other things.
Asrock wont BOOT !!!! not to speek about RAID, M2, AHCI and other stuff.
Sorry guys, but ist true.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:14pm
Sorry for missing your progress.

I have an ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 with Windows 10 installed in RAID mode, using a Samsung SM951 as the OS drive. The SM951 is not an NVMe type of SSD, while the 950 is, and that may make a difference.

Also, I always install Windows in UEFI mode, so the OS and other drives are formatted as GPT. GPT partitioning has no affect on installing in RAID mode.

My question is why you are getting GPT partitions suddenly with Windows 10.

I just remembered that my Windows 10 installation on the SM951 is a clone from a SATA SSD.

This is not a mother board issue, you would have the same situation with any X99 board. Your issue is related to the Intel RAID driver when installing Windows on a drive that does NOT use the same storage controller.

Are you installing Windows with any other drives powered up in the PC besides the 950?

When installing Windows on your 950 Pro, have you modified the CSM option settings in the UEFI from the default settings before you start the Windows installation?

Minimally, you should have the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only. When you select your Windows installation media as the first boot device, are you seeing multiple options for that device, one with the prefix "UEFI" and another with "AHCI"? If so, which entry are you using?

Using the UEFI prefix causes the Windows EFI bootloader to be used, which is required for PCIe SSDs.

Sorry, half asleep while writing this, not a good thing while trying to explain this situation. More later...
aspired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 2:45pm
Initially I have just slapped the workstation together with just the M.2 and didn't even go into the UEFI and it installed flawlessly to my surprise after reading all the difficulties on various MB.s with the 951 so I was pretty happy.

Both win8.1 and win10 where created from .iso with good old Rufus to make bootable USB's using UEFI not classic.

When I was trying to reistall win 10 again and had all my other drives installed and deleted the old install volumes I click my app SSD and notice it said it couldn't install there as was not GPT. I didn't get this error when installing 8. According the MSDN UEFI loads will always be GPT.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898510(v=vs.85).aspx

Also there is a different partition layout of a layover install than a fresh install.

I did not change that setting in the UEFI your referring to. Was on my list to test next as I noticed some others changing on ASUS boards.

But it's running great with the overload so at this time I don't plan on messing with. I have my lab up and running and am happy enough.

Ran some heavy IOPS testing and things are pretty decent but need to do some benchmarking and overclock a slight bit.

Thanks for the reply's!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic