ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - windows 10 upgrade on z97 extreme 6, win 8.1 on sm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

windows 10 upgrade on z97 extreme 6, win 8.1 on sm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windows 10 upgrade on z97 extreme 6, win 8.1 on sm
    Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 4:50am
Looking for advice re best way to upgrade win 8.1 on sm951 on z97 extreme 6 to win 10.
Sorry if this is already written up.  (I looked through last 23 pages of the forum (back to july), read parsecs guide to installing windoes on sm951 boot drive etc - but I'm looking for specific discussion of best way to do the upgrade.)

Backup all essential data and the system, then  push the upgrade button (making sure only sm951 is powered on) with copies of drivers (from asrock win 10 minisite) handy on a usb drive?

Or, has anyone found that a different upgrade process is better?  
Should I expect any trouble?

I've read some discussion about problems with network drivers for win 10 - am I better off leaving the old drivers in place if the upgrade doesn't add the new ones?

Also interested in observations about how win 10 performs on this platform relative to win 8.1 - any noticeable differences? Any comments on win 10's new memory management?

Any help most appreciated.

Edited by CrazyDingo - 18 Nov 2015 at 9:13am
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm
CrazyDingo,

The following link contains information at a forum I visit about upgrading qualified Windows to the latest Windows 10 version.  You should be able to use the method discussed there to upgrade your version of Windows 8.1.

Scroll down to the post started by Freddy.  That post starts the comments you should focus on to get the information you need:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30413157-First-Major-Update-for-Windows-10-available-today~start=120

The .iso file referenced in those posts is found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

You may have to copy the links above and paste them to you browser address bar.

Dan

Later Edit:  if you need additional information, feel free to register on the dslreports forum at above link and ask.

Edited by Dan - 18 Nov 2015 at 7:22pm
CrazyDingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 11:26am
Thanks Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic